Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    2003 Ultra 150 Winterization

    Hello, I have a 2003 Kawasaki Ultra 150 that I'm going to be winterizing soon. I currently have probably 7 gallons of pump gas from the regular gas station with stabil in it. Was wondering if I should drain that or keep it in there threw the winter. Also wonder what the process is to flush the system because I can't find any hookups. Any tips on winterizing it I'd appreciate. This is my first summer owning a ski here in Michigan. Thanks for your help.


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra150Gw View Post
    Hello, I have a 2003 Kawasaki Ultra 150 that I'm going to be winterizing soon. I currently have probably 7 gallons of pump gas from the regular gas station with stabil in it. Was wondering if I should drain that or keep it in there threw the winter. Also wonder what the process is to flush the system because I can't find any hookups. Any tips on winterizing it I'd appreciate. This is my first summer owning a ski here in Michigan. Thanks for your help.
    You don't have a hose hook up inside the hull near the cylinder heads?

    I am also curious how to winterize one of these. I have a 2002 STX-R that I want to winterize as well. I'll be keeping mine in a garage that won't go below freezing but I still want to winterize it properly.

    I am not sure if skis are the same but the old school way to winterize the fuel was to fill it to the top and add fuel stabilizer. That way there isn't any room for moisture to accumulate. I don't know if that holds true with jetskis and the ethanol fuel we have to deal with nowadays.

  3. #3
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,815
    +1
    653
    If possible, drain out all fuel that has ethanol and replace with non-ethanol fuel. Treat it with StaBil or similar fuel treatment. Run the engine on the flush hose for several minutes to get the ethanol out of the carbs. Also, flush with SaltAway or similar cooling treatment flush to help reduce corrosion and scale buildup in the cooling system. Turn off the water FIRST, rev the engine a couple of times to get the water out of the exhaust system, then shut it off. Top off the fuel tank with treated fuel to reduce condensation.

    Tilt your trailer tongue up to drain all the water from the exhaust expansion chamber, then set it back down level. The expansion chamber collects water and water in there will cause corrosion and pinholes in it for next year. Leaving the trailer tilted upward promotes flooding the engine with oil during long term storage, so it's important to leave the trailer level.

  4. #4
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,620
    +1
    176
    As it freezes in Michigan, I always pour about a 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze into the flush connector on the exhaust. Pour in about 1/4 of it with the ski level. Then start it and blip the throttle, repeat until some coolant blows out the exhaust. That will prevent any chance of the water in the block and exhaust from freezing
    Then remove the spark plugs and give the cylinders a good shot of boat storage seal, spin the engine over and repeat. Then reinstall spark plugs.
    Remove battery and charge it up fully and store it in a cool dry place.
    As this ski will be sitting for 7 months
    This is in addition to everything Steve suggested.

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5
    I have had great success with marine grade stabil in gas with standard pump gas.

    I have 5 gallon container with a garden hose hook up then i put 2 gallons of rtv antifreeze the red stuff. Put container above ski start engine and i use my compressor to pressurize the container to force antifreeze into engine run until gone then blip throttle a few times and shut it off.

    Remove spark plugs and spark arresters, ground spark plug wires and spray in cylinder and carbs with stabil fogging oil. Turn over a bunch of times and repeat 1-2times. Its important to pull arresters so you get the crank nice and oiled.Put arrester back on and leave plugs loose to let ant moisture out that might get in there.

    Pull battery and put on charger where its away from freezing temps.

    My skis live in an unheated shed in ct, winters get below zero at times.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I have had great success with marine grade stabil in gas with standard pump gas.

    I have 5 gallon container with a garden hose hook up then i put 2 gallons of rtv antifreeze the red stuff. Put container above ski start engine and i use my compressor to pressurize the container to force antifreeze into engine run until gone then blip throttle a few times and shut it off.

    Remove spark plugs and spark arresters, ground spark plug wires and spray in cylinder and carbs with stabil fogging oil. Turn over a bunch of times and repeat 1-2times. Its important to pull arresters so you get the crank nice and oiled.Put arrester back on and leave plugs loose to let ant moisture out that might get in there.


    Pull battery and put on charger where its away from freezing temps.

    My skis live in an unheated shed in ct, winters get below zero at times.
    When you say "standard pump gas" you mean gas with ethanol in it correct? I know you live in CT and I live in RI. I haven't seen non ethanol gas anywhere in New England. I have seen it down south but not in New England. Well not at all the standard stations at least. I know of one gas station in Cranston, RI that sells high octane race fuel. I assume that is ethanol free but it is like 112 octane and stupid expensive. I am hoping you mean regular gas with ethanol is what you've been using with the marine grade Stabil.

    Could you please explain how to use a compressor to pressurize the container to force the antifreeze through the system? Sorry for my ignorance. I've never done that before.

  8. #7
    Yes just 92 octane with ethonal

    I installed a garden hose on off on the tank, theres a vent and i use an air nozzle to compress tank. Works great, you could also use an electric pump to pump fluid if you wanted. I just have all that stuff on hand already

  9. #8
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,815
    +1
    653
    And, if you re really anal about it, you can get desiccant spark plug hole inserts and exhaust inserts.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    And, if you re really anal about it, you can get desiccant spark plug hole inserts and exhaust inserts.
    Is the antifreeze necessary if I am going to store my ski in a garage that won't drop below freezing? I assume no.

  11. #10
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,815
    +1
    653
    Correct, you don't need antifreeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2003 Ultra 150 issue
    By Ultra150Gw in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2019, 02:49 PM
  2. Please help me fix my Ultra 150-2003
    By Peteronn in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM
  3. 2003 Ultra 150 speedometer off
    By brtl1000s in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2014, 07:10 AM
  4. 2003 Ultra 150 Comperssion ????
    By frankbarb in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
  5. F/S 2003 Ultra 150 in NJ
    By mike1252 in forum Kawasaki Skis
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •