Kawasaki 2017 15F Rattle

Greetings everyone!

Here is some backstory/videos on the skis to get us going.

My brother and i both bought 2017 Kawasaki 15F's from two different dealerships a few months apart.

My ski has about 120 hours on it his has about 50.

Both skis start/run perfect in the water.

Since they were both new they have had a metallic rattle that i can't seem to find anywhere. This video lets you hear the rattle in question.

The Rattle has not gotten better or worse in the 120 hours i put on the ski - its just driving my OCD insane - I can't diagnose a problem if it always sound like the ski is falling apart when it idles. When i Rev it up even a little bit the rattle is gone. I went back to the Manufacturer and they ran me around in circles basically saying "its just the sound it makes". I like my stuff running and sounding pretty top notch so i figured i would reach out to you guys for some insight. I can't possibly be the only one that this is happening to.

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,
    Joe Malench
    Last edited by Sonix; 10-30-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    % Normal... That's just how they sound out of the water

Hey Aqua,

Its good to know that its truly a "Standard" noise and i wasn't getting the run around with a broken ski. But would you have any idea what that noise could be? I do hear it in the water with the seat off - its not deal breaking but it is driving my OCD crazy.

I was reading some posts about older Ski-Doo's had a different style out drive system that would rattle like that at idle - they came up with a compression nose cone to silence the noise and also hold the internals in place to help with wear and tear.

Think i'm on to anything with that?

+1
    The impeller is like a bell on the end of a long shaft. Each power stroke is like hitting the driveshaft with a hammer, causing the 'bell' to ring. They all do it.

Want to solve it? Install a V-12 engine or put on a 200 pound flywheel.

5. +1 by:

Hey Steve,

thanks for the info - I guess ill just have to drop a v12 in the ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonix View Post

- its not deal breaking but it is driving my OCD crazy.
    HaHa-If you have OCD you DEFINITELY should not be riding a PWC! I have a profound hearing loss so I hardly hear anything so my motto is "wide open until it sinks or you see parts in the bilge...".

+1
    Yep, that's how they sound, I drove mine for 100 hours & it never came apart, it's what is called " harmonics" , every machine has its own sound.

Hey Pro,

I defiantly got the ODC but that won't stop me from riding i love it to much. I can also relate with run it till it dies. I had a pair of 96 Polaris SLT780's up till two years ago and we did sink one and the other had parts literally rattling off it. We decided after getting stranded it was time for a 4 stoke upgrade and i'm not disappointed. The 15F is a great ski for the money and we have had tons of fun with them since we bought them.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonix View Post
    Greetings everyone!

Here is some backstory/videos on the skis to get us going.

My brother and i both bought 2017 Kawasaki 15F's from two different dealerships a few months apart.

My ski has about 120 hours on it his has about 50.

Both skis start/run perfect in the water.

Since they were both new they have had a metallic rattle that i can't seem to find anywhere. This video lets you hear the rattle in question.

The Rattle has not gotten better or worse in the 120 hours i put on the ski - its just driving my OCD insane - I can't diagnose a problem if it always sound like the ski is falling apart when it idles. When i Rev it up even a little bit the rattle is gone. I went back to the Manufacturer and they ran me around in circles basically saying "its just the sound it makes". I like my stuff running and sounding pretty top notch so i figured i would reach out to you guys for some insight. I can't possibly be the only one that this is happening to.

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,
    Joe Malench
    just to elaborate more on the typical that's "normal" response

It a result of the noise from the splines between drive shaft and prop...……… if you service the pump and put grease on the prop nose area where the splines slide in , it will be quiet for a few hrs at best...……. but yes thats a normal rattle most kawi and Seadoos have because there drive splines are in the pump tunnel that exaggerates it .

Waz

11. +1 by:

Thread Information