Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    K447, thank you! That’s the kind of real world, hands on experience I am looking for!

Our Lake is too small for any real cruising and, for us, that equates to “carving” and “shredding,” etc. The Kawasaki SXR1500 is wayyyyy more than enough for me (for years to come, I’m sure) but, for sit downs and for my oldest also, well, the VXR just ain’t cuttin’ it no more. (Which is just as well seeing as to how my wife has laid claim to the one, for herself (and our oldest until we pull the trigger on something super-charged!

Just curious, are you satisfied with the stock sponsons on your GP1800?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    ... are you satisfied with the stock sponsons on your GP1800?
    Sponsons are on my ‘should do’ list. I have not found a lot of useful info on how the different sponsons compare in actual use. Which means I might have to buy 2 or 3 different sets and experiment. Which costs money and testing time, so I have just gone riding instead ...

If I do end up with aftermarket sponsons, my primary focus would be on tighter handling and more steering response on initial turn responsiveness from straight ahead. My current GP1800 configuration is ‘not bad at all’ but there is a little zone around centered where the hull responds lazily to minor steering inputs to left or right.

The GP1800 with stock sponsons has a lean in turning style. I do not know whether alternate sponsons would affect that, not how they might ‘feel’.

+1
    Roger that and understood. Everyone in our family is pretty darn happy with the stock sponsons “as they came” on the ‘18 VXR ... (and I just went with Riva Racing sponsons on one of our other skis because that’s what was available at time of ordering and JC Racing sponsons on the SXR-1500 based on reviews, here on GH)

Only 2 years into this great sport and, “I have just gone riding” explains the majority of my time thus far and I will claim that as taking the advice of experts, lol!

K447, Thank You and you also, WaterDR, VERY MUCH !!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Hey, WaterDR! Ya, I don’t know if I’m guilty of bad info but, I probably lead the pack in giving ethanol a bad name; I’ve seen too many friends suffer real damage to different components within fuel systems and we had our own problems in a plethora of engines, even though we stabilized occasionally even siphoning tanks of “stale” gas. I realize it is as far from scientific as I can get but, since going over to non-eth in everything but our daily drivers we have zero issues (all small engines and 4-strokes). But, I digress!

LOL, your “OMG!” with respect to the supercharger is the kind of report that has me finally sniffn’ ‘round the notion of adding a sc engine to the stable.

Our oldest is 40 and has some experience strip racing but, he’s very respectful of power.

i really appreciate your feedback as, despite all the research (aka-web browsing) I’ve been doing I wasn’t even aware of the ability to “dial in” power or throttle response - Thank You!
    I have actually seen studies on ethanol and the corrosion issues are real especially with water and length of time. Additives work for E10 and E15. But in both cases, it doesn’t match the performance of long term storage with E0. Nothing helps E85 from what I have seen. I also think it’s best to stick with a fuel and I would never use E of any kind on a carburetor engine.

All that said, I use E0, because we have it still. For storage i woukd try to avoid ethanol.

+1
    After switching from VX to a 2019 FX, I will never go back. In fact, I wouldn’t even consider it. And after going to a SC, going NA would be boring . However, if I had a bunch of kids and was paying for their gas, no way in hell. I would stick NA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information