Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.s View Post
    Hi,
    I'd say 1/2 tank, why?
    The other question I'd ask is, if the ski was ever previously flipped/cap-sized during its last outing.

There is a fuel tank vent outlet right behind the cluster gauges, which allows excess fuel tank vapors to escape. That seems to appears where the fire damage is nearest in your pics. My theory is that maybe raw fuel liquid may have been present at this location, aka a saturated vent. Yet even if this were, one would still need an ignition source, which I cannot theorize. But for raw fuel, maybe this is possible?? That said, there is a vapor separator in this system that should prevent raw fuel from exiting if caught in the vent lines. The vent line also deliberately routes below the tank at one point along the path, as to prevent a siphon forming during capsized events. In other words, Yamaha has engineered several safety mitigation factors into the tank vent system. So I'm trying to ascertain what the ski was subjected too previously, that might have overwhelmed the vent system - if it is indeed a contributing factor.

+1
    I thought tank vent was air in only, not vapour out? Hence why my fuel tank has positive pressure and releases vapour when opening the fuel filler cap?

seperator was to catch any water that entered the vent line before it got to tank?

+1
    Well, the vent system is a lot more complex than just a tube open to air. And when things are complex, they can often be prone to failing/malfunctioning.
    In some Yamahas, there is both check-valve (activated on inversion) and a relief valve - anyone of which could have failed, and given that fire damage seen in the photo, guess we'll never know.
    There is also two devices inline which should separate and raw liquid from vapor/air, and on my older craft, one of these separators has a manual drain cap equipped. Once again, if a ski has been even capsized or ridden very aggressively (wave-jumping, etc...) the vent system should be inspected.
    I hear your point, but I still see the catch can more to separate raw fuel out of the vent line, as it is relatively closer to the tank-end of the entire routing of the line. After that catch comes an intentional "low-loop" (which if you invert the craft, becomes a high-loop to stop water from siphoning in from vent discharge. Last, I think it is more a safety mitigation than a performance one, as in we don't EVER want the system to EVER discharge raw fuel.
    That said, there is a 2nd catch device (at least on my craft) up behind the dash cluster where the vent system terminates, and I'd agree that this one likely prevent water encroachment.

Yes, as far as the whoooosh we all hear upon opening the gas cap, I think you already know the pressure in your tank is vapor-pressure, which is normally present for gasoline containers, and varies depending on void volumes and temps. Reid Pressure I think its called, and yamaha (likely to comply with hydro-carbon regulations) allows this pressure to be retained - yet to a safe margin, while allowing excess vapor to slip by via that inline relieve-valve. So the valve is establishing preset allowed Reid pressures. So could there be hydro-carbon at that exit location??? I my mind, it is certainly plausible.

+1
    Looks pretty simple http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....amahapwc&a=262

check valve at tank end, separator in the middle, vent at the top.....

vent let’s air in only, separator catches any water that gets in vent, check valve stops fuel exiting tank when inverted....

check valve could fail, separator filled with fuel.....

if vent was air it atmospheric pressure but vapour out at excess pressure....would need some complex mechanism for a $9 part
    F1G-62149-00-00 looks like the same vent system is used on most 08 onwards waverunners

5. +1 by:

+1
    Damn... I pay about $450/year for insurance coverage on 2 skis. That gets me coverage for damage/loss to the skis, a half million in liability insurance when I ride my skis or someone else's, towing coverage and medical coverage when I'm doing anything with the skis (riding or working on them).

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

7. +1 by:

+1
    All said ... even if fuel or vapor made it up the vent lines... still need an ignition source - that I haven't got a theory for yet.

+1
    If the drain valve was open on the water separator, fuel vapour could exit there
    But as said it would still require an ignition source

Hi,
    you are lucky ins.for 2 jet-skis 450? How about 770/y for one ski where I'm. Anyway, next jetski is getting ins.for sure.
    cheers
    Bogdan

Hi all who were following my story,
    well than, yamaha took it seriously and sent a guy to check my burned ski, they found no fault on their part so did I. Nobody fault to be determinable, not the best outcome but my Yamaha Gold Coast Waverunners guys were very understanding and forthcoming to help me with my lose. They helped me to recover and I was able to acquire a 2018 VX deluxe with only 10hrs on it. Got insurance on this one, hahha. Back on water this coming weekend.

cheers
    Bogdan
    ps. just a quick question, I see some ppl have nice gps units installed, is it advisable, is it helping? Do you notify your insurance?

+1
    Great outcome
    But are you any wiser as to what the cause was ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information