Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    i tried a check valve once and it did not work on a "return style system" IE aftermarket fuel rail

RIVA setup uses a "Dead head" style return which is not the best, i still think check valve would not work

moral of story is the OP fuel system is acting correctly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by samphysicsman View Post
    @splishsplash and @1tommygunner1927 - I see exactly what you guys are saying. The pump primes up to about 58, but immediately drops back down to 0 if I don't try to turn the engine over. It'll rise to 58, hold for maybe 2-3 seconds, then drop. Should it rise to 58 and stay there, even if I pull the key off?

Bad rrfpr? Bad fuel pump? I'm half tempted to replace both, just in case

Before replacing parts, inspect the fuel lines inside the tank. It only costs Time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    i tried a check valve once and it did not work on a "return style system" IE aftermarket fuel rail

RIVA setup uses a "Dead head" style return which is not the best, i still think check valve would not work

moral of story is the OP fuel system is acting correctly
    I didnt really like the riva system either, best way is to run it after the fuel rail and block the 3rd port. Mine always bleeds the gas out but it primes from 0 to 43 psi really quick. My guess is that the tune and cam arent getting along, is that a stage 3 Eastside cam on a standard jp tune?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by connorrxp View Post
    I didnt really like the riva system either, best way is to run it after the fuel rail and block the 3rd port. Mine always bleeds the gas out but it primes from 0 to 43 psi really quick. My guess is that the tune and cam arent getting along, is that a stage 3 Eastside cam on a standard jp tune?
    that's the correct way for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by connorrxp View Post
    Yes, it is a stage 3 Eastside cam with a standard JP 9200 tune.

At first, it was actually surging RPMs - 6000 and cut 2000, 6k to 2k, and repeat. I thought it might have been an intercooler or injector problem until I took it out to get it to the launch and noticed that I couldn't even hit 20mph. That's when I noticed my fuel pressure was hella low.

So here's the moral of the story... It was surging RPMs for a while, then that disappeared and it would only hit maybe 75mph (8400rpm or so). Tried a quick 1/2oz of Biobor EB and ran another 10 minutes at varying speeds. Sounded sluggish and sounded like it was running rich. A couple hours later it wouldn't even hit 20mph, which is when I pulled it out of the water and pulled the fuel system apart.

Injectors were ultrasonic cleaned and flow tested. Riva RRFPR looked corroded, but Brian @ Riva Racing said it probably wouldn't affect the performance to this degree. Fuel lines inside the fuel pump module all look OK. Wiring all looks OK, no corrosion or anything.

Could the low RPM be a slipping supercharger? Boost leak may be the cause of the RPM surge?

Too many damn issues to diagnose at the same time...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by samphysicsman View Post
    Yes, it is a stage 3 Eastside cam with a standard JP 9200 tune.

At first, it was actually surging RPMs - 6000 and cut 2000, 6k to 2k, and repeat. I thought it might have been an intercooler or injector problem until I took it out to get it to the launch and noticed that I couldn't even hit 20mph. That's when I noticed my fuel pressure was hella low.

So here's the moral of the story... It was surging RPMs for a while, then that disappeared and it would only hit maybe 75mph (8400rpm or so). Tried a quick 1/2oz of Biobor EB and ran another 10 minutes at varying speeds. Sounded sluggish and sounded like it was running rich. A couple hours later it wouldn't even hit 20mph, which is when I pulled it out of the water and pulled the fuel system apart.

Injectors were ultrasonic cleaned and flow tested. Riva RRFPR looked corroded, but Brian @ Riva Racing said it probably wouldn't affect the performance to this degree. Fuel lines inside the fuel pump module all look OK. Wiring all looks OK, no corrosion or anything.

Could the low RPM be a slipping supercharger? Boost leak may be the cause of the RPM surge?

Too many damn issues to diagnose at the same time...
    Ditch the cam and tune, Completely mismatched IMO. Go with riva cam and tune, support alone from riva will be worth the effort.

7. +1 by:

+1
    That cam is a difficult to dial in, and not properly dialed in throws all sorts of low voltage issues. However.... properly dialed in that cam is a BEAST!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    That cam is a difficult to dial in, and not properly dialed in throws all sorts of low voltage issues. However.... properly dialed in that cam is a BEAST!!
    RIVA cam is still the largest so ive heard

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    RIVA cam is still the largest so ive heard
    UPDATE... All the lines inside the fuel pump mechanism (inside the tank) are in surprisingly good shape. Everything looked just fine, except for a crack in the fuel pump housing!

The 'nipple' at the top of the pump (supply) was cracked. Must have been installed incorrectly. Anyone have any good sources for a new fuel pump? Riva is asking $300 for the whole kit.

New fuel filter was ordered, too.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    can you just break the nipple off and run a AN bulkhead fitting?

Sean

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information