Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Battery Tender Question (Batt not passing 80% to “Full”)

Hello all, hope everyone has had or is having a great season!

Hey, I have a new-to-me situation and I’ve scoured the web as well as DelTran’s website and hope someone here with more “experience electrical” than I might have an insight:

Charger in question is a DelTran Battery Tender Plus 12V, 1.25A Battery Charger (https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...f_=nav_signin&)

My battery stays hooked up onboard my ski and I normally only keep the charger hooked up to the battery until I get a SOLID GREEN light (battery, “Full”), at which time I remove the charger until I repeat the process several weeks later, depending upon ambient high or low temps, etc. (Ski is kept inside a climate-controlled storage facility at all times when not in use)

What would cause situation where the charger constantly has GREEN LIGHT FLASHING (indicates 80% charged or better)? That is, it never gets to a SOLID GREEN light which would indicate “Full”

I’ve tried rearranging the alligator clips and I am confident they are getting more than a sufficient “bite” on the + and - terminals — the charger never “blinks red” which would indicate “incomplete or incorrect connection(s)”

And, it does not take anytime at all to go from solid red light (“charging”) to FLASHING GREEN light (indicates battery is at at least 80% charged or better) but,

the darn thing never goes to SOLID GREEN light (which would indicate “Full” charge at which time I usually unhook the charger leads from the battery, for several weeks to a month and then I’ll repeat the whole process which normally only takes 30-60 minutes before the SOLID GREEN light comes on and stays on ...)

Not sure if my challenge is with the charger or the battery ...

Thanks in advance for any insight!

+1
    Try using the charger on another battery and see what happens.

+1
    Have several Battery Tenders – just not that model. That said, the chart shows it’s not that robust of a unit, so any issues with a battery will likely be less tolerated.

Is the issue with the battery or the charger?? Yes, could be either, but I’d put more money on it being the battery. Please describe the type of battery you have… is it OEM? Is it a sealed after-market? How old is it? CCA? Has it ever reached an empty or near-empty charge state once or twice before?

I have a few theories, but I’d like to get some more background on the battery 1st – thanks.

+1
    Yes, thanks. Gonna do that as soon as I get back into town from an unexpected commitment!

+1
    Morning, Bandit!

2 year’s old OEM ... never any issues before ... VXR dash typicallybshows 13-14 on startup and then goes down to 12.6 (that’s if IIRC , we winterized ‘em into storage couple weeks ago ...)

+1
    Ok. Maybe someone else knows this. But OEM batteries have been the vented type usually... so if the battery gets too low on electrolyte levels, it could affect the charge efficiency.
    Check if you see a small breather hose connected st the top of the battery. If so, these require routine electrolyte checks and topping off with distilled water.

+1
    Hey, TimeBandit! You know what, you’re right and I ‘SHOULD’ know that (but, I failed to keep it first and foremost :-/

Update: I think the charger in question has gone tots up :-/ - - my wife was cool enough to SWAP the charger in question onto another battery and take the charger off that second machine’s battery and put it in this battery in question. Within minutes the battery in question read FULL and the charger in question continued to flash green (80%) when check hours later - even though it had read “Full” when she strayed the experimental swap ...

Good news is at least I know the “ill” charger is still capable of charging, it’s just I will have to mark it to make sure I know not to “go by” that ones lights any longer.

Your points remain valid - I have been waiting for an excuse to buy one of the Deka gel batteries K447 told me about when I bought this ski new; before we splash em come next Spring I intend to do so!

Thanks again, man!

8. +1 by:

+1
    Definitely check electrolyte levels and regularly once battery has been over charged its never going to hold a good charge long term I have an old battery I use as a back up and to run oil pump etc every time it’s charged the level gets depleted.

+1
    If you do get the Deka, ETX16L, they come up to full charge faster than the Yuasa lead acid batteries. I have two Dekas in two FXHOs. Over Winter, the Dekas are in my house and I charge them once a month with a "Battery Tender" brand, .75 amp. They'll show full in under 10 minutes. I also have a Yuasa battery, new this Spring, that takes twice as long after a month sitting.

+1
    Thanks Erierunner! I’ll do likewise (as opposed to just leaving them plugged into the charger).

Heres to winter whizzin’ bu, man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information