Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SAB View Post
    .... is there a Yamaha PWC spec or bulletin for winterization? ... OEM requirements.
    There is your Yamaha owner's manual, and the Yamaha shop service manual for your model. They will generally agree with each other. The service manual may have more detail.

Many of us are interested in maximizing reliable longevity of our watercraft, well beyond the first couple of years where Yamaha may be more focused on the initial warranty period. Hence our 'extra' efforts.

Note that salt water operation prompts additional care and is usually mentioned in the service manual, if not the owners manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    Anyone ever used this? I picked up a can and planning to try it. Interesting product.

Basically, you are “fogging” the water cooling system. Once you are done digging the cylinders, you screw the hose in the flush line, push the button and foam is pushed into the cooling system until is comes out the exhaust. They then recommend turning the engine over.....not running the engine.....

The product contain corrosion inhibitors and antifreeze protection. Plus claims to displace water.

The “foam” is not permanent of course. M

i have never seen this stuff before.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/winte...-pro--16788788Looks like the product was initially created and intended for (big) outboard engines, and including PWC engines was an afterthought.

Product coming out the exhaust may not necessarily be indicative that the product has penetrated the entire engine water jacket. I supposed if the product flow and pressure is high enough?
    Winterize It Pro is the first winterizing and protective storage solution in an aerosol can designed to specifically target your powerhead cooling system. It contains corrosion inhibitors, conditioners and a non-toxic antifreeze. It protects vital cooling ports from freezing and also puts a protective thin film barrier that significantly reduces the effects of corrosion in your cooling ports during storage. It works only on outboards and personal watercraft that are equipped with the factory built in flush system. One can typically protects outboards up to 300 horsepower. When you see the fluid from Winterize It Pro exit your exhaust, you know that the product has fully circulated through the cooling ports. Simple and easy to do.

Key Features

Targets powerhead cooling systems
    Contains corrosion inhibitors, conditioners and a non-toxic antifreeze
    Creates a protective thin film barrier, reducing corrosion in cooling ports
    Protective storage solution in an aerosol can
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16788788_1500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	454507

+1
    That is correct. But neither is gravity filling antifreeze either.

i am going to try this stuff this weekend and let you know. It is under pressure. And if I turn the motor and more comes out then I will know.

i will try and take a video.

+1
    ... if I turn the motor and more comes out then I will know.
    Know what?

Certainly some of the pressurized stuff can flow into the exhaust and waterbox. Running the engine afterwards would burp the stuff out the waterbox and hull exhaust.

The Yamaha engine water jacket is self-draining, So any liquid in the water jacket will quickly drain back out the jet pump inlet screen and possibly also from the engine cooling water exit fitting in the transom plate. No way to really know how much product reached the engine water jacket nor how completely it was filled.

I do not see a problem with using the product. Just not seeing much upside.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    . . . .
    I do not see a problem with using the product. Just not seeing much upside.
    My stance as well.

. . . .

i am going to try this stuff {Winterize It Pro} this weekend and let you know. It is under pressure. And if I turn the motor and more comes out then I will know.

i will try and take a video.
    Never used that product myself, but I'd have to assume not only under pressure but also with only 316ml of volume, it would likely foam (expand) into the system to have a good chance at reaching every nook and cranny. I would summerize it as "wet air blast" evacuation treatment, which can also purge existing coolant (if any) left behind. And seeing it blast out the coolant pissers/tells would indeed be reassuring of that.
    At some point afterwords, the foam will dissolve away, and being that it was from a mere 316ml, I'd say you would not see much more come out.
    Two common areas in the Yamaha where residual coolant might remain:
    1) the waterbox/waterlock - yet MOST of the liquids should be blown out by blipping the throttle prior, any remaining, these being large open cavities allow the freezing liquids to expand if needed.
    2) the coolant supply line from the jet pump - it's not perfectly horizontally routed forward, so in some of the lowest dips, there might be a 1/2 oz stagnate. Yet being a rubber hose, once again the expansion-risk is mitigated.

+1
    Can you think of a single situation where someone had a freeze problem with a Waverunner? I can’t.

+1
    Used the spray product today....for kicks.

Before I did so, I tilted the machine up....maybe a quart of water cane out. Ran it. Tapped the throttle a few times.

Once i fogged the engine, I used the spray. It’s under a fair amount of pressure and could hear it going through the system. I used one can and never saw any product coming out anywhere...even after turning the motor over a few times with the plugs pulled.

as such, did it really do anything? Not likely. I am assuming that unless water comes out the pisser it never really reached the cooling jacket.

+1
    Hey, can someone describe a water flow “diagram” for me with where cooling water goes when using the hose fitting?

+1
    Hey, can someone describe a water flow “diagram” for me with where cooling water goes when using the hose fitting?
    I do not have the diagram handy, but I can provide some info.

The main water exit for the engine is beside the jet pump, going through the transom plate. The thumb sized hole is visible if you look forward along the right side of the jet pump, above where the steering cable exits the hull.

On SVHO the right side two water exits (pissers) are from the intercooler. The intercooler water feed comes from the X fitting in the water feed hose, just after the flush water feed enters the X fitting.

The single pisser on left side of the hull is after the oil cooler. This is supplied from the X fitting and then the T fitting that feeds the exhaust housing near the mid-wall.

The X fitting is directly supplied from the hose flush garden hose and from the jet pump. The two water flows are simply Y’ed together inside the X fitting, no valves. The water flow is then immediately split by the two exit fittings in the X connector. One exit feeds the intercooler directly. The other X fitting exit feeds everything else.

+1
    Ok...so under low pressure it all just goes to the exhaust.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information