97 sltx 1050 piston burned up

Hey all, I just purchased a very clean well taken care of 1050 for $75. Has 33 hours on the gauge and looks like its brand new. Problem is the middle piston is just trashed. (Hopefully the pictures attach from my phone. Front and back cylinders both have 150psi compression and look really good when I pulled the domes. What do you folks think about a good used piston and jug for the middle cylinder? I cant see much of a need to rebuild the whole top end when the other 2 seem fine. Of course I'll dive into why the middle cylinder ran lean and melted the piston but I suspect that's the grey fuel lines turning green and clogging that carb. (Ps I could be in the market for some good used parts ) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190919_111006.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	453973

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190919_111024.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	453974
    Last edited by Cummins05; 09-19-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Photo change

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cummins05 View Post
    Hmm, any potential for metal debris in the crankcase?

Are the piston rings intact?

Everything in that very clean looking machine is twenty two years old, including all the rubber seals, hoses, etc.
    I would suggest inspecting everything (always a good idea anyways).
    And consider replacing any rubber seals, etc that may simply have dried out or hardened from age.

Clean the fuel tank inside and replace all fuel hoses, OEM fuel filter, etc. You want the fuel system to be 100% good from tank to carbs.

You do make a good point about the metal being in the bottom end, I sort of figured it went out the exhaust but there is really only one way to tell for sure.

It just recently blew up, the guy I got it from was the original owner and he said his son ran it out of gas and this was the result. That doesn't make any sense to me but I guess it's possible. I remember reading about a better fuel pump, 1 in 3 out instead of 1 in 1 out and the lines splitting after the pump so I'll probably look into that as well. At this point I think I'll hold onto it for a winter project. Also it still has the problematic grey fuel lines on it and that could very easily be the reason for smoking a cylinder to begin with. I need to tear the motor down I rekon and replace seals and gaskets that way its reliable for a long time

+1
    The 97 1050's used 2 different heads on the same engine.
    What are the part #'s on the heads and which cylinder removed from.

When running out of gas the fuel pick up will start sucking air. Those carbs are set up with the center cylinder getting fuel last. I'd imagine it would have to last for a bit of time or a bunch of times.

It's the center piston and like I said the other 2 have 150psi compression. It appears as though it might have been rebuilt as there is a 1+ stamped on the top of the cylinders and there are elko pistons in it which arent factor. I could also clearly read victor on several of the gaskets. As near as I can measure it's still a stock bore but I'll take it into work and use a telescope gauge on the good jug to be sure. I am still considering putting a good used jug and piston in the center and calling it good to go with a top end gasket set. The last three of the cylinder part number is 009 and my pistons have the hole in the skirt so I assume all this needs to be the same. If anyone has a good jug I am interested. Something tells me this is some of SBT's rebuild work but I have no clue. Any and all help is appreciated.

+1
    I’m no expert but that doesn’t look like lean burn to me. It looks as if something went though it. I would look very closely at the bottom rod bearing and crank bearings in that cylinder.
    Last edited by Mockingee; 09-21-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cummins05 View Post
    ... I remember reading about a better fuel pump, 1 in 3 out instead of 1 in 1 out and the lines splitting after the pump ...
    That would be for the blue Fuji engines, not the red engines.

+1
    Polaris used a lower compression head in the center cylinder, if heads are swapped the compression will be higher and burn up a center cylinder. You are asking for help-I am trying to give it.

As far as I know, Polaris pistons were the only ones that had the hole in the side. For the first few years oversized pistons were sold with the hole, at some point that also stopped.

I have a 2 new 009 cylinders with matching Polaris pistons.

Thread Information