Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    I think what boudin was saying, is that the 655.36 is only witnessed within the YDS session due to polling the 16-bit register. The clocks/gauges will show the actual hours. Note: the OP couldn't read his gauges clearly, hence why he went to see YDS total.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I think what boudin was saying, is that the 655.36 is only witnessed within the YDS session due to polling the 16-bit register.

The clocks/gauges will show the actual hours.
    Ah, a limitiation of the old YDS diagnostic software, not a limitation within the watercraft's internal ECU/Dash hour logging functions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I think what boudin was saying, is that the 655.36 is only witnessed within the YDS session due to polling the 16-bit register. The clocks/gauges will show the actual hours. Note: the OP couldn't read his gauges clearly, hence why he went to see YDS total.
    hmmmm would like to see what yds shows for A ski with a documented hours of over 655 to confirm/deny as it seems odd that the software shows less info than the hardware display....

+1
    The gauge cluster rolls over at 1000. Below is a pic of YDS on a high hour ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Hours.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	455793  

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    The gauge cluster rolls over at 1000.

... a pic of YDS on a high hour ski.
    Does the same 655 hour limitation apply to the most recent Yamaha diagnostics software, or the CanDOOPro diagnostics software?

7. +1 by:

+1
    I have only the older version myself, so do not know.

Let me clear up some misconceptions here. The 655 hour limit talked about here has nothing to do with any limitation of diagnostic software, whether old or newer YDS or Candoopro.It has everything to do with the design of the ECM software. Yamaha uses a pretty simple way of communicating information between the ECU and clusters on the Waverunners. (Except the 2019+ FX series with the new touchscreen cluster, they use a more complex way of communicating)

This simple communication is also used for the diagnostics function. Some software engineer decided at some point to use two bytes of data for the hours function. Two bytes is 16 bits, hexadecimal FFFF, 65,536 decimal. And for some unknown reason, someone made the weird decision to use a multiplier of .01 for many (not all) engines. (Including a number of outboards) . Multiplying 65,536 times .01 yields 655.36, which means the maximum number of total hours that these particular engine ECU's can store is 655 hours.

As you can see from the post above, they also use two bytes for each RPM range runtime, so it can store 655 hours for each range.

As I said, not all are this way, some engines use a more logical .1 multiplier, so those engines can record up to 6,553.6 hours.

The clusters don't record runtime, they record powered up time. I dont know what their max limit is because the clusters dont report time to the diagnostic system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    The total hours are calculated as a 16-bit unsigned integer, which is why it reads 655.36 max. Manually add up the RPM range hours to get the actual total hours. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How might this be confirmed?
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    ...Yamaha uses a pretty simple way of communicating information between the ECU and clusters on the Waverunners. ...

... software engineer decided at some point to use two bytes of data for the hours function. ... someone made the weird decision to use a multiplier of .01 for many (not all) engines. ... Multiplying 65,536 times .01 yields 655.36, which means the maximum number of total hours that these particular engine ECU's can store is 655 hours.

As you can see from the post above, they also use two bytes for each RPM range runtime, so it can store 655 hours for each range.

Thank you. That does provide some clarity.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    The clusters don't record runtime, they record powered up time. I dont know what their max limit is because the clusters dont report time to the diagnostic system.
    Thanks that has answered something I knew but never really understood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information