Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

New 2020 GP1800R HO

Pulled the trigger yesterday on a new 2020 GP1800R HO. Got it in black/carbon. Paid 12K for it and 220 for dealer prep, got a cover for 180 an extended warranty included. Think I did well. Picking in up in the spring.

Does this ski need anything out of the box? Are there any “free” mods I should do? Or is there anything I need to address?? Also does thei ski come with a flush fitting ?

+1
    anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    anyone?
    this may have been covered but I don’t see black as an option on Yamahas website but see a few dealers have for sale

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    ... new 2020 GP1800R HO. ...

Does this ski need anything out of the box?
    Are there any “free” mods I should do?
    Or is there anything I need to address??
    Also does thei ski come with a flush fitting ?
    Your non-supercharged machine is pretty well configured right out of the box.

Flush fitting is factory, located under the rear storage bucket.

I suggest riding it for a while, completely stock.

One change/upgrade you might consider would be an automatic water sensing bilge pump. I have posted details of my own installation using the Whale SS1212 bilge pump. I expect to never actually need the bilge pump, and it would still be worth the cost of having it.

I have also posted details on a bunch of covenience and safety upgrades, everything from holding the glovebox open to mounting a GPS chartplotter navigation system.

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Same machine as my VXS or the VXR made since 2015. The 1800 HO motor been used longer than that and was in previous hull VX hull since 2011. So lots of threads and info on this forum so search and look around.
    I guess ribbon delete would be free, i used the sleeve purchased in greenhulk store. A lot of people dont see rpm and therefore top speed they are looking for. Bending trailing edge of prop for higher rpm (7700-7800, limiter 7898 ) but staying off limiter would be free.

I have ribbon delete, cold air intake, and cut ride plate. Picked up rpm and ~3 mph.

Great machine right out of the box. Congrats!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
    Same machine as my VXS or the VXR made since 2015. ... lots of threads and info on this forum ...

I guess ribbon delete would be free ... A lot of people dont see rpm and therefore top speed they are looking for. ...

I have ribbon delete, cold air intake, and cut ride plate. Picked up rpm and ~3 mph.

Did you modify/change the impeller?

Your modified pre-2019 ride plate probably provided a good part of the gains you saw. The 2019 model already has the better 'race' ride plate (and a better intake grate).

2018 onwards now use a molded plastic intake manifold on the engine, and so far reports have generally found that deleting the ribbon inside did not provide noticable (if any) power gains. Unclear whether a cold air intake does much for the non-supercharged 1.8 HO engine.

Update: Apparently the ribbon disc can become dislodged and even work loose and be drawn into the engine intake valves, even on a stock engine with the plastic intake manifold.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=295336&p=3147778&viewfull=1#post3 147778

Impeller upgrade for the 2020 HO might provide some speed gain, but of course is not 'free'.
    Last edited by K447; 10-18-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Congrats on the new ski, enjoy the ride before it gets too cold.

Cool man I would not mod a n/a ski Yamaha does a good job from the factory!

Oh and there is a quick-disconnect hose adapter for flushing the ski. Make sure the dealership provides you with one.

Overland Park, KS (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    No I have not modified or changed impeller. I ride in a variety of weather and early spring and late fall I appear to be getting close as display is one down from 8k and hit speeds of 66.5 mph. I don't think I have ever hit the limiter at top speed. I do not have an aftermarket tach and not exact as you know being same as your GP1800 SVHO. Have Candoo on ski for gps and phone so not exact either. Heat of summer hot water and humidity I am down rpm (300+) and speed (2-3 mph). Maybe could get a bit more performance out of it but I am happy with it for now. I regularly see claims of 61-62 mph at 7000-7200 rpm. This is correct and close to what mine does at that rpm. I think bending stock prop for rpm would give some of these people a worthwhile performance gain although I have not myself.

The Jim's cut plate with a single washer on front bolts of plate for angle are a large part of the top speed gains. However the combination of ribbon delete and air intake felt like they had a bit more low end and mid range pull. I did those changes at same times so can't differ between the two. After those mods I can sometimes hit the limiter from a dead stop and did not before and 30-60 mph pull felt a bit stronger. I picked up ~150-200 rpm. Here is a Greenhulk back to back testing of that combination where it cut over half a second off 0-60 time. This was on previous hull but same motor. It also sounds nice and can hear motor more.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149032

Where are these reports of the new manifolds deleting ribbon not providing gains. Are Deansteam and other race teams leaving the ribbon in?

Impeller changes have had mixed results from what I have seen on this generation VX hull. If I do I might try the 13/18 to pick up a little rpm.
    Pt. # 132-11319 R&D/Solas 13/19 Stainless Steel Replacement Impeller which will directly replace damaged or worn O.E.M. Impellers. Works excellent in 2015-2018 VXR’s as a direct replacement
    Pt. # 132-11318 R&D/Solas 13/18 Stainless Steel High Performance Impellers will work well in stock applications where an RPM gain of 150-200 RPM’s over stock impellor/stock ecu is desired. The 13/18 also is a premium choice for R&D Performer and Stage 1 Kits using R1, R2 or R3 ECU Programs. The 13/18 is the overall R&D Team favorite for all around best low end response, as well as great top speed performance (1 MPH speed improvement over stock)

TESTING INFORMATION: ˝ Tank fuel, on stage 2-3 2015-2018 VXR 80 Degree Temp, 500Ft Elevation
    R3 ECU 13/19=7600 RPM
    R3 ECU 13/18=7650-7700 RPM
    R3 ECU 13.5/17=7800 RPM
    R3 ECU 14/16= 7900-8000 RPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information