Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Testing new gauge STX15f STX12F

Found this and thought it was interesting. I picked one up to play with.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/ap...lti-functions/

I am a little concerned that its ONLY ip66 rated but once I have it in hand I will see what it looks like. $170 shipped, I can't imagine it costing another $500 to get it working on the stx.

EDIT: I found this one as well which looks cool if you are willing to sacrifice fuel level to install a narrowband 02 sensor. ( https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/ap...on-tachometer/ )

Sean
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 10-10-2019 at 02:46 PM.

+1
    I'm shocked that they include those crappy wire quick tap things with their kit. Even on an ATV you're gonna corrode the crap out of the wire you tap into so imagine the issues on a PWC.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    I'm shocked that they include those crappy wire quick tap things with their kit. Even on an ATV you're gonna corrode the crap out of the wire you tap into so imagine the issues on a PWC.
    No question. I will be using factory sumitomo connectors.

Sean

4. +1 by:

If that works, no way I'm spending $500 on a used meter or the $1K for a new one. The link says $270 USD. Mines shot and completely disconnected. Let us know Sean!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa stx View Post
    If that works, no way I'm spending $500 on a used meter or the $1K for a new one. The link says $270 USD. Mines shot and completely disconnected. Let us know Sean!
    Will do, supposed to get here next week sometime. I got it for $170 shipped on ebay. it was $157 on amazon.

One way to do it would be to add an inline water temp adapter (included with gauge) on one of the cooling lines, doing the same for the oil temp (tee into the pressure switch), and route the speed sensor into the gauge.

The fuel level is a little tricky since if the ecu reads empty it sets the buzzer off. I think I will just use a fixed value resistor on a plug so the ecu sees full to get around that.

I will play with a stock fuel level sender to see if it will work with this gauge, if not I found a cool conversion box that allows you to use any gauge with any sender.

The main hurdles are getting the ecu out of slo mode which I have never played with and getting power to the harness with the gauge removed since if you pull the gauge it kills the ecu power.

I think I will wire the buzzer in line with the check engine light on the new dash but that leaves several other indicators open for other things.

It is going to be a fun project.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

The main hurdles are getting the ecu out of slo mode which I have never played with and getting power to the harness with the gauge removed since if you pull the gauge it kills the ecu power.

.....Sean
    My mechanic has me running without the gauge connected, but with an ECU that has not been in SLO mode. Dont know how he wired that but Ive been running 8 hrs now without it. Ive been trolling for a new or used gauge here and there but your find seems like I could DIY it after you verify!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa stx View Post
    My mechanic has me running without the gauge connected, but with an ECU that has not been in SLO mode. Dont know how he wired that but Ive been running 8 hrs now without it. Ive been trolling for a new or used gauge here and there but your find seems like I could DIY it after you verify!
    On a 12f or 15f pre 2005 there is no slo mode, you can swap ecus back and forth to run without it but it requires swapping the tune or physical computer. I can reflash the ecus to not use it but only by moving to an early model tune. If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see a picture of how its wired to bypass the gauge and slo mode.

Sean

Once i get it back I will post pics. Mines a 2006 15F, not sure what year the swapped ECU is.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Sean, If this works I will definitely be thinking about it..... the 2003 12f guage quit beeping and does nothing now other than take up space. this would be a much cheaper option.

Tom

+1
    This thing is actually pretty cool. Its on the small side but it seems to be pretty well made. Size wise it should fit the stock opening pretty well with an adapter plate.

Temp sensor looks to be 1/4" npt.

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191017_113902.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	455070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191017_113911.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	455071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191017_113724.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	455072  
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 10-17-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information