Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by browan View Post
    2005 RXT; calls for ... (91-93 octane) gasoline.

I searched around. I cannot find non-ethanol hi-test (91-93 octane) gasoline. However, I found non-ethanol regular (87 octane) gasoline.

Based on this, the question is: What's better for winter storage... non-ethanol 87 octane gas... or ethanol-blended 91-93 octane gas... which one?
    If you filled the 2005 RXT with 87 octane gasoline, what would you do with that non-premium fuel in springtime?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you filled the 2005 RXT with 87 octane gasoline, what would you do with that non-premium fuel in springtime?
    According to the owner's manual, 87 octane is the minimum allowed. Therefore, in the spring, I'd ride until the 87 is all used up and then fill up with 91-93 octane. Or, in the spring, I guess I could add some "octane boost" to the 87 before riding for the first time??? Is there such a thing as "octane boost?"

+1
    According to the owner's manual, 87 octane is the minimum allowed. Therefore, in the spring, I'd ride until the 87 is all used up and then fill up with 91-93 octane.

Or, in the spring, I guess I could add some "octane boost" to the 87 before riding ...
    If the engine is rated to operate on 87 octane then riding that tankful down seems fine.

I would suggest not riding it wide open (especially for extended periods) until you can refill it with higher octane gasoline..

Do not bother with octane boost. It will not provide any real benefit for your engine.

5 gallons of fresh stabilized 93 octane in the fall and 10 gallons of fresh 93 in the spring... been doing that for 20 plus years.

+1
    If you don't believe that condensation takes place during storage, go to a local small airport and talk to the people there. Airplanes have drain valves on all the fuel tanks and testing each tank for water is part of the preflight inspection. In Georgia, where the OP lives, yes you will get condensation. The problem isn't nearly as bad on the polyethylene (I think) tanks in PWC as it is in metal tanks in aircraft.

I live in a semi-desert area and have never had water in my airplane fuel until I traveled to other parts of the country. I've drained over an ounce of water out of a tank, which can definitely cause a problem on take-off. I had an engine stumble and almost quit on takeoff due to water. Kept it running with the primer until it was able to work all the water out.

Keep the tank fuel during long-term storage!

+1
    Sooooo, for a 4-TEC 215HP RXT, here's an interesting question: What's better for winter storage in Atlanta, GA... choice A or choice B?

A. 5-gallons of stabilized (Sta-Bil Storage) 87-octane non-ethanol gasoline.
    B. 16-gallons (full tank) of stabilized 91/93-octane ethanol-blended gasoline.

There exists the possibility there is already over 8 ounces of water in 16 gallons of ethanol blended fuel. these aren't airplanes, they run on ethanol blended fuel, leave it low in the fall and fill up in the spring...

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths

+1
    ... 4-TEC 215HP RXT ... for winter storage in Atlanta, GA. ...

C = at least enough fuel depth to cover the top of the metal fuel pump.

Regarding condensation risk, the less air space above the fuel the better.

Sooooo, for a 4-TEC 215HP RXT, here's an interesting question: What's better for winter storage in Atlanta, GA... choice A or choice B?

I have the same setup. I don't think 93 non-E exists. I use regular 93 all year with marine stabil. In the winter I fill it about 3/4 full and stabilize the crap out of it. That's worked for 2 seasons(Oct-Apr) in NC just fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by goheelzfan View Post
    ... I don't think 93 non-E exists. ...
    Different regions have different gasoline grades and ethanol blends available. In some areas a specialty rasoline retailer might offer high octane non-ethanol gasoline. Marketed in some areas as marine or recreational fuel.

In my region 91 octane is widely available (specific brands) without ethanol, so I would fill with that for storage.

93 and 94 octane gasolines are also available here, with ethanol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information