Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Universal Arduino gauge .

As these skis get older its getting harder and harder to find a decent replacement gauge for these skis. I have been thinking of an idea now I don't have enough experience to make it happen so i wanted to reach out to the board here. Has anyone tried or could we come tother and try to make an open source gauge for these older skis thats universal.

I posted in Polaris because i have owned many Polaris skis and know how hard it is to find a gauge for these skis. $200 for a used gauge and only half the display works. I know these gauges are simple as far as how the read the sensors.

I also know we could get new functions like actual temperature and better speed readings via onboard GPS. This is a big community and this could evolve in to something bad ass that could be used on a bunch of other skis.

So what im asking is anyone down to try to make a universal open source gauge for these skis?
    Last edited by K447; 11-06-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: open source!!!

+1
    I've thought about it. I 100% have the programming skills to make it happen. I just have no electrical engineering experience. I think when one of my MFDs dies I will end up doing it. A lot of stuff is just reading resistances and turning it into a number humans can read: http://www.circuitbasics.com/arduino-ohm-meter/

Fuel gauge works off resistance, you just need to read what the resistance is when it's empty, when it's full, and then do some math to interpolate fuel level based on resistance.

You can replicate anything with an arduino, really. I even considered programmable electronic valves when mine die. It's just getting a signal and telling something to do something based on what the value of the signal is.

You can make ignition systems with an arduino or raspi too. All it does it get a signal, adds a delay (timing curve), then triggers the coils.

Before I get into it I need something to die and for me to be too cheap to find a replacement, lol. Unless there's some sort of huge demand and people would pay me to make them, though I'd probably release designs for free on GreenHulk since this forum is awesome for polaris people.

I mean I understand the resistance and all how it works I would be happy to take mine apart and get the min and max values using an ohm meter.. I think it’s time as my gauge is on it’s last leg and it sucks anyway lol. I’m sure a lot of people on here feel the same way about their polaris.. I’m down to collaborate

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnissan View Post
    I mean I understand the resistance and all how it works I would be happy to take mine apart and get the min and max values using an ohm meter.. I think it’s time as my gauge is on it’s last leg and it sucks anyway lol. I’m sure a lot of people on here feel the same way about their polaris...
    The ohm resistance numbers have been posted. Click my signature link, then find the info on fuel senders.

Polaris fuel level senders use the marine standard of 33 ohms when full, 240 ohms when empty. In between are fixed ohm ranges for each of the eight fuel tank ‘levels’, each ohm increment being 1/8 tank.

Not sure what aspect of the OEM gauge ‘sucks’. The Polaris OEM digital MFD displays were quite advanced at the time, when compared to the other PWC brands.

Over time the original MFD have now aged and a lot of them need repair or do not work properly now. For the oval MFD we do know how to repair the common ‘faded LCD digits’ problem.

For the time yea they were great 20 years ago. But at 300 bucks a pop for a used one and with and with arduino being so cheap it’s not out of the question to make a Gauge for these that’s in color and pretty and maybe adds gps speed or actual engine temp.

And I’m all too familiar fixing these gauges and for me oval or the other one you need to take apart about every 6 months to year as the display starts doing it’s thing again . I would like another option I’m running out of boards and I don’t want to spend money again on another gauge.
    Last edited by K447; 11-06-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: arduino

this is where I’m at now... be really cool to do this instead of spend 300 on a used gauge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15D9B759-ABEA-4810-9C39-B12B0D68EB41.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	455814  

if the oil ohm readings are the same then I feel like this gauge should work with little modifications.. anyone else think so it should pick up the tach signal and all the other things might even be able to give an actual temp and gps speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	096F9659-7659-46D6-959A-70204197A507.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	635.8 KB 
ID:	455815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E35148B8-1C5A-410C-B5CD-7BE9B3E90416.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	455816  

+1
    Product name or link to the actual product page?

I lost the exact one I was looking at when I switched over to here but this is the same one just different color..

ELING 6 in 1 Multi-Functional Gauge Meter GPS Speedometer Tachometer Hour Water Temp Fuel Level Oil Pressure Voltmeter 12V 85mm with Backlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785NF5XH..._m4MWDbDFWXYY2

so I know
    red with blue stripe =power
    black=ground
    tan=temp
    pink=fuel 33-240ohms
    blue= oil 33-240 ohms (I believe this is correct )
    yellow= tach

i think that’s all I think it should work ? Lol

+1
    https://www.amazon.com/ELING-Multi-F...3055217&sr=8-3

I rather like it. Need to find a legible PDF download for the instructions.

Too bad the buttons are on the back side of the mounted unit
    And the electrical connection pins are not a sealed connector type.

Quote Originally Posted by whatnissan View Post
    I lost the exact one I was looking at when I switched over to here but this is the same one just different color..

ELING 6 in 1 Multi-Functional Gauge Meter GPS Speedometer Tachometer Hour Water Temp Fuel Level Oil Pressure Voltmeter 12V 85mm with Backlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785NF5XH..._m4MWDbDFWXYY2

so I know
    red with blue stripe =power
    black=ground
    tan=temp
    pink=fuel 33-240ohms
    blue= oil 33-240 ohms (I believe this is correct )
    yellow= tach

i think that’s all I think it should work ? Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information