Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    For years I never had an issue with mold. Not once. I never shrink wrap but rather store indoors.

last year....mold on one machine and most the other. Don’t know why. Must have been wet/damp when I put the cover on it.

i probably should have put some type of water desiccant under the seat this year. Maybe I still will if I can get to the machine still.
    Sometimes the seat foam is wet. Foam can trap moisture for a long time, even when in a 'dry' location.

Standing the seat vertically can help the water drain, but even then it will dry slowly inside the foam.

Storing with the seat supported slightly open can allow ventilation (wood stick across the seat opening, or similar finger width gap).

With Yamaha FX and VX/GP you can remove the rear storage bucket, then prop the rear seat up a little. Then main seat can then stay latched in place.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I also make sure there is no liquid water hiding under the engine or behind the mid-wall

+1
    You know your right I forget to strip the ski of the portable stuff (trays, etc) like I did with by old ski. I could leave the seat off, and store it inside. Than maybe span the the seat area with Styrofoam or PVC board for the wrap, if necessary. I dunno. The dealer ski winterization caused me checkoff the ski early and move to other winterization projects....

+1
    I dont think it would be pointless to run antifreeze through the engine when winterizing. One, it would help displace any remaining water in the water box. So any fluid remaining in the water box after some blips of the throttle would be antifreeze instead of water.

Also as far as the water jackets in the engine block, do they 100% all drain out or are we speculating that they do? If there are any low points, that section could still retain water even tho the majority appears to drain out. I'm not sure of the exact flow path of the jackets so I dont know for sure. But for peace of mind and $5 worth of antifreeze I will run it through.

+1
    The water jackets have to drain. They are at a high point and there is nothing to hold the water back. Next year I am going to use a boroscope and see what I can. Also AF won’t be able to get to the block anyway unless you use pressure. So many people just seem to gravity feed it.

As to the water box, I am not sure it would matter if it were to freeze anyway. But again....boroscope next year

I have never used AF. Am I lucky? Maybe...but we see sub zero weather here all winter.

+1
    I used a cheap aquarium pump for the antifreeze and clamped off the hose running from the strainer in the pump to direct the flow to the engine. Worked fairly well. For the water box, I was thinking more along the lines of not leaving sitting water in there for any evaporation/corrosion

+1
    All this talk makes me want to go launch my ski and ride it. Cant wait to see what speeds I can get with 45 degree water and 50 degree ambient.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information