Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 FX HO dead cylinder

Just want to see if anyone else has had this problem. My FX HO developed a miss #4 cyl, has spark, changed the plugs, good compression. It seems as though the plug is wet like there is some fuel getting in there, but seems like it would have to be a bad injector? Anybody else has had this problem?

+1
    generally the Yamaha ECU's are pretty bullet proof.

Swap the dead cylinder's injector and coil over to other cylinders and see if the problem moves with them.

+1
    Most likely it is not the injector but the screen filter is blocked up inside the injector. The only filters on that ski is the fuel sock and the injector screen. You might be able to back flush it with a can of carb cleaner, its worked for me in the past. Do yourself a favor and install an inline fuel filter. If you had one inline you may have avoided this hassle.

Take Care
    C J

Ok, thanks for the replies. If I installed a fuel filter it would have to be a high pressure type, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    Ok, thanks for the replies. If I installed a fuel filter it would have to be a high pressure type, right?
    Do not install an extra fuel filter

+1
    Yes, BBCaprice ,

it would have to be high pressure one. I always install one because of this type of problem can be avoided and if you change it every season you will not have to worry about any pressure drops the filter may have as it gets dirty. Any other vehicle they always had a factory inline filter. As you can see dirt does pass through from the sock filter. Should cost you about 13.00
    Do not do this if you use e85... if you do it must be anodized to avoid any corrosion with e85.

Crap accumulates in the gas tank of your jet ski, more often from using gas cans to fill your ski.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Take Care
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 10-16-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJBrad04 View Post
    Do not install an extra fuel filter
    Why not? Just wondering if there is reason why it would be a bad idea

+1
    Safety mainly.... Especially if not using marine grade components. Poorly modified fuel systems can be deadly on pwc's. Ive had a customer's ski blow up on be after another shop said there was nothing wrong with it.... Trust me, not something anyone should have to experience.

If Yamaha thought it needed an additional fuel filter, they would have put them in it... They are pretty smart when it comes to marine engines. The outboard engines have four filters on them. The only thing that I ever see clogging injectors is evaporated E10 fuel. The ethanol will leave behind deposits and can clog the filters in the injectors.

This has nothing to do with the problem that you're experiencing and will only add complexity to a thorough diagnosis.

+1
    BBCaprice he will get back to you as soon as he back flushes his fuel injectors or he is just busy installing a inline fuel filter on his ski.
    In the interim, I think it`s a great preventive measure that can save you hundreds of dollars and down time without a ski . That would screw up one`s vacation. Every outboard has a fuel filter and so do most boats .On-water towing costs can range from $250 to $500 per hour. Do the math… 13.00 fuel filter why not? Or a nice fat tow bill 250.00 Seems like I would choose hum…. any deposits from ethanol will be caught in the filter. People modify their skis without any danger to the ski or person all the time.

See You On The Water
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    BBCaprice he will get back to you as soon as he back flushes his fuel injectors or he is just busy installing a inline fuel filter on his ski.
    In the interim, I think it`s a great preventive measure that can save you hundreds of dollars and down time without a ski . That would screw up one`s vacation. Every outboard has a fuel filter and so do most boats .On-water towing costs can range from $250 to $500 per hour. Do the math… 13.00 fuel filter why not? Or a nice fat tow bill 250.00 Seems like I would choose hum…. any deposits from ethanol will be caught in the filter. People modify their skis without any danger to the ski or person all the time.

See You On The Water
    C J
    There is no way you can install a proper high pressure marine grade fuel filter for $13.... It has a filter in the tank that is plenty sufficient for the job.

Best of luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information