Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winterization help

I'm doing my RXT X 300 and my daughter's TRIXX. When I blow air through the hose inlet I don't get a lot of water coming out and I mean a tiny amount from both. I'm using plenty of pressure and a large compressor tank. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated guys. It's getting pretty cold here in the Northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    I'm doing my RXT X 300 and my daughter's TRIXX. When I blow air through the hose inlet I don't get a lot of water coming out and I mean a tiny amount from both. I'm using plenty of pressure and a large compressor tank. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated guys. It's getting pretty cold here in the Northeast.
    how much water were you expecting to come out??

I probably get less than one cup full of water out myself.

+1
    I blow my 300 out right after flushing. I rev the engine and blow out most of the water before I hook up the air hose. I have never measured the amount of water, but I would guess that it is about 2 cups.

I got maybe a half cup out of both machines. I'm going to do the anti-freeze thing for peace of mind.

On my '18 GTX 300 I also get only a small amount of water removal with the air flush. However, I've noticed that if I start the engine briefly afterwards, for about 5 seconds or so, a lot more water comes out. I very slowly repeat that several times over the course of 20 minutes or so to ensure the carbon ring does not heat up, running the engine for just a few seconds at a time. A lot more water comes out.

Sea-Doo's air flush method alone does not effectively remove the remaining water in the system.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    On my '18 GTX 300 I also get only a small amount of water removal with the air flush. However, I've noticed that if I start the engine briefly afterwards, for about 5 seconds or so, a lot more water comes out. I very slowly repeat that several times over the course of 20 minutes or so to ensure the carbon ring does not heat up, running the engine for just a few seconds at a time. A lot more water comes out.

Sea-Doo's air flush method alone does not effectively remove the remaining water in the system.

That's very good info to have. I store my 300 in a heated shop and only do the air method one time. I would hate to think that damage would occur if stored in freezing temps since the shop manual no longer mentions flushing and filling the exhaust system with antifreeze. BRP must think that the air technique is adequate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post

You'll never get all the water out of the exhaust, no matter how many times you crank it. If you keep it in a heated garage like I do, just start it for a few seconds about once a month and you'll be fine. If you remove the battery and let it sit for the winter, you'll be fine also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    You'll never get all the water out of the exhaust, no matter how many times you crank it. If you keep it in a heated garage like I do, just start it for a few seconds about once a month and you'll be fine. If you remove the battery and let it sit for the winter, you'll be fine also.
    Why would you start it at run it for a few seconds like that? Most wear on an engine happens at cold starts, before you get oil pressure and the engine is up to normal running temperature. Short starts like that must be about the worst you could do?

I took everybody's advice and did the antifreeze thing yesterday. They took about 3/4 gallon each. I also saw a mess of leaves/pine needles in my daughter's TRIXX jet pump. The shaft side looked clean, the exhaust side when I hit the throttle and the reverse gate lifted up, not so much. That would explain her performance problems on the last ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    Why would you start it at run it for a few seconds like that? Most wear on an engine happens at cold starts, before you get oil pressure and the engine is up to normal running temperature. Short starts like that must be about the worst you could do?
    I use a similar technique with my engines. Two or three times during the off season, I spin my engines over to spread oil, but do not start them. I think that is better protection than simply using fogging oil.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information