Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Where are these reports of the new manifolds deleting ribbon not providing gains?
    I don’t have the links at hand.

When the plastic intake manifolds first appeared for the 2018 model year it was something of a hassle to extract the ribbon. Early experimenters removed the ribbon on some machines, left it in on others, and some did comparative testing before and after removing. Most were SVHO engines but some were non-supercharged. After a while the general feeling was that removing the ribbon from the plastic intake manifold might provide a small gain but might also not be worth the trouble.

On the SVHO engine removing the ribbon slightly changes the air:fuel ratios for the middle two cylinders, allowing them to run slightly more lean. The aftermarket tunes apparently now adjust fuel mapping to compensate.

Nothing “new” about it. It’s the same ski overall as the VXR since 2014...

the GP1800 since 2017 is really just a VXR SVHO. I’ve been calling my GP that ever since and single handily caused YAMAHA to change the name of the VXR to GP1800 HO by calling them out for the silliness. Yamaha wanted to play off nostalgia by bringing back the GP name. They could have at least changed the hood of the VXR to make the GP look different. But of course they didn’t.

THE VXR, GP1800, GP1800R, GP1800R HO, and GP1800R SVHO ARE ALL THE SAME ski, aside from a few lbs between Nano and Nano 2 and the HO/SVHO engines. And don’t even get me started on the ride plate and intake grate difference that do improve acceleration slightly but slow it down on top end.. 🤦🏼♂️.
    if you went with the HO, being the fastest isn’t in your vocabulary so just leave it alone. Maybe a tune in a few months when you get bored with 65mph.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I don’t have the links at hand.

When the plastic intake manifolds first appeared for the 2018 model year it was something of a hassle to extract the ribbon. Early experimenters removed the ribbon on some machines, left it in on others, and some did comparative testing before and after removing. Most were SVHO engines but some were non-supercharged. After a while the general feeling was that removing the ribbon from the plastic intake manifold might provide a small gain but might also not be worth the trouble.

On the SVHO engine removing the ribbon slightly changes the air:fuel ratios for the middle two cylinders, allowing them to run slightly more lean. The aftermarket tunes apparently now adjust fuel mapping to compensate.
    the ribbon delete provides massive gains in acceleration, plastic or metal. It’s jut tricky to cut out the molded ribbon on the plastics.
    Many have put the cast manifold from older years in without the ribbon and
    used aftermarket intercoolers to compensate for the heat fade
    the plastic manifold was supposed to help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Floon34 View Post
    ... the VXR since 2014...
    The current VXR hull was introduced for the 2015 model year, IIRC.

My understanding is that the new-for-2017 GP1800 hull with NanoXcel 2 material also has slight differences in the strakes on the bottom, near the intake grate and ride plate, compared to the 2015-onwards VXR hull bottom.

I do not know if the VXR in later years adopted the same (perhaps when the 2019 VXR changed to NanoXcel 2)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_GP1800-Blue-Hull_01_l.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	456918  
    Last edited by K447; 12-28-2019 at 06:04 PM.

+1
    the ribbon delete provides massive gains in acceleration, plastic or metal. It’s jut tricky to cut out the molded ribbon on the plastics.
    actually i did the opposite
    put the plastic manifold on one of my fz and take the ribbon out by the RIVA Kit.
    Must say it is not so hard to get it done.
    i did’nt have a try yet waiting for warmer wheather

What dealer did you buy your GP from? And did your 12k include tax??

+1
    Apparently the ribbon disc can become dislodged and even work loose and be drawn into the engine intake valves, even on a stock engine with the plastic intake manifold.http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=295336&p=3147778&viewfull=1#post3 147778

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information