Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Reduce hand fatigue and handle bar vibration

Last time out at Lake Tahoe, my throttle thumb pretty much went numb. Arm pump was also an issue. After about 45 minutes I had to stop and shake it off before continuing. I'm sure there are different ways to approach this and hoped folks might be able to help guide me in the right direction.

I've seen the finger throttle adapters, but I'm afraid it would be counter intuitive because we also mountain bike a lot and associate a lever with a brake. I can imagine being tired and messing up while running the ski onto the trailer at a busy ramp

I can try bike grips with added rubber to absorb some of the vibration. I've done this with bike grips and it helps. There are also weights that are added to the ends of motorcycle bars for this purpose, but never tried them. Some fill their bars with silicon to reduce vibration, but haven't tried this method either.

Has anyone changed the handlebars to something like Riva's to reduce vibration and associated arm pump?
    https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_1_284_33 0&products_id=2043

Edit: Looks like these need an aftermarket steering system, so won't work on my ski....

Last edited by Blowout; 09-25-2019 at 07:27 PM.

+1
    Convert it to a finger and never look back, I cycle and ride a bike with no issues at all.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I swapped mine to finger a few years back for the same issue you are having. I find it just moves from a numb thumb to numb fingers. Although you can swap between 1, 2 or 3 fingers.

Most of the rest of the drivers who use the ski don't like the finger. I might swap back next year.

+1
    Your thumb is far stronger and durable than fingers, Thumb throttle is far more safe and less fatique prone.
    Handle bar vibration? Have you had your engine alignment checked, mounts checked, there should not be that much vibration in the bars.
    I can drive for hours on the thumb throttle with no issues , (finger, Im done in 30 min and so is most everyone else with arm and finger cramps).
    I plan to convert my 800SXR to thumb, as you have to actually hang on to a standup, 2 fingers does not cut it on one.

+1
    I also experience occasional numbness while riding (ski and bike) but my whole hand is affected. I find it worse when my daughter is riding with me and I theorize that's because I don't change my body position as much. I've never considered modifying the machine-I've just accepted that this is an occasional issue that I have to work through.

+1
    Ok girls.....time for a ski upgrade with cruise control!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Ok girls.....time for a ski upgrade with cruise control!
    only doo that has it is the GTX. F BRP for not including it in the T-X. You pay top dollar and they still leave out options.

+1
    I found this while checking out snowmobile threads for solutions since they have a similar throttle setup and thumb numbness issues. It has an ergonomic grip similar to Ergon grips that are used on bikes.
    http://www.inoveli.com/ergonomics-technology

We also pull a wakeboarder and run at 15 - 18mph for an extended time. The throttle position has the thumb pretty high and probably starts the cramping and increases arm pump.

I had a cruise control on a street bike years ago. It was a device that you could lock the twist grip throttle in position and thumb pressure was required to maintain the lock. Once thumb pressure was off, so was the throttle. I didn't like or use it much.

The ski purrs like a kitten, but this last time out the water wasn't smooth and had to grip harder than usual... probably wore out the hands faster.

Edit to add: Cost of the Inoveli throttle grips is about $280 at today's exchange rate.

Last edited by Blowout; 09-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.

+1
    I love the Web throttle over the finger throttle any day. My finger gets tired and I can't hold onto the grip nearly as well. I must be in the minority because the industry went to a finger throttle.
    A true thumb throttle is like the old Kawasakis that you placed the pad of your thumb on. The old Sea Doo throttle was operated by the web between your thumb and index finger. They were the best.

+1
    Take 1 spring off the throttle body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information