Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Winch Post Adjustment

I'm a little concerned about how the ski sits on my trailer. There's about 14" of hull that's not supported by the bunks and it seems the ski could sit a little more forward to get more support as there's a gap toward the bow between the hull and bunks due to how high it is. I've searched around and there were a few posts here that had similar issues and basically the comments were the trailer's too short. The trailer handles fine. I just measured the tongue weight at the swivel stand wheel and it's 78.8lbs.

The trailer is a COM-FAB PWT800G model. https://comfabtrailers.com/products/pwt-800g
    According to the specs the carrying capacity is 775lbs and GVWR is 1000lbs. The 2019 EX Deluxe weighs 600lbs and a full tank of gas is about 110lbs. Load spec wise I'm OK but there's nothing about max boat length.

I'm thinking about adjusting the winch post a little further forward and the roller a little down. I calculated I could move the post about 10" forward and it would be ideal. I'm not sure if the handle wont hit the bow and/or the hull will touch the trailer at the Y.

Can the winch post be safely moved with the ski on the trailer? I don't think it'll slide off if I lift it up and have someone remove the post. One of the U clamps holding the winch post is inside the Y at the end of the tongue. Should I worry that if I move the clamps past the Y, to the tongue they could slide? Luckily for me torquing things down isn't an issue, usually the issue is not breaking the bolts off.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 8.23.48 AM.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	455837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 9.00.12 AM.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	455838  
    Last edited by norcom; 11-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    You can probably move it forward if you pay attention to the hull while doing so. If you do move it forwards, you will increase the tongue weight so be mindful of that.

Sean

+1
    Also, your rear straps may be able to be moved...aren't there tie downs on the rear of the ski?

I attach the strap from those directly to the trailer tie down spots. One for each side.

That way you don't have to worry about damage to the upper deck.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    You can probably move it forward if you pay attention to the hull while doing so. If you do move it forwards, you will increase the tongue weight so be mindful of that.

Sean
    I was thinking that right now the engine is centered directly over the rear axle and the tongue weight looks to be about the recommended "9-15%" of the weight. So moving it would make the hull sit better on the bunks but could have an adverse affect on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    Also, your rear straps may be able to be moved...aren't there tie downs on the rear of the ski?

I attach the strap from those directly to the trailer tie down spots. One for each side.

That way you don't have to worry about damage to the upper deck.
    There are tie downs on the rear. I've debated on this as well and tried a few different ways to ratchet it down. Because the trailer is so short the straps touch the bottom of the hull over a large angle/area when using the rear tie down points. The metal hooks were touching it and I figured it was worse to damage the hull than the upper deck. I tried extension strap loops just to try and see how well that would work and the SeaDoo strap that has the hook over the stern but in the end stuck with routing the strap over the deck.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    I will take heat for this But please look into strapping over ski.
    If the tie downs are straight up and down from trailer to transom , then Ok But straps on an angle do very little beside keep it from sliding off the back..
    I have seen too many ski and boats get fucked up because the 2 back straps do Nothing in an emergency stop or u rear end somebody.. or somebody rear ends your ski-- had that happen to me ,thank god that thing was strapped down from trailer over seat to trailer...
    I love following somebody with back straps and watching the ski dance on the trailer bunks on overpasses and train tracks..

Name:	04cd191be06fc08cc9f1f909acabf843.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	455873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haha.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	455874  

6. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom View Post
    I'm a little concerned about how the ski sits on my trailer. There's about 14" of hull that's not supported by the bunks ... basically the comments were the trailer's too short.

... According to the specs the carrying capacity is ... 2019 EX Deluxe weighs ... Load spec wise I'm OK but there's nothing about max boat length.

I'm thinking about adjusting the winch post ...

Thanks for any suggestions!
    The trailer certainly looks like it is too short for the hull.

A trailer must not only handle the weight of the watercraft with proper tongue weight, the trailer must also fit the hull. Length of frame and bunks, minimal rear overhang, near vertical rear tie down strap angles, correct bow roller height, and so on.

I suggest you purchase a trailer that is a better fit for your watercraft and sell this one. The cost difference might be a few hundred dollars? A small percentage of the value of the watercraft and your tow vehicle, with reduced risk of problems during emergency highway maneuvers and damage potential from bouncy road conditions.

A new trailer would be nice but this will have to work for now.

I moved the winch post and the roller. No issues doing it with the ski on the trailer; it wasn't going anywhere and was pretty hard to move. The ski sits much more level now. Before when I was getting it out of the water I had to lift it manually just to get the nose over the roller.

The the hull now extends about 10" past the bunks. Bunks end right where the ride plate starts. The tongue weight went up. I previously measured the weight wrong at the swivel stand wheel. This time at the swivel wheel stand it was around 135lbs but then I searched on how/where to measure it and realized I needed to do it at the ball coupler. The weight was 104lbs there. Seems within the 60-100lb range of the manufacturer specs.

I don't like how close the ski sits to the Y of the trailer. Doesn't seem like it would ever touch there as the hull sits almost completely on the bunks but I don't know if there's a chance of it hitting the Y while in the water. I'm thinking of putting a bow roller there.

I can now fit the SeaDoo strap with the hooks to the rear tow point. I could do it before with a longer strap but it seemed like it was rubbing more. Not sure, just seems to fit better.

Any thoughts on if I should I keep the yellow roller where it's at or move it up towards the lip? I have to raise the ski up a little if I keep it where it's at. Though not as much as before.

Thanks!

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.15.43 PM.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	455891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.16.10 PM.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	455892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 9.16.25 PM.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	455893  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom View Post

I don't like how close the ski sits to the Y of the trailer. Doesn't seem like it would ever touch there as the hull sits almost completely on the bunks but I don't know if there's a chance of it hitting the Y while in the water. I'm thinking of putting a bow roller there. ...

Any thoughts on if I should I keep the yellow roller where it's at or move it up towards the lip? ...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2995602

How close is the bow roller to the actual bow eye where the strap clips on?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

How close is the bow roller to the actual bow eye where the strap clips on?
    The bow eye is touching the roller. It’s right behind the roller, its a long handle. You can see the bottom part of it right under the roller in the first picture of my last post. After loading on the trailer, the roller and bow eye are in the exact same spot as before I moved the assembly. But now I dont have to physically lift the ski on top of the roller. Thats why the roller is so bent.

Turns out I didnít take the trailer weight into consideration when calculating the acceptable tongue weight. With the trailer and no gas Iím at 9% and with gas Iím a little over 10%. So the tongue weight before I changed the winch post was way too light. Though it was nice on my back when I had to move it. Adjusted it some more and tongue weight at ball height is 95lbs. Trailer, ski and a full tank weigh 935lbs.

Ordered a keel roller assembly to put at the Y. Donít think a full bow roller would fit there without moving the ski up. Hopefully itís enough to keep the hull protected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information