+1

New guy again, switched up the PWC, and have a few questions

Greetings,

I got my '08 RXT some moths ago, had fun with it, but was made an offer I could not refuse so I sold it. I missed the 'ol girl so just before the end of the season I decided to snap up another one, at least one very close to it.

I got a '08 RXP-255!
    It has 143hrs, looks clean, both cosmetically and mechanically (using things learned from my RXT on the RXP I had a good idea what to look for)
    I did a 3hr ride on it a few days ago, it rides very nicely, and I'm enjoying the extra agility of the R vs T.

Not everything is perfect however, and hence a few questions:

Issue #1:
    It appears my instrument cluster has some moisture in it? It did not appear right away, but I can see a light misting inside the "glass" just over the hr meter and the circular indicator sections (the low fuel light, temp, oil circular light sections).

I can also see there is a bit of moisture between the 'glass' and digital speedo indicator, it looks like water trapped between two layers of glass?

The cluster works just fine, shows speed, messages, hrs, rpm etc etc. Just have some moisture in there?
    Once the ski is in the garage and dry, the moisture seems to disappear? (except the water between the speedo lcd display and outer gauge glass, thats always visible)

How do I fix this and prevent it from coming back? I'm also concerned that this could damage the instrument cluster if left too long?

A quick look at the back of the gauges, don't show any obvious cracks or ways for water to get in?

Issue #2:
    It seems that the VTS display gets a bit "finnicky" in the middle? meaning at the upper most and lower most range it shows the position, but when you adjust the vts to somewhere in the middle, it seems to jump around a bit? flickers a bar up, a bar down, sometimes it skips the middle range and shows only the upper 2 or lower 2 bars only?
    I'm guessing this is a vts position sensor issue?

The upper and lower limits do work just fine, and the VTS moves up and down just fine (smooth) and stops on the upper and lower range limits.

Is this something that can be fixed? how involved would the repair be?

Is it possible this could be related to the #1 moisture in gauge cluster issue?

Thanks in Advance!
    I knew of both issues before purchasing the ski, but figured with some help I could tackle myself.

Tazmool

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmool View Post
    Greetings,

I got my '08 RXT some moths ago, had fun with it, but was made an offer I could not refuse so I sold it. I missed the 'ol girl so just before the end of the season I decided to snap up another one, at least one very close to it.

I got a '08 RXP-255!
    It has 143hrs, looks clean, both cosmetically and mechanically (using things learned from my RXT on the RXP I had a good idea what to look for)
    I did a 3hr ride on it a few days ago, it rides very nicely, and I'm enjoying the extra agility of the R vs T.

Not everything is perfect however, and hence a few questions:

Issue #1:
    It appears my instrument cluster has some moisture in it? It did not appear right away, but I can see a light misting inside the "glass" just over the hr meter and the circular indicator sections (the low fuel light, temp, oil circular light sections).

I can also see there is a bit of moisture between the 'glass' and digital speedo indicator, it looks like water trapped between two layers of glass?

The cluster works just fine, shows speed, messages, hrs, rpm etc etc. Just have some moisture in there?
    Once the ski is in the garage and dry, the moisture seems to disappear? (except the water between the speedo lcd display and outer gauge glass, thats always visible)

How do I fix this and prevent it from coming back? I'm also concerned that this could damage the instrument cluster if left too long?

A quick look at the back of the gauges, don't show any obvious cracks or ways for water to get in?

Issue #2:
    It seems that the VTS display gets a bit "finnicky" in the middle? meaning at the upper most and lower most range it shows the position, but when you adjust the vts to somewhere in the middle, it seems to jump around a bit? flickers a bar up, a bar down, sometimes it skips the middle range and shows only the upper 2 or lower 2 bars only?
    I'm guessing this is a vts position sensor issue?

The upper and lower limits do work just fine, and the VTS moves up and down just fine (smooth) and stops on the upper and lower range limits.

Is this something that can be fixed? how involved would the repair be?

Is it possible this could be related to the #1 moisture in gauge cluster issue?

Thanks in Advance!
    I knew of both issues before purchasing the ski, but figured with some help I could tackle myself.

Tazmool

Do a search on removing the VTS. Basically, it needs maintenance, needs some lube, and/or the electric motor is fading....there is an automotive replacement part available to save money.

+1
    An update,

I was able to remove the instrument cluster. Its not terribly difficult, however one of the two stainless steel screws that hold the cluster to the dash, snapped off.... a stainless steel screw snapped off in a plastic housing. I thought that was strange, must be some soft metal and tough plastic.

Anyway, I drilled out the remainder of the SS screw, drilled out the plastic housing hole a size up and used a skinny nut and bolt set replacing the original SS wood-type screws.

Upon investigation, I found how moisture got into the cluster.

The green arrow points to an air check valve, its there to allow air to exit the cluster (as it heats up in the sun and the air inside expands) but stops moisture laden outside air from going in. That check valve works just fine.
    The yellow arrow points to a opening in the back of the dash, this opening is supposed to have a plug in it, or it will allow moist air, or even plain water to enter the dash. This is what was happening wish my dash, as there is no plug at all...

On the clear side of the dash, I could see moisture inside the cluster, and if I gently heated up a portion of the dash, I could see water misting areas of the display.

Next challenge was how to get the moisture out?
    I did not want to disassemble the cluster as it looks to be glued shut during assembly.

Here is what I did:

I ended up pushing very dry air (dew point in the -40C range) through the cluster. In the photo you can see a rubber hose hooked up to the opening that originally let the moisture in, the air then would exit via the check valve that is there to allow air out, hopefully taking some moisture from inside with it.

A few days of this, and several heating and cooling cycles seems to have removed all the moisture.
    The cluster is not perfect, it has some dry mineral deposits on the front where the water was and evaporated, but it seems that its no longer moist and should be ok (I won't have to worry about the cluster shorting out, hopefully)

Once I removed the air supply hose, I simply capped off the air port with a small rubber plug (snug fit, should not fall off)

So it is possible to remove water from the instrument cluster with out taking it apart, and if water is getting in, check the back of the cluster to see if the vent plug is leaking or if its missing, and inspect the check valve to see if its passing both ways.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Next...
    My VTS issue.... it seems the vts position sensor is wonky on my unit.... how to fix this....

Tazmool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cluster-back1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	455375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cluster-back2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	455376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cluster-back3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	455377  

Thread Information