Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New 08 VX Cruiser Owner and just a few random ?'s on service and winterization

Hey guys I picked up a super clean 08 VX Cruiser with only 39 hours on it for only $3,000 this weekend with a nice EZ loader trailer. What do you think of that value? I thought it was a steal! I lake tested it and it ran great and got it up to about 53 mph verified with GPS. I am about to put it up for the winter and had a few random service/winterization questions.

1. With the low hours on it but being 11 years old I am just going to go ahead and change the oil, filter, and spark plugs on it. What brand and part numbers do you recommend? Also how much oil does this thing take? Assuming this kit will work for me

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2005-2...0547906&sr=8-1

2. Since the previous owner rarely used it I have no clue how old the gas is on it. I already added some Stabil 360 to the tank of about a 1/3 full, but should I siphon all the gas out for winter or fill it up with fresh gas? Also assuming 87 is to go to on this ski?

3. I am storing it over winter at a family members house 3 hours away. I have already flushed the ski with fresh water, cleared the exhaust by starting it 3 or 4 times with short bursts of throttle, added stabil, pulled the spark plugs and sprayed fogging oil down each cylinder and cranked it over a few times not running, washed and waxed the ski, and dried everything and sprayed some WD40 on engine components, threw a battery trickle charger on it. Is there anything else I need to do to winterize it?

4. I love this ski for our young family and just want the most reliable thing on the water and do not need it to do 70. Are there any major weak spots on this model and if I keep it serviced how many hours can I expect out of her?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_081453.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	454756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_081503.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	454758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_081447.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	454759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191006_081440.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	454761  
    Last edited by TheGrayt1; 10-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.

+1
    I just use the Yamaha oil filters but other members use Motorcraft, Napa, Mobile 1, etc. Also, I just use the Yamaha 4W oil but again others use other brands in the 10W-40 weight. The kit you posted will work perfectly. That MR-1 engine has the oil tank and you'll only get out about 2.5 quarts of the total of about 4. To get the most oil out you can, you need to suck it out after it has run at least a few minutes. You have done the fogging and stuff so I guess wait until Spring. Also, in Spring, don't be surprised if the oil dipstick shows very little oil in the tank. It will settle into the engine after a long downtime. As mentioned, start it and let it run for a few minutes on the hose. Then suck out the oil from the tank. Only put back in what you take out. Keep the oil level in the middle of the low/high marks. If to much oil is in the tank, it will find its way through the breather hose that is connected to the engine air intake tube prior to the air filter and soak the filter. I park mine with a full tank of fuel that has Stabil. Others will siphon them dry. You're correct with 87. You did everything needed for Winterizing. That should be a 1,000 hour ski if maintained/serviced. Nothing to really watch out for. Many rental places run the Yamaha VX because of its longevity. Enjoy the VX and hope Winter is short.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayt1 View Post

2. Since the previous owner rarely used it I have no clue how old the gas is on it. I already added some Stabil 360 to the tank of about a 1/3 full, but should I siphon all the gas out for winter or fill it up with fresh gas?

Also assuming 87 is to go to on this ski?
    Come springtime, I suggest filling the fuel tank with the highest octane premium gasoline you have available - 91, 93, 94. The fresh high octane gasoline will (hopefully) offset some of the degradation in the old fuel. Run through the majority of the fuel before refilling again with high octane.

After that second tank of premium gasoline you can then purchase whatever grade gasoline is recommended by the owners manual. The minimum octane may also be printed on a sticker near the fuel filler.

You could fill the tank up now with premium gasoline, plus stabilizer, but I suggest that the fresh premium gasoline not have ethanol blended in. Ethanol makes gasoline more ‘fragile’ during storage, and the point of adding fresh premium fuel to whatever is in there now is to improve the fuel caliber that you will be using when spring comes.

Adding premium fuel with ethanol in the spring is not an issue as you would presumably be soon using the watercraft and consuming the new fuel along with the old fuel, and the ethanol aspect is not important since you will be using the fuel.

Great thanks for the tips guys. I will probably drain the rest of the tank just bc I have no clue how old it is and the seller said it is a few months old at least.

The plugs looked good but given the age I am just going to replace them. Which plug do you guys reccomend? I thought it was NGK 6955 CR9EB but not sure

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayt1 View Post
    ... I will probably drain the rest of the tank ...
    The owners manual will have the spark plug info. Can be downloaded from Yamaha web site.

To protect the fuel pump from possible corrosion, consider refilling the tank with non-ethanol gasoline rather than storing it with a drained tank. Without being submerged in fuel the metal parts of the fuel pump are exposed to the air, and potentially can rust/corrode.

+1
    NGK CR9EB is the correct spark plug and NGK work well. I change mine every Spring/before ride season. I leave the old ones in to burn off the fogging oil with a two minute or less run on the hose. Then I put in new for that ride season.

Great thanks for all the help guys!

What do you think of the deal I got on the ski? I thought at 3k with a galvanized EZ loaded trailer and at that hours it was a steal.

When fogging my VX Deluxe I remove the two bolts securing the fuel rail and pull the injectors up. There is no need to unplug any of the wiring. I then spray fogging oil directly into each injector port. My reason for doing this is to ensure the intake valves are thoroughly protected against corrosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truck240 View Post
    When fogging my VX Deluxe ... to ensure the intake valves are thoroughly protected against corrosion.
    Do you do anything to protect the exhaust valves and valve stems, which are exposed to moisture from the waterbox?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do you do anything to protect the exhaust valves and valve stems, which are exposed to moisture from the waterbox?
    My winterizing starts at the boat launch. Whenever I pull it out of the water I start it and blip the throttle on the ramp to get the majority of the water out. Once I'm home and do my usual post ride inspection and let things air out I start it and blip the throttle a few more times. I do this as a precaution in case it were to sit unused for an extended time.

My winterizing procedure is to change the oil when I get home from my final ride of the season. Next I tilt the trailer far back and start it and let it run for 30 seconds with the occasional rev. This also let's the Stabil run through the injectors. I pull the injectors and spray fogging oil into each port. I reinstall injectors start the VX one last time for 20 seconds. I pull the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into each cylinder. I reinstall spark plugs with anti seize. With coils unplugged I turn over engine for 15 seconds. I finally remove the battery.

Your question had me second guessing how much water was left in the waterbox. I actually removed the resonator and waterbox. I was surprised that perhaps less than a few tablespoons was left in resonator while the waterbox only had a couple drops. I now understand why Yamaha doesn't stipulate using antifreeze during winterization.
    Last edited by truck240; 10-11-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information