Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Not that my 2 cents are worth more than 2 pennies ... but I agree with WaterDR, no need/requirement cycle anti-freeze through the Yami skis. As long as the system is still OEM (no added filter/strainers, etc ...) the water will gravity-drain away.
    Only "over-kill" things I would do to prep for freezing conditions, would be to run a few blasts of compressed-air into the coolant system (hint: the exhaust jacket hose-bib to voltage reg/rec coolant line would be an ideal location to tap that), and wet-vac out the waterbox via removal the top discharge hose.

Good luck, hope you get all the water out.

+1
    It doesn’t cost me much to run a few gallons of pink or purple rv antifreeze through the ski with a sump pump.

That way I’m sure. Cheap piece of mind for a very expensive machine.

+1
    You make a good point. It doesn’t hurt anything to use it.

With my SVHO I assume I can just add a gallon or so via a funnel and gravity right to the flush line with the engine running.

Then fog it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post

With my SVHO I assume I can just add a gallon or so via a funnel and gravity right to the flush line with the engine running.

Then fog it.
    The Yamaha flush system depends on water pressure. Gravity feed is not enough. The flush feed goes into an X fitting (or Y fitting on non-supercharged models) spliced into the water feed from the jet pump.

The garden hose water flow forces itself to flow forwards to the engine. Some of the garden hose water does reverse and simply dump out of the jet pump water inlet screen.

If the water pressure is too low then little or none of the liquid may actually reach the engine, it simply flows rewards and out the jet pump.

On my own SVHO watercraft I added an inline ball valve. I call it a tow valve since I can turn off all water feed from the jet pump, preventing water from flowing into the engine or anywhere else while being towed.

Since my tow valve is installed before the X fitting, there is no rearward flow when using the garden hose flush fitting, all of the supplied water goes forward to the engine. *

I turn off the tow valve when flushing the engine with salt-away, then turn it back on immediately afterwards to allow the engine water jacket to drain.

I suppose a tow valve could also allow you to push anti-freeze towards the engine using gravity feed. It is not clear to me whether there would be enough pressure and flow to force the liquid into the upper portions of the engine water jacket.

* Since the intercooler water is also supplied from the X fitting, a significant portion of the anti-freeze liquid can bypass the engine and exit via the intercooler.

How would you fog your SVHO engine? Just spray into the spark plug holes?

+1
    That was my plan. Is that ok?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    . . . .
    I suppose a tow valve could also allow you to push anti-freeze towards the engine using gravity feed. It is not clear to me whether there would be enough pressure and flow to force the liquid into the upper portions of the engine water jacket.
    . . . .

This is exactly why I’m in the camp that anti-freeze treatment not being required. OEM craft, aka no tow valve mods, the craft coolant system is not conducive to successfully and confidently administer anti-freeze to all areas within the system.

Now for those non-OEM and wanting a bit of over-kill margin . . . I think the tow-valve mention above might be the best mod to be successful. That said, I still think more mods would be needed. For example, shut the tow valve, and add a "T" tap to the hose that connects the reg/rectifier to the upper exhaust manifold -- this would be the new antifreeze injection location. Either via an electric pump, or garden weed pump sprayer, adapt this to the new T tap and inject coolant with positive force. Should only take a liter or two, as not to flood the waterbox up the exhaust – if non-running engine.

+1
    WaterDr - got one free 19 FX SVHO dealer winterization w/ purchase ($325 value per website). I'll be asking the same Q's your asking next year (saving this thread). When I asked the dealer (girl at the desk) to provide me the battery after they winterize she looked at me strange and said we don't normally do that. I guess they leave the disconnected batteries onboard? No battery tender? I refuse to remove the waverunner seat this year (I have that right for the 14K). Also, don't forget the Sta-Bil, and the oil change. I got the oil extractor K447 recommended for next year and plus fancy Leslie oil filter wrenches to add the 2 I already own.

I've never shrunk wrapped my old Seadoo but I think I do it for this one with the Yamaha cover off ($12/foot). I reuse my 22' boat shrink wrap (get 3 years out of them) and hope hope to do the same with the waverunner shrink wrap.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SAB View Post
    ... 2019 FX SVHO dealer winterization w/ purchase ...

... I refuse to remove the waverunner seat this year (I have that right ...
    The person most invested and most interested in the longevity and reliability of your new watercraft is yourself.

The dealer service staff are (presumably) professionals, but they are working through a lot of watercraft. Every day. There is a financial incentive to streamline their efforts and minimize their time/cost per watercraft.

You may notice (and care about) things that might escape the dealer staff, or which they feel is not worth their time to check on/for.

+1
    K447 - Normally I would totally agree but I have my reasons coming from SeaDoo high maintenance side of the house since 2002.

BTW- I also protect the trailers with contractor bags and duct tape... the covered trailer equipment appears ready to go in the spring

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information