Virage ignition controller

Can someone tell me what's going on with sbt and marto cdi's. Sbt lists the 379, 543 (885 their number) for a 2001 virage 1200 but not for the 2000 model. Marto says they work on both. As you know all the polaris numbers superceded to the better 543. I've contacted a pvl rep and but no response. How can both sbt and marto get the supposedly factory pieces? Marto says they have a special contact in Germany. Looks to me the marto cdi is the same piece as sbt with the numbers crossed out. I Have a customer with 3 polaris virage 1200. One an 01 and two 2000's. All 3 need cdi. Got the 01 from sbt. Have a used 379 for one of the 2000s. So I need one more cdi. Do I need to pay martos price or just get the sbt one despite the application discrepancy?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Both SBT and Marto, my understanding, purchase their CDI directly from PVL in Germany, who manufactures them. As part of the order process they select which 'tune' (ignition base timing and curve) is programmed by PVL into each CDI.

Again, my understanding, is that SBT and Marto have selected 'generic' tunes that work ok across the range of red 1200 engines. *

If need be, a GH member has the equipment to re-program the PVL CDI to a different timing curve.

* There is an oddball case for a few specific models where Polaris used a different 'High Start' flywheel with advanced base timing. The CDI for use with those flywheels has correspondingly adjusted base timing. The work around if using a 'mismatched CDI and flywheel' is to adjust the flywheel timing ring by ten degrees.

Thanks. I wonder why sbt doesn't include 2000 virage tx in their applications. A former sbt employee, who set up the pvl stuff, told me that some of the early 00 1200s have different flywheel set up. But marto disagreed and there's no indication of that with polaris parts look up. Marto also said the correct timing curve is installed for particular model and its plug and play. Yet, it's the same cdi for 99 and up genesis and 00 and 01 virage, etc. But sbt says different for 00 virage, although their cdi fits other 1200 models same as martos.(except 00 virage) So I'm not sure what to believe. My guess is sbt applications are wrong. What would you do if you had to order one? Thanks.

+1
    What testing have you done to verify all 3 need CDI's ? Polaris CDI's do go bad but not that often, to have 1 person with 3 bad would be super astronomical odds.

There are exhaust differences with the Genesis.
    The only difference with the 00 Virage TX should be carb jetting and cylinder cooling at the water bar. the 00 may have used a larger exhaust injector fitting. The wiring update was stock on 01 models but don't think there were differences with CDI.

I used an 01 CDI in my 00 Virage TX, I watched carb tuning - made sure base timing was correct.

I would use the 00 CDI.
    Marto really don't know what he's doing other then what he read here-more of a used car salesman.

Yes I swapped a good cdi between all 3 units. Customer had purchased them from different sellers. Marto sells the 543 for genesis 99- up and 00/01 virage. Sbt sells theirs for 99- genesis and 01 virage.

+1
    Sorry,meant to say I would use the 01 CDI from SBT

I can see the same sbt part no under martos yellow line drawn over it. If you were having new cdi s made, why would you have to have an ink line covering up the part number and then scribble 543 under it? Sbt doesn't. He's trying to make it look like an original 543 piece. Just thought about that. I ordered the sbt one, works fine. Not falling for that bullshit and someone should call them out on that.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfleming88 View Post
    I can see the same sbt part no under martos yellow line drawn over it. If you were having new cdiís made, why would you have to have an ink line covering up the part number and then scribble 543 under it? Sbt doesn't...
    Back when Polaris was still manufacturing watercraft, they would order CDI in bulk from PVL in Germany, with whatever ignition curve and part number they thought they needed. During watercraft production of various models they would sometimes need a different ignition curve programmed into the CDI to match whatever engine/model they wanted to produce.

They would do that electronically at Polaris (CDI just plugs into a laptop, and special software is used), and then apply a grease pencil to strike out the original part number and hand mark the revised part number on the CDI.

The hand written part number would typically just be the last few digits, and that marked CDI would then be exactly the same ignition curve as one that was programmed by PVL with that curve. A hand marked CDI with a different part number just means it has different ignition parameters than what was in there when the external part number was stamped on by PVL.

Thread Information