Confusing slxh 98 no spark

I have a 1998 slxh with the 1050 motor. I have followed a very in depth troubleshooting guide to chase down what the cause is and I'm still confused.
    The problem happened while I was riding the ski, it literally just died. I originally thought I accidentally pulled the lanyard but I didn't. I haven't had spark ever since.
    This ski has the CDI box ending in ...447 which from what I read is the updated CDI. I followed the troubleshooting to a T, new battery with 12.6 volt, 11.4 while cranking, unplug yellow black kill switch wire also the grey wire, ohmed all grounds.
    Where I'm lost is I don't have 8 volts out of my CDI but when I hook up a good 9 volt battery to send 8 volts to the stator I still have no spark.
    I hate not knowing and I feel like I still don't know if it's the stator or the CDI. I feel like it's the CDI since I don't have the 8 volts coming out.
    Another odd thing is the MDF, it is showing mph and moving around while just sitting there. Anywhere from 4-30 mph as it's reading something but it's just sitting on the trailer. The mode button nor setting button do not work. I unplugged the MDF and tried the troubleshooting procedure again with no change. I have another MDF on a SLT 780 I'm thinking about swapping but any advice and or help would be greatly appreciated. I hate throwing parts at problems.

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk.

Did you do the Ohm test with the 9v battery and turning the engine ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Welcome to GreenHulk.

Did you do the Ohm test with the 9v battery and turning the engine ?
    Uhm, negative. Maybe I didn't follow the troubleshooting correctly. Please explain the ohm test with the 9v.

+1
    Usually in the new updated kits the cdi fails...my 99 did it last year

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    Usually in the new updated kits the cdi fails...my 1999 did it last year
    Meaning the upgrade kit Gen III stator rarely fails.

Gen III CDI are also pretty good, but CDI electronics do sometimes fail.

Make sure the CDI is actually getting full battery power into the Red/Purple wire. If you have a bilge button, press and hold it. See if you now have spark.

And you must always have a realy strong battery installed. Voltage feeding into the CDI must exceed 10.6 volts while the engine is cranking. Otherwise, no spark.

10.7 volts while cranking it this evening during testing. I'm still lost on this one. Tried the bilge button while cranking. Ohmd the stator which seems to be inspect. What I don't understand is how to ohm test with the 9vlt battery. Plus the speedometer is still flashing random mph numbers while I'm working on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crgraham9 View Post
    10.7 volts while cranking it this evening during testing. I'm still lost on this one. Tried the bilge button while cranking. Ohmd the stator which seems to be inspect. What I don't understand is how to ohm test with the 9vlt battery. Plus the speedometer is still flashing random mph numbers while I'm working on it.
    How are you measuring that voltage?

Click my signature link, then find the section for the red engines. Then find the magneto stator testing links.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

The MFD uses water/air pressure to measure speed. There is a thin clear tube that runs from the pitot nipple under the drive shaft up to the back of the MFD. I suspect the speedometer tube is clogged or pinched flat somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How are you measuring that voltage?

Click my signature link, then find the section for the red engines. Then find the magneto stator testing links.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

The MFD uses water/air pressure to measure speed. There is a thin clear tube that runs from the pitot nipple under the drive shaft up to the back of the MFD. I suspect the speedometer tube is clogged or pinched flat somewhere.
    I measured the voltage while cranking at the battery and another time grounding it to the engine block and positive on the starter solenoid just to see what draw it has there.
    The speedometer worked fine when the ski was running. I've worked on and own several older Polaris skis and never seen the speedo moving around like that. Just seems to be a ground fault in the MDF unit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crgraham9 View Post
    I measured the voltage while cranking at the battery and another time grounding it to the engine block and positive on the starter solenoid just to see what draw it has there.
    Neither of those is the actual power feed wire into the CDI. It is the CDI itself which needs the strong voltage, otherwise no spark.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Neither of those is the actual power feed wire into the CDI. It is the CDI itself which needs the strong voltage, otherwise no spark.
    Okay, I'll check that once I get a chance. Unfortunately I broke my ankle over the weekend riding motocross so it might be a while before I get to it now .
    Thank you all for the advice so far I do appreciate it.

Thread Information