Question VXR or VXHO Cruiser

I am looking at buying 2 new skis, I currently have a 2009 Kawasaki ultra LX (non supercharged) and a 2009 VX cruiser. My daughter loves the VX cruiser and I like my Ultra LX but its time to update. I am looking at either 2 VX HO cruiser or 2 VXR but can't understand the difference. Both skis will be used for cruising as I am 70 and too old for the rough stuff. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on which to buy. I am located on the Gold Coast of Australia and generally only ride in calm conditions. Any other "brand" suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks oldest

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model years are the VXR and VX HO Cruiser you are considering?

For the 1.8 liter engine in 2015 onwards VXR and VX HO Cruiser, the main difference is the seat style, cruiser high seating towards the rear vs. less height rise in the VXR seat. I forget if there was some other minor differences, like rope cleats on the sides.

Also the Cruiser models have Cruise speed control and No Wake zone speed modes, but no nozzle trim adjustment.

The VXR has nozzle trim but does not have Cruise or No Wake mode.

Thanks K477. Both skis will be new 2019 models and generally only ridden without any passengers. Would the trim feature be very valuable for a single rider? I am about 260 pounds. Do you know what speed the no wake is, as our restricted areas are 6 Knt. max speed.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldest View Post
    ... Both skis will be new 2019 models and generally only ridden without any passengers.

Would the trim feature be very valuable for a single rider? I am about 260 pounds.

I use trim to adjust hull ride as water conditions vary. Trim up in rough water tends to make for a softer ride, but I cannot go as fast without the jet pump unhooking. With trim down the bow is pressed harder into the waves so I can go faster but the hull pounds more at speed.

I ride standing up most of the time, with flexed legs, and let the hull dance beneath my feet while my upper body remains stable.

In smoother water with mild ripple I use trim down to really smooth out the ride, trim up for a tad more speed. I often ride large open lakes where the water is rarely super smooth so I tend to ride with trim down one or two clicks most of the time.

My extended length aftermarket Worx ride plate (with Jim's cut) is configured for rough water ride+handling rather than speed optimized.

Typical ride day we will be on the water for 4-8 hours and consume most of the fuel tank capacity, sometimes with a mid-day refuel. Distance traveled, 60-100+ miles is not unusual.

+1
    Pick the colour you like best.....

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I believe the 2019 vxr is the nano2 hull which is about 30 pounds lighter than the cruiser. You also get the better ride plate and grate on the vxr as far as I know.

Thread Information