Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Little bit of an update here, as things got interesting after taking the ski to a mechanic...

1 - The issue with spark was the ECU, however, it was corrosion on the pins. He ended up cleaning, clearing codes and got spark back.
    2 - A majority of the gas tank was filled with water. This explains how water got in the oil, and the starter physically broke.
    3 - I tested compression after clearing water and fogging oil out of there, and have ~140 across all cylinders.

I am now sea foaming to make sure that there is no water left, filling with gas and stabilizer and going to run it and change the oil one last time after i'm sure that there is no water left. It is running now!

2. +1 by:

+1
    Mmmm hmmmm..........sunk........just like I thought.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Mmmm hmmmm..........sunk........just like I thought.

Yep, for sure, and the OP better find out why it sank or else it will do it again!

+1
    Make sure you pull the intake manifold off..so you can drain the water out of it....it holds a lot of water...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jheckart View Post
    Little bit of an update here, as things got interesting after taking the ski to a mechanic...

1 - The issue with spark was the ECU, however, it was corrosion on the pins. He ended up cleaning, clearing codes and got spark back.
    2 - A majority of the gas tank was filled with water. This explains how water got in the oil, and the starter physically broke.
    3 - I tested compression after clearing water and fogging oil out of there, and have ~140 across all cylinders.

I am now sea foaming to make sure that there is no water left, filling with gas and stabilizer and going to run it and change the oil one last time after i'm sure that there is no water left. It is running now!

for sure has been hydrolocked, you probably have a bent rod, you will know in about 8-10 hours of riding. I would bust out a dial indicator and check for a bent rod.

8. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    for sure has been hydrolocked, you probably have a bent rod, you will know in about 8-10 hours of riding. I would bust out a dial indicator and check for a bent rod.

that's advice not to be ignored. it's possible to check byt using a bit of stiff wire, but given the possibilities a dial indicator check is a realllly good idea

trying to crank a locked motor will burn the starter pretty quick

10. +1 by:

Well, I jumped the gun and went to try this out before a freeze hits in southern ohio. I should've started on the trailer to inspect, but instead, I took it out. It actually ran well, until i felt that it was starting to take on water. I went to get the seat off to inspect, 1/4 mile from the trailer, and before i got the seat open, it rotated me off into the water. All i could do was laugh, 1/4 mile from the trailer. I swam it in.

It had water to the air intake. Thankfully, the air intake is dry. The fuel tank was also dry, this time. The plugs were also dry. I got some water in the oil, and extracted all of that. I fogged the cylinders, cranked it, and no water came out. After changing the oil, it started right up. I saw water spewing out of the last exhaust connection, to the water. This connection was the only one that I hadn't redone or checked. I found that it really wasn't a good fitting. I'm going to pull that out completely and retest.

I'm also going to take the advice to check for a bent rod. I'm not sure how to do that right now, but will do the research.

Appreciate the advice, thus far. This is my first ski, and I knew that I was taking on a bit of a project. I did not know that it was going to be this much of a project! I'll keep at it, and see where it goes. I think I'm close, assuming that I don't find bent rods.

+1
    See post #13
    That must have been a coooold swim back to the trailer! Your lucky you did not get hypothermeia! Glad your ok!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jheckart View Post
    ... I should've started on the trailer to inspect, but instead...
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    ... the OP better find out why it sank or else it will do it again!
    It is not difficult to leave a watercraft strapped down to the trailer and do a proper in-water test on the launch ramp. If all goes well, testing takes maybe fifteen minutes.

If a problem is found, much easier to deal with it at the launch ramp than floating (or sinking) somewhere out on the water.

Last edited by K447; 11-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information