Kawasaki 2017 15F Upgrade's / Exhaust questions

Greetings everyone,

My brother and i have had our 2017 Kawasaki 15f's for a few years now and its time for some upgrades!

The first two things we are targeting is the most common - Intake and exhaust.

Intake is easy - Remove stuff and put Riva cold air intake on (unless other better suggestions are out there)

Second is not so easy - Exhaust.

This is a quick look around inside the ski so you can see what is going on.

I have not seen any Bolt on kits to swap this out so its time to start cutting things up.

My first question is - Where in the world is the "Waterbox" I can only assume its been combined with that muffler or eliminated.

From the header it goes straight to the single muffler - Through a U bend pipe and out the tailpipe.

I know on the newer skis (i have been on some other posts in GH) it seems the intake on the muffler is correctly sized but the exit port and the tailpipe/flange has been reduced in size to accomidate emissions.

So my question is - Does that muffler have any internals? Can i just take it out - Cut the end off - Empty it out (if it has anything inside) and cut the exit port off and weld a bigger one on to match the intake side. (this method would be so i didn't need to deal with the other hoses /inlets/outlets that are built into the stock muffler)

then i would get a larger diameter U bend tube and then get a bigger tailpipe/flange to complete the system.

My only worry is water backfeed/waterbox and possibly really making the engine mad due to lack of pressures - i know how computers can be these days they get real fussy.

I'm also looking for any upgrades/brands people have done for the newer model 15F that yeilds results (besides the flash kit to un-limit the skis)

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers
    Joe Malench

+1
    To be frank, the 15F is not the machine to modify if you want significant gains. You have a very refined package that does what it was designed to do and that is to provide economical and durable fun. The supercharged skis are the ones that benefit from tunes and mods.

+1
    There is nothing you can do to the exhaust for improved performance, the single muffler system is already as good as it gets, however the intake is where a noticable gain can be made. Replacing the large box with a clamp on filter to the throttle body will free up some easy power. You do not need to plumb in any extra hoses or make any holes in the hull, contrary to what many believe. There is someone mentioned on this site that can also modify your stock ride plate for more speed, he may be listed in the Greenhulk store area. The Riva ones are no longer made & if you find one it has to be modified to accept the speedo pickup on I think 2013 & up skis.

4. +1 by:

Hey Rlace,

Yeah it does not seem like there is much out there for the 15f world at the moment. Honestly we just wanted to open up the exhaust to match the airflow of the entire system and also to make more noise. The gut the muffler technique was one i stole from my dad. They used to gut the mufflers in their old dirtbikes to improve airflow and make some extra noise.

Honestly the one thing stopping me is not knowing what is inside that muffler - The whole i don't understand the waterbox situation and the muffler is like almost $800 on the web so if i botch the project it's going to be a very expensive mistake.

I saw another guy on GH that did a full exhaust replacement using an older 15f can i was just trying to use the stock parts to save some time and money with re-pluming everything.

+1
    Yes those waterboxes are VERY expensive & if you gut it, all you will gain is noise! Some people have spoke of issues with water backing up into the engine when modifying them, you definitely don't want that.

7. +1 by:

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonix View Post
    Hey Rlace,

Yeah it does not seem like there is much out there for the 15f world at the moment. Honestly we just wanted to open up the exhaust to match the airflow of the entire system and also to make more noise. The gut the muffler technique was one i stole from my dad. They used to gut the mufflers in their old dirtbikes to improve airflow and make some extra noise.

Honestly the one thing stopping me is not knowing what is inside that muffler - The whole i don't understand the waterbox situation and the muffler is like almost $800 on the web so if i botch the project it's going to be a very expensive mistake.

I saw another guy on GH that did a full exhaust replacement using an older 15f can i was just trying to use the stock parts to save some time and money with re-pluming everything.
    Gutting the Waterbox/ muffler nets you no real gains other than sore ears and pissing people off...…….

you can either mod the OEM airbox for a few dollars to achieve same gains those over priced K&N style charge you for.... and the benefit of modding the OEM box is no need to stuff around with the catch can breather..

I believe Kspeed can do a tune for them..... but your gonna need to run Premium all the time then.....( not practical on some regions )

yes you can mod the OEM ride plate for a small gain aswell

basically the 15f is what it is …………. you either sink a shit tonne of money or just sell it and buy a performance ski ……….at the end of the day you cant polish a terd into a diamond cheaply.

don't get me wrong I love the 15f platform...… just big gains aren't gonna happen

Howsit man. Sorry to add to this thread an unrelated request for a favor.

But I was watching your video and I noticed one of the hoses that route from the connection on the top of your water box routes up towards the hull, but then I lost it as it goes out of the video.

Would you mind posting a video of the routing of your exhaust hoses for me?

I have had problems with this engine - 2007 model. And I am convinced it is because of a design flaw that it looks as if they may have rectified from what I have been able to see from your video.

Kawasaki 2017 15F Upgrade's / Exhaust questions

And you can find pictures of the water box I cut up here ...start at post number 72.

Hydro locked 2015 ultra LX
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277689

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    K Speed for slight ECU mod and as Sirbreaks says stuck to premium.
    Also a wedge from K Speed helps.
    Ride plate may be coming soon but if you can find an R & D plate they are good.
    I did my air mod for 35.00 and no need to cut the storage bucket up, etc. The Riva is nice if you like to spend money.
    Get a used box if you can and mod it so you can return it to normal sound/spec if you don't like.
    You can put a Riva tip on it (Straight flow out of the transom vs. curve down into water) maybe that'll give you the sound you are after.
    I'd contact Jamie at Brisbane Kawasaki for what you need via email or Facebook.
    Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Gutting the Waterbox/ muffler nets you no real gains other than sore ears and pissing people off...…….

you can either mod the OEM airbox for a few dollars to achieve same gains those over priced K&N style charge you for.... and the benefit of modding the OEM box is no need to stuff around with the catch can breather..

I believe Kspeed can do a tune for them..... but your gonna need to run Premium all the time then.....( not practical on some regions )

yes you can mod the OEM ride plate for a small gain aswell

basically the 15f is what it is …………. you either sink a shit tonne of money or just sell it and buy a performance ski ……….at the end of the day you cant polish a terd into a diamond cheaply.

don't get me wrong I love the 15f platform...… just big gains aren't gonna happen
    Tell me more on how to mod the ride plate, Thanks

Thread Information