Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2009 MR1 HO Oil leak

So i've been chasing this oil leak all summer on an MR1 HO 1052 CC motor out of a jetboat. Haven't had much luck on the jetboat forums. Figured there's thousands of these skis running around, and maybe someone has come across this.

I've run dye in the oil for the last few months and haven't been able to find any trace of oil on the motor except this anode in the crankcase. Now it appears this is for water, and is confirmed when I pull the anode there's water present but no oil there in the crankcase. Oil isn't mixing with water either as my oil reservoir has no water in it. I check it all the time.

Part number 11 is what I'm looking at.

It looked like it needed to be replaced anyways so I replaced it. However, no idea how oil is getting on there. Every where else on the motor is dry and the dye doesn't show up anywhere else but in the bilge or on this part. It's not a lot of oil, maybe a tablespoon every outing.

Particularly the mount bolt has oil on it from top to bottom. No other issues noticed. I put about 40ish hours on the boat since I noticed this. This is a new to me boat this year, and the bilge was filthy. I didn't even notice the oil leak until I cleaned it. So there's a chance this has been going on for years.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTE1NzkzMg-e531abaf.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	454674  

+1
    Hmmm oil on the anode that’s a new one......

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    Hmmm oil on the anode that’s a new one......
    My thoughts too. It has to be coming from somewhere else that's hidden really well as I can't see or feel any oil on anything around it. It hasn't created any issue or gotten any worse, so I'm almost reaching the point I just say fuck it. Until it either gets worse or shows itself. My only guess it is has to be somewhere the oil could drip directly onto the anode from up above it. However, anything I can tell from up above it is dry. Unless it's the TINIEST of pin hole leaks in one of the oil cooler lines right near it. Then the crazy thing is all those lines are clean and dry. It's driving me nuts.

+1
    That's a new one on me as well.

Well I'll be damned. I've replaced that anode and sealed it with RTV. If oil still manages to find it's way out, it won't be through that. Hopefully it'll show itself. It's approaching offseason and I haven't taken the boat out since replacing that anode. I'll likely be pulling it out of storage this upcoming weekend to change the oil, get her cleaned up, and "winterized".

Hi

Forgive me for asking, but presumably you aren’t guilty of the usual oil overfilling issue that this engine sees all too often ?

+1
    Given the age, and how o-rings than old can fail ... 1st thing that comes to my mind is the oil-cooler/reservoir. It is basically bolted to the back of the engine (which is technically the front of backwards-installed engine), and there are two very short "pipes" buried in the lower section linking the engine and cooler, and o-rings are on each side of both (so 4 in total). If a small leak were there, it would indeed be very hard to pin-point.
    Oil on the anode - can't explain that either - other than I know oil-creep can be very sneaky - like ninja !

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi

Forgive me for asking, but presumably you aren’t guilty of the usual oil overfilling issue that this engine sees all too often ?
    I have read that too about these motors and I have been militant about making sure they haven't been overfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Given the age, and how o-rings than old can fail ... 1st thing that comes to my mind is the oil-cooler/reservoir. It is basically bolted to the back of the engine (which is technically the front of backwards-installed engine), and there are two very short "pipes" buried in the lower section linking the engine and cooler, and o-rings are on each side of both (so 4 in total). If a small leak were there, it would indeed be very hard to pin-point.
    Oil on the anode - can't explain that either - other than I know oil-creep can be very sneaky - like ninja !
    no oil or dye had shown up anywhere I could see by there. When I pull the boat out of storage I'll take another gander and poke around some more by the oil cooler area and see.

I wondered if it is that plastic housing right there by the anode, and maybe under load it would spray there. So here's where it gets even more interesting. If we just go out and cruise......it won't leak. If we go out and fill up the ballasts and tube/surf and it's hot out (i.e. put the engine under a good load) is when the oil leak will start to show. You mean parts 1 and 2?

+1
    Correct, the o-rings, part #2's. Yet I really can't say if a leak there would wick over to the anode area or not.

The plastic part nearest the anode . . . are you speaking of the crank case oil separator? This is an easy part to remove/inspect if you can access it. It does flow some oil, but not any high pressures. Simply a gravity-drain system from the reduction gear housing bearing and the vent tube to the air box for crank case vapors. Under engine load, there would certainly be more piston ring blow-by, thus more crank case gases to evacuate, which if not doing its job correctly (or plastic cracked) could leak oil. Worth a look in my opinion..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information