Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

1 Gallon? 16 Gallons? Which one?

2005 RXT garaged during the winter months. Has about 1 gallon of gas in it; gas is treated with Sta-Bil Storage. For winter storage, must I fill the tank full (15 more gallons), or will I be OK with the 1 gallon currently in the ski?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the fuel have ethanol blended in?

How much will the air temperatures vary over the storage season, daytime highs to nighttime lows?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you must fill the tank. leaving the fuel pump exposed to air over the off season is not a good idea

fuel pumps are expensive compared to the cost of a full tank of gas, which you can always burn off in your truck or car.

not to mention the fun job of changing it out.

and your pump is already pretty old

+1
    Fill it up. Empty space equals condensation. RR

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Does the fuel have ethanol blended in?

How much will the air temperatures vary over the storage season, daytime highs to nighttime lows?
    Yes, the gas has ethanol blended into it.

Air temps in the garage fluctuate much less than outdoor air temps. Thus, on any given day, the garage may only change by 10-degrees F. It never gets above 80, nor below 50, in the garage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by browan View Post
    Yes, the gas has ethanol blended into it.

Air temps in the garage fluctuate much less than outdoor air temps. Thus, on any given day, the garage may only change by 10-degrees F. It never gets above 80, nor below 50, in the garage.
    Then, your primary concern (after filling the tank) is not so much condensation as it is, most assuredly, breakdown of that ethanol.

And, whether it starts a flame war of not: StaBil IS NOT ENOUGH ime

Chemically, molecularly, what have you, StaBil DOES NOT “mix” with or have any effect on stored fuel,mother than creating a “film” across the top of the fuel (which is supposed to prevent the ethanol (corn oil) from “drawing” moisture into its molecules, from the surrounding environment (any ambient humidity).

Ideally, you can find some PRI-G (boat marina with a shore store anywhere I your vicinity or online, Amazon, etc.). At the very least add 1oz of SeaFoam per gallon of fuel in the tank (in your case sounds like one 16oz can) and then hook her up to a hose and RUN THE ENGINE LONG ENOUGH to get that PRI-G (or, SeaFoam) treated fuel throughout your entire fuel system.

Best o’ Success!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Then, your primary concern (after filling the tank) is not so much condensation as it is, most assuredly, breakdown of that ethanol.

My view, the primary thing is to fill the fuel tank with non-ethonal premium gasoline. Full tank minimizes the air volume inside the tank into which damp outside air might be drawn, and minimizes the percentage of ethanol in the fuel mixture.

A 50F to 80F temp swing range is not much of a worry, likely the tank venting check valves will maintain air sealing, so moisture carry into the tank via outside air vacuum relief should be minimal. Therefore not much worry about water condensation inside the fuel tank.

The remaining concern would be fuel degradation over time. Starting with highest available octane straight gasoline helps, as the stored fuel effectively (and hopefully slowly) degrades in terms of usable octane, when the machine is next put back into service.

Fuel stabilizer - I use the Marine grade blue StaBil, or StaBil 360. Both StaBil and Startron are generally well regarded.

I generally add fuel stabilizer to the premium non-ethanol fuel fills for the last few tankfuls as I ride in late season. If suddenly I cannot ride anymore due to weather, the fuel system is storage ready.

Summary;
    Premium non-ethanol fuel, tank filled to 90% or more
    StaBil Marine/360 or Startron marine fuel stabilizer

Store watercraft in a moderate temp range, dry indoor storage.

+1
    Is hi-test (91-93 octane) non-ethanol gasoline available in the U.S.? If so, where... how do I find out where?

+1
    Check pure-gas.org

+1
    2005 RXT; calls for hi-test (91-93 octane) gasoline.

I searched around. I cannot find non-ethanol hi-test (91-93 octane) gasoline. However, I found non-ethanol regular (87 octane) gasoline. Based on this, the question is: What's better for winter storage... non-ethanol 87 octane gas... or ethanol-blended 91-93 octane gas... which one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information