+1

Thumbs up TURBO GP1800 looking for a little info from the experienced

So here we go, my 50hr 2017 GP1800 is going turbo. I have all the basic supporting bolt on's for 9k rpm, my question to everyone is do I need to worry about building the bottom end, and do I need to worry about pump stuffing. I don't plan on going over 9k rpm at this point in time, and probably going to be running lower boost in the 20lb range. i plan to use motec for my choice of tuning at this time unless someone can steer me in a different direction.

any input is appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is your target top speed?

What intake grate and ride plate?

Transom plate tapered?

Do you intend to change to the 2020 160mm jet pump?

How fast is it going now, with the supercharger?

+1
    no target top speed at this point and have not gps'd the current setup, I will be shortly before tearing everything apart for the winter. I mainly want to see the major difference between running turbo/supercharger and see if a turbo can be a reliable setup. currently everything pump related is stock besides the prop and cooling mods, and had no intention to change pump

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeboardcraze View Post
    no target top speed at this point and have not gps'd the current setup, I will be shortly before tearing everything apart for the winter.

I mainly want to see the major difference between running turbo/supercharger and see if a turbo can be a reliable setup.

currently everything pump related is stock besides the prop and cooling mods, and had no intention to change pump
    Well, the major difference would be all the turbo stuff and supporting mods. And the tuning, wrenching, and so on.

How many hours per year do you expect to ride?

What is it about supercharging that is making you look towards turbocharging?

+1
    So here we go, my 50hr 2017 GP1800 is going turbo. I have all the basic supporting bolt on's for 9k rpm, my question to everyone is do I need to worry about building the bottom end, and do I need to worry about pump stuffing. I don't plan on going over 9k rpm at this point in time, and probably going to be running lower boost in the 20lb range. i plan to use motec for my choice of tuning at this time unless someone can steer me in a different direction.

any input is appreciated

Congratulations on your decision! Good choice of engine management! I’ve got MOTEC on my black FX-Turbo, it works flawless!

Your bottom end is good for 27 Lbs no problems there. I’d recommend you upgrade your head bolts to ARP Studs. No need to remove the head, just do one stud at a time. You must upgrade your valve springs so that will be a good time since you have to remove your cam shaft to do it.

Everyone have their own reasons. I just got tired of replacing supercharger clutches...

Good luck, Julio...

+1
    I don’t know anything regarding “Stuffing” on the GP...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, the major difference would be all the turbo stuff and supporting mods. And the tuning, wrenching, and so on.

How many hours per year do you expect to ride?

What is it about supercharging that is making you look towards turbocharging?
    im going to ride the crap out of it, I want it reliable as possible... that being said I know changing something from OEM is taking away reliability, but if done correctly with attention to detail should be no issue with it being reliable. im more worried about pump stuffing at this time. if the motor handles supercharged power at 24lb and 9k rpm now I don't see why it wouldn't handle a turbo with 20lb and 9k, 20lb on a turbo theoretically should make MORE power than a charger on 24lb(simply because of efficiency) and I want to see how much of a difference it will actually make between the two setups.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Congratulations on your decision! Good choice of engine management! I’ve got MOTEC on my black FX-Turbo, it works flawless!

Your bottom end is good for 27 Lbs no problems there. I’d recommend you upgrade your head bolts to ARP Studs. No need to remove the head, just do one stud at a time. You must upgrade your valve springs so that will be a good time since you have to remove your cam shaft to do it.

Everyone have their own reasons. I just got tired of replacing supercharger clutches...

Good luck, Julio...
    all that's done im currently at 9k rpm and 24lb on charger so this should just be a matter of hardware change and adding the motec… well and ride plate/ grate and pump changes lol currently running stock plate with 2019 grate

+1
    ... ride plate/ grate and pump changes lol

currently running stock plate with 2019 grate
    The Yamaha 2019 GP1800R SVHO intake grate is aluminum.

You may want to consider installing the stainless steel Riva intake grate. Much stronger material.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Yamaha 2019 GP1800R SVHO intake grate is aluminum.

You may want to consider installing the stainless steel Riva intake grate. Much stronger material.
    agreed, that was on the list.. what do you guys recommend for ride plate

Thread Information