Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Fx sho clutch issue?

Got an fx sho at 230hrs and still on factory clutch

My issue is that when on wot and sea is choppy (and ski goes out if water and back in a lot of times) revs gets limited to 5.5k after about 10 seconds and in order to get the power back I have to fully release the throttle and if i press it back i get full power for a while (and then happens again if I am on wot) is it the one way bearing issue?

Also when I kill the engine the sound of the supercharger spinning down slightly changed sort of there is a slight sound of when a whining bearing faulty on the wheel of your car (I have disconnected the bilge to record the video)

I have just did the ribbon delete and am still using the standard airbox and filter

I checked the wheel and it spins one way, also recently I removed the engine and changed timing chain/guides/tensioner

Last edited by dijsil; 10-14-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dijsil View Post
    Got an fx sho at 230hrs and still on factory clutch

My issue is that when on wot and sea is choppy (and ski goes out if water and back in a lot of times) revs gets limited to 5.5k after about 10 seconds and in order to get the power back I have to fully release the throttle and if i press it back i get full power for a while (and then happens again if I am on wot) is it the one way bearing issue?

Also when I kill the engine the sound of the supercharger spinning down slightly changed sort of there is a slight sound of when a whining bearing faulty on the wheel of your car (I have disconnected the bilge to record the video)

I have just did the ribbon delete and am still using the standard airbox and filter

I checked the wheel and it spins one way, also recently I removed the engine and changed timing chain/guides/tensioner

Hi,
    Does sound like a clutch on the way out but could be other things of course. I have found the S/C spins down after you switch off and the noise from it has always made me uncomfotable, as you describe sounds like a dry bearing but been like for years now.
    I had the same as you with boost not being there all the time, back off throttle and hit it again and it would be find for a while before failing again. I checked my clutch and it only spun one way as described, but mine felt a bit spongy as it lockes up - should be rock soild locking. I went about another hour before it went completely, the shop said I needed the small gear as well because it showed wear or damage.
    Since my last clutch broke on the 1st day while I was away on holidays, I have gone back to Yamalube recommended oil to see if I get any better life out of it. I have had 3 clutches replaced in 210 hours on my 2010 SHO, no more super slick synthetic oil for me for a while - just for the sake of the clutch. I only ride in river and rarely jump waves or wakes, but I am running an ET Low boost wheel so more strain on the clutch.

Cheers

Dave

+1
    Damn 3 clutches. This is my first replacement and have always ran it with genuine yamalube since I had it. (From about 70hrs not sure what previous owner used)

+1
    That sound is normal, and your clutch is slipping. Time for a new one
    I wish these things had a external belt drive like the Kawi. I’d much rather replace a belt then having to dive into the front of the motor time after time

+1
    is it the one way bearing giving up thus slipping? I will look into a clutch change or clutch upgrade prices and then decide

+1
    I have a 2018 FX SVHO level 6 tune- alcohol injected-Mobil synthetic
    0-W-40 oil -no blow off valve- 19 psi compressor wheel- - 174 hours on original factory clutch. There must be a problem with your maintenance or something for your superchargers going out so soon. Not warming the engine before riding? I don`t understand all these problems at 15, 40, 50 hours three and four clutch replacements on the same ski?
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dijsil View Post
    is it the one way bearing giving up thus slipping? I will look into a clutch change or clutch upgrade prices and then decide
    Its all those sprags or fingers when it spins they grab the center bearing where you see is all pitted. Both the sprags and inner surface will wear thus it just spins without grabbing or sporadic grabbing.
    now itís just a paper weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	455044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	455045  

+1
    It’s not the bearing but the center gear that the sprags grab

+1
    Then if it is the center gear that the sprag clutch rides on then, have the new sprag gear and assembly sent out for cryo treatment. Problem solved

C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Then if it is the center gear that the sprag clutch rides on then, have the new sprag gear and assembly sent out for cryo treatment. Problem solved

C J
    I believe I’ve heard a few members here tried that process but never heard about the results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information