Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2020 FX SVHO or GP1800 SVHO ?

I’m just curious what, besides MSRP and color schemes, the major differences between the 2020 FX SVHO and the GP1800 SVHO?

I know at least some of you have owned one or the other (and maybe some even have owned both) and I am just trying to obtain info on reasons why some picked one over the other?

+1
    Two, completely different machines. Nothing is really the same other than the engine.

The FX is larger, different hull, a legit three up machine, more storage space, digital control system. From a practical standpoint, the FX is more stable and is better for cruising. The GP should make Corner carving tighter. But I personally think the new FX hull and ride is much improved over the GP. I think the FX is a much better machine.

+1
    Thanks, “Doc!”

I have been contemplating “getting over” my “anxiety” about and staying away from a supercharged model as the naturally aspirated seem less prone to “issues” and are closer to my level of comfort as far as DIY tasks, etc. (Also, we are realllllll happy buying only NO ethanol gas and about the highest octane we can get ZERO ethanol in is 90 ... and I understand the supercharged require a minimum of 93. (?)

Anyway, since we ride only on a flat surface lake and do more “cutting” and shredding than cruising, I thought if go the SC route, the 2020 GP 1800 SVHO would be a logical progression “up” from the ‘18 VXR.

But today, I learn our oldest son is “jonesing” over the all black (“murdered out”) FX SVHO.

Ive spent some time looking the specs over and was scratching my head and thus I really, REALLY appreciate your input!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha SVHO engine requires 91 octane gasoline.

Can be with or without ethanol, engine runs the same.

FX SVHO and GP1800R SVHO models.

+1
    Thanks for the correction, K (I’ll gladly go with 91 rather than 93!!!

I wonder if I could get by with 90 octane and simply add an “octane booster” from Advanced Auto Zone or O’Reillys type source?

I cant help but wonder if my oldest is simply “smitten” with the all black FX SVHO ... that is, he doesn’t understand the GP1800 SVHO (man, that’s a mouthful!) may be the more “nimble” on our hidden little lake!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post

I wonder if I could get by with 90 octane and simply add an “octane booster” from Advanced Auto Zone or O’Reillys type source?

Octane boosters do not create fuel that is ‘the same’ as using gasoline of the correct octane. Ongoing use of octane boost with every tank is potentially adverse to the Yamaha engine warranty. Boost products vary in terms of what chemicals are used, and some can create deposits in the engine or add pollutants to the exhaust flow going into the lake.

In addition to the cost to buy and consume with every tankful.

Ethanol blended gasoline is entirely acceptable and is a ‘proper’ fuel for the SVHO engine, as long as that gasoline is 91 octane (or higher).

If you have ethanol 91 octane available, use that. If all you have available is 90 octane (with or without ethanol) then SVHO may not be the engine you want.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Octane boosters do not create fuel that is ‘the same’ as using gasoline of the correct octane. Ongoing use of octane boost with every tank is potentially adverse to the Yamaha engine warranty. Boost products vary in terms of what chemicals are used, and some can create deposits in the engine or add pollutants to the exhaust flow going into the lake.

In addition to the cost to buy and consume with every tankful.

Ethanol blended gasoline is entirely acceptable and is a ‘proper’ fuel for the SVHO engine, as long as that gasoline is 91 octane (or higher).

If you have ethanol 91 octane available, use that. If all you have available is 90 octane (with or without ethanol) then SVHO may not be the engine you want.
    Whoa! Okay, did NOT know or take much of that into consideration! (!) (Thank you, btw; as development portends to only increase, our tiny lake is under enough “pressure,” now!)

And, now that I am relieved to know, in fact “ethanol blended fuel is entirely acceptable and is a ‘proper’ fuel for the SVHO engine” and I know for sure we have numerous locations from where we can get 91 (and even 93) octane ethanol blended, I’m back to my original conundrum. That is, which SC Yamaha is the best “fit” for my oldest and I.

He’s not as research-centric as I; and, I can’t help but wonder ... if they didn’t come out with an all black GP1800 SVHO this year if he wouldn’t be suggesting that as a next (and probably “last” for years to come) ski for us ...?

K447, if you don’t mind me asking, what prompted you to go with two GP1800’s over the same year FX SVHO. Your input is sincerely appreciated!

+1
    Keep in mind, some people will say “OMG don’t ever put ethanol in it!”. There is a a lot of bad information being put out on forums. The worst place to go is the Yamaha Waverunner FB page.

Ethanol in many ways is a superior marine fuel to use. Why? Because of its ability to “hold” water. The down side is phase separation (very bad) if you get a lot of water contamination. Which would also be very bad with non eth fuel too but for different reasons.

Yamaha recommends 91. My dealer gave me a paper in writing that states that I can run 89 but would lose some performance. However, I also use 91-93 because that’s what we have here.

i too was anti SC until I bought this machine. And OMG!

How old and experienced is your son? Is he a competent kid? Rides quads and dirt bikes or does he play video games (not judging). The power is unreal with the SC. And a rider could really hurt themselves.

One major upside with the 2019 FX is the ability to program the power. You can set the top speed from 35 to 70 and also change the power band for each (slow and normal) When I am pulling a tube with kids I set it at 35 and put on slow. When my 17 year old daughter rides it, I set at 55. It is plenty fast for her. The machine can be a tame old horse or a bucking bronco.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    ... what prompted you to go with two GP1800’s over the same year FX SVHO? ...
    We prefer hulls that have a 'responsive' feel when riding.

The 2017 FX hull seemed too large (for us) and not as responsive as the then-new-for-2017 GP1800. Basically the GP1800 is a hot rod, big engine in a medium size hull.

Right out of the box the GP1800 felt pretty good. And that was with the pre-2019 ride plate and intake grate. Within the first couple of months I had installed an aftermarket ride plate and intake grate, with MaptunerX Stage 1+ configuration. Plus various non-performance upgrades.

The 2019 onwards GP1800R SVHO ride plate and intake grate seem to be well liked, and I am currently using the 2019 intake grate on my 2017.

The Riva intake grate is considered to be even better, and being stainless steel is much stronger than the aluminum Yamaha grate (that said, I have no concerns about breakage unless top speeds are well above stock levels).

+1
    Hey, WaterDR! Ya, I don’t know if I’m guilty of bad info but, I probably lead the pack in giving ethanol a bad name; I’ve seen too many friends suffer real damage to different components within fuel systems and we had our own problems in a plethora of engines, even though we stabilized occasionally even siphoning tanks of “stale” gas. I realize it is as far from scientific as I can get but, since going over to non-eth in everything but our daily drivers we have zero issues (all small engines and 4-strokes). But, I digress!

LOL, your “OMG!” with respect to the supercharger is the kind of report that has me finally sniffn’ ‘round the notion of adding a sc engine to the stable.

Our oldest is 40 and has some experience strip racing but, he’s very respectful of power.

i really appreciate your feedback as, despite all the research (aka-web browsing) I’ve been doing I wasn’t even aware of the ability to “dial in” power or throttle response - Thank You!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information