GP1800/SVHO Cam tensioner reinstall tricks?

Hey Guys, I just did my retainers and installed a set of NA/Cams while I was at it, everything is back and timed, however, I can't figure out how to get the Cam tensioner piston to stay compressed for installation. What's the trick? I've searched the forum and couldn't find it.

+1
    Push the tensioner plunger in with your thumb...it helps to rotate it back and forth as you push down on it. Once pushed down enough use your finger nail to press the circlip into the groove. This hold the plunger in place. Then carefully insert the tensioner into the motor... knocking it around can dislodge the circlip and then you have to do it again.

Also, It's not timed until you get the tensioner installed and rotate the engine and check it again. Cam timing VERY easy to get wrong in this engine. So be sure to recheck it after rotating the engine.

Thanks..... I fully intend to turn it over several times to make sure it's at TDC and both Cam points line up. I'm just struggling with the tensioner. I'll try it again tonight when I get home.

I just did mine the other week. What’s the story with n/a cams? Do you need Percival tunes for that? I thought it was the other way round the n/a guys were putting svho cams in.

Ok Finally got it to stay! Wish I had found this forum earlier, it’s a great place to learn and share information. And I see there’s discounts for members too..... I’ll keep that in mind for future purchases.������
    I’ve had these parts sitting here for a year and finally getting around to it. I’m doing this to all 3 of my machines 2x GP1800’s, and 1x 2019 FX-SVHO. So I’ll have 3 sets of low hour OEM cams sitting around.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmymajic View Post
    I just did mine the other week. Whatís the story with n/a cams? Do you need Percival tunes for that? I thought it was the other way round the n/a guys were putting svho cams in.
    I put ho cams in my sho with 18 pound wheel
    And it hits much harder in the midrange

What kind of clutch life are you getting with the 18 wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmymajic View Post
    I just did mine the other week. What’s the story with n/a cams? Do you need Percival tunes for that? I thought it was the other way round the n/a guys were putting svho cams in.
    The boxed flash tunes will work and you will pick up rpms but the boat will usually idle a little rougher and stall when out when the motor is cold

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-acer View Post
    What kind of clutch life are you getting with the 18 wheel?
    Iím getting between 40 and 80 hours depending how much offshore stuff I do

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R-acer View Post
    Ok Finally got it to stay! Wish I had found this forum earlier, it’s a great place to learn and share information. And I see there’s discounts for members too..... I’ll keep that in mind for future purchases.������
    I’ve had these parts sitting here for a year and finally getting around to it. I’m doing this to all 3 of my machines 2x GP1800’s, and 1x 2019 FX-SVHO. So I’ll have 3 sets of low hour OEM cams sitting around.
    Awesome! Glad we were able to help you.
    Thanks for your consideration of the GreenHulk Performance Store when you need parts!

Thread Information