+1

07 rxt basket case

Hey guys, long time no ski. Picked up this little gem tonight, 2007 rxt, beautiful semi faded red. Was told the engine was seized but the owner didn't know, he'd only purchased to turn it into a bar or something at some stage.

Owner previous to him has pulled intake manifold, loom, ecu etc, all there in the front bucket. I pulled by plugs, looked ok, weird. Turned the motor over by the charger a little bit, definately lot seized. Used some jumper leads to crank the starter directly and seems to have comp on all cylinders, just has a knock coming fr PTO area, seems like high backlash on the charger as well.

With plugs in and charger out noise seems to go. Has 16 tooth charger. Any ideas before I pull the motor and PTO?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191029_213723.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	455607

Name:	IMG_20191029_213730.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	455608

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    run a compression check on it first, if it's 120 or better and nearly even across all three, proceed

pump the oil out and run it thru a coffee filter to see what might be in it, same with the filter. fog the daylights out of it and assemble. pull the blower and inspect.

pull the fuel line off the rail and see if the fuel pump is working, get all the gas out of it

if all of that works out, get some fresh fuel/oil in it, assemble and try to fire the engine without the blower, if it run and idels even for a few seconds, inspect the flywheel thru the blower port, if not obvious damage reinstall blower and see if the engine will idle for 30 seconds. if it does put it on a water hose and then idle for two minutes. if it doesn't sound like a broken blender you gotta puzzle..why did the original owner strip it down?

I suspect you'll know why long before that

pics helpful

+1
    Hey Pete, I pulled the motor and PTO at lunchtime today, turns out some goose has put a 185 flywheel on it, with a 215 charger. Oil looked good, will pull the rear oil pump just to have a look while it's apart. That explains the excess backlash I could feel through the charger. Has had a water leak from the pump housing as well so can sort that at the same time.

I suppose it's also possible someone lunched the original engine, and has attempted to fit a 185 core, and has given up when it made horrible noises.

It can't have been apart too long ago as all the pto bolts were antiseized, and the stainless collar came off the driveshaft nice and easily. Will chuck some pictures up later.

+1
    well this was certainly unexpected. I'd make a guess and say the PO snookered the flywheel timing got fed up with pulling the engine a couple of times and moved on to greener pastures. could be a keeper!

+1
    Yeah it's not what I was expecting when I bought it that's for sure. Were the trigger wheels the same from 03 to 07?

Also when having a look through the parts in the front bin, there is a good condition water pump housing to replace the busted one that was ok the motor, so it gets even better haha.

+1
    check for a dent in the trigger wheel adjacent to a bolt hole. that's a clear tell that the wheel was improperly installed.

there's a bunch of threads on this issue. the wheels were the same, the cranks and PTO covers changed so you need to check to see what crank actually in the motor if it appears the cases were split

the question of the moment is what was a 185 flywheel doing in there...

+1
    My best guess is still that they replaced a blown engines didn't realise the replacement was a 185, then gave up.

I have a flywheel coming, so will check the pin location as well, don't really want to have to pull the PTO again. Cases don't appear to have been split but I do have a random.bag of bolts that looks like it has some old head bolts in it.

Name:	IMG_20191101_125309.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	455728

Name:	IMG_20191101_125322.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	455729

+1
    Those flywheel bolts? Hardware store? Can you tell what grade they are?

9. +1 by:

+1
    Yeah they look pretty dodgy don't they, will be getting replaced with the new flywheel. Just thinking about it, it must be an old 185 engine as it still has tops on the front cover.

+1
    Just had a look now, they are a2-70, so not quite 8.8. I've got some nice 12.9s for it anyway.

Supercharger also seems to have new washers, and slip is at 7.4 ft lbs. PTO is early style and so is the crank. Very slight scoring of rear oil pump on the engine side, PTO side was good.

Ecu seems to be 07 215.
    Last edited by brendanm; 11-08-2019 at 01:24 AM.

Thread Information