Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question New - to me - 2000 Ultra 150

Hey Everyone,

Just bought a garage kept 2000 Ultra and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it. The PO said they were having a good time and it just bogged down and lost power. Carbs are new-ish from Kawasaki he said. They were replaced 3 years ago. It starts and runs fine it seems. I've looked at the pump and the wear seal doesn't look bad, a little rust around it, but looks like the gaps are all even. After I charge the battery, I'm going to do a compression test on it, speaking of that, how do I clear the cylinders, or do I need to?

Is there anything else that I need to check before I attempt to start it up again? The PO started it up for me whenever I went to look at it. It started just as it should (choke until it starts, choke off and start again). Revved it up a little and it seemed to idle fine as well. No warnings on the screen either. I've read the long post about the pyramid, and I plan on checking all of that as well. I looked at the F/A and the seals and plates are all installed correctly. I can't think of anything else. Let me know what you guys think.

Do a compression test to start, these will run on two cylinders and sound healthy out of the water but once put in the water not run at all. What your describing sounds like a seizer.

You can start by pulling and inspecting the plugs. If you have a dead cylinder the plugs will probably show that. At least they did for both of my seizures. Once the plugs are out you should definitely do a compression test. If you don't have the tool you can borrow one from a local auto parts store. Make sure you use the fitting that matches up to the spark plug threads.

Did a compression test, 1=105, 2=110, 3=110. This was performed with a compression tester from advance auto, so probably not that good. But the difference between them from what I've read is good. Just charged the battery, so all starts were consistent. Would it be safe to start now and run some fresh water through it? Also, is salt-away a good thing to run through them and let sit? Thanks for the quick replies by the way. Checked the plugs, plug 1 was a little wet and black, second one was dry, 3rd one was similar to the first, but had a little corrosion it looked like on the base of the threads where the side electrode comes down.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    buy a cheap inspection camera from amazon and take a look inside the jugs, easier then pulling them for the moment

crank bearings could be done, top end still good ( for now)

lets see some pics

I'll get some pictures up soon. So the black and wet plugs mean that those cylinders are running rich, correct? I ordered a borescope, so I'll look in the jugs and post those pictures as well once I get them.

Yes but im concerned about the loss in power a set of gead gaskets would be cheaper then a bore scope.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I got my borescope for $20 and boy it's useful for a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't anticipate around the house

something like this $22 buckeroos

https://www.amazon.com/Seesi-Endosco...dp/B07PBF6DX5/

Btw, if you happen to want to peek into the gas tank (for debris or whatever) don't let the end of the scope (camera) touch the fuel. Ask me how I know lol.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Cranofwaterfell View Post
    Btw, if you happen to want to peek into the gas tank (for debris or whatever) don't let the end of the scope (camera) touch the fuel. Ask me how I know lol.
    So borescope coming in today, will take pictures once it comes in and post them, and won't let it touch the fuel if I check out the tank. I'll post pics of the ski, plugs, and jugs. Thanks for all the replies. Hope there's not too much wrong with this thing, looks like it will be a blast. BTW, I've read that sponsons and a ride plate will make this thing a lot more stable in the water. Is it really that twitchy in rougher waters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information