Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1

    2011 Ultra 300 Cylinder Head Rebuild

    My ski dropped an exhaust valve and the head has two cracks. I decided to buy a new head. Should I just put OEM valves and springs back in or is the Riva valve train upgrade a better choice.
    I know its not worth fixing it but; I like the ski. I have all winter!!


  2. #2
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,794
    +1
    361
    Checkout ape race parts. They make great parts and are probably less than riva.

    Sean

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,508
    +1
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by rrt898 View Post
    My ski dropped an exhaust valve and the head has two cracks. I decided to buy a new head. Should I just put OEM valves and springs back in or is the Riva valve train upgrade a better choice.
    I know its not worth fixing it but; I like the ski. I have all winter!!
    It Depends why the head dropped a valve............
    If its because the valve was rust pitted due to owner neglect...... then aftermarket valves wont fix that.
    Is it stock or moddified ?

    how many hours on the ski/u had it from new

    all these factors make a big difference to the answer!!

    Waz

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rrt898 View Post
    My ski dropped an exhaust valve and the head has two cracks. I decided to buy a new head. Should I just put OEM valves and springs back in or is the Riva valve train upgrade a better choice.
    I know its not worth fixing it but; I like the ski. I have all winter!!

    I was in a similar situation late last year after melting a piston/ruining the head. I sent the bad head up to Kawi Performance in NY. They salvaged the good valves etc and put them in a new blank head complete with the upgraded springs etc. Saved some cash by not having to buy every single part to put in blank. Ask for Steve, he has been very helpful the whole time I've been reassembling the engine.

    http://www.kawiperformance.com

  6. +1 by:


  7. #5
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    It Depends why the head dropped a valve............
    If its because the valve was rust pitted due to owner neglect...... then aftermarket valves wont fix that.
    Is it stock or moddified ?

    how many hours on the ski/u had it from new

    all these factors make a big difference to the answer!!

    Waz
    I have 100 hours and the ski isn't neglected in anyway. That's why I am going to fix it. I don't have an answer why I dropped a valve. The mechanic said the head looks like a manufacturer defect. The lower end is fine and so are my cams and 15 valves. I was just curious if it would be better with other parts than OEM.

  8. #6
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1
    Thanks for the help

  9. #7
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranofwaterfell View Post
    I was in a similar situation late last year after melting a piston/ruining the head. I sent the bad head up to Kawi Performance in NY. They salvaged the good valves etc and put them in a new blank head complete with the upgraded springs etc. Saved some cash by not having to buy every single part to put in blank. Ask for Steve, he has been very helpful the whole time I've been reassembling the engine.

    http://www.kawiperformance.com

    Thank you for the help

  10. #8
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Checkout ape race parts. They make great parts and are probably less than riva.

    Sean

    Thank you

  11. #9
    Hurricane1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gulf of Mexico
    Posts
    1,118
    +1
    117
    Did it damage the piston?
    Usually, it takes the piston out as well.....

    Dave

  12. #10
    rrt898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    59
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    Did it damage the piston?
    Usually, it takes the piston out as well.....

    Dave
    Luckily, it did not. All pistons are fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Scottkrissinger

Similar Threads

  1. WTB 2011 Ultra 300 Cylinder Head
    By rrt898 in forum Kawasaki Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2019, 07:55 PM
  2. SOLD 2011 VX110 needs head rebuild or swap
    By macGruber in forum Yamaha 4 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 11:19 AM
  3. 2011-12 ultra 300 ECU work correctly on a 2013 ultra 300?
    By jetdave56 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 03:37 AM
  4. 2011 Ultra 300 vs 2013 Ultra 300 any difference in models
    By pierstar in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM
  5. Took my new 2011 STX-15F and 2011 Ultra 300 LX out for the first time this year
    By Fiftydriver in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •