Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    708
    +1
    67

    300 Head Gasket Failures?

    I have an 18 RXP 300 with 45 hours. I noticed a very small amount of residue in the hull in front of my engine. I thought it might be an oil drip from my catch can, but it was pink in color. I looked around and found a very small amount of dried residue at the junction of the head/block on the front of the engine. I thought that it might be some sealant and wiped it off, but it has now reappeared twice. I continued to deny that it was the head gasket because my coolant level never changed in the tank even after several hours of riding. Unfortunately, the level has now dropped slightly. There is no sign of water in the oil and the engine runs normally.

    Has anyone experienced this problem before? I haven't checked any of the cooling lines yet as the residue on the engine has created tunnel vision.

    It is under warranty, but I was hoping not to have some guy at the dealership tear my engine apart...……


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    I have a 2016 GTX 300 with around 70 hrs and had to add a little coolant this summer as it was just below the line in the reservoir. It seems to have gone down some since I’ve added it. I’ve looked all over and cant see any signs of leaks from any hoses. I’ve checked oil as well and no signs of it their either. I do notice at the front of the engine where the head meets the block there is some reddish residue in each corner. Could that be coolant or just some sort of gasket maker they apply to head gasket at the factory? It’s a hard reddish residue. My warranty is up at the end of the year and our season here in the North Atlantic is pretty much finished so was wondering if this is something i should drag to the dealer to get them to look at it or nothin at all.

  3. #3
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    708
    +1
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastlifestyle View Post
    I have a 2016 GTX 300 with around 70 hrs and had to add a little coolant this summer as it was just below the line in the reservoir. It seems to have gone down some since I’ve added it. I’ve looked all over and cant see any signs of leaks from any hoses. I’ve checked oil as well and no signs of it their either. I do notice at the front of the engine where the head meets the block there is some reddish residue in each corner. Could that be coolant or just some sort of gasket maker they apply to head gasket at the factory? It’s a hard reddish residue. My warranty is up at the end of the year and our season here in the North Atlantic is pretty much finished so was wondering if this is something i should drag to the dealer to get them to look at it or nothin at all.
    You are seeing my exact findings. I thought the residue on the protruding gasket was hopefully sealant, but it always reappears after wiping it off. I think that it a very slow coolant leak. You need to start the paper trail by having the dealer perform a leak down test. There is a special coolant tank cap that allows pressure to be introduced to the cooling system including the engine. You should lose no pressure during the test. If you do, try some soapy water around suspected areas. Get this done before your warranty expires.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    That’s what i was thinking. I hate to take it to a dealer but i better know either way before warranty runs out at the end of the year. I rode it about 20hrs this summer and the coolant reservoir went down about half an inch. I’ll have them maybe check out supercharger wheel as well as i think it has the original as I didn’t want them tearing apart the supercharger on a new ski. I wasn’t sure how balanced they are after they install the new wheel. Anything else i should have looked at before warranty runs out? I had planned on getting a new one maybe next year but damn the new colours for the GTX Ltd are boring.

  5. #5
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    708
    +1
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastlifestyle View Post
    That’s what i was thinking. I hate to take it to a dealer but i better know either way before warranty runs out at the end of the year. I rode it about 20hrs this summer and the coolant reservoir went down about half an inch. I’ll have them maybe check out supercharger wheel as well as i think it has the original as I didn’t want them tearing apart the supercharger on a new ski. I wasn’t sure how balanced they are after they install the new wheel. Anything else i should have looked at before warranty runs out? I had planned on getting a new one maybe next year but damn the new colours for the GTX Ltd are boring.
    Even if you decide to get a new unit, your current GTX will be more valuable without a coolant leak. Better for you to get it fixed for free than for the problem to worsen (it will), and a new buyer to have to pay out of pocket.

  6. #6
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,052
    +1
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I have an 18 RXP 300 with 45 hours. I noticed a very small amount of residue in the hull in front of my engine. I thought it might be an oil drip from my catch can, but it was pink in color. I looked around and found a very small amount of dried residue at the junction of the head/block on the front of the engine. I thought that it might be some sealant and wiped it off, but it has now reappeared twice. I continued to deny that it was the head gasket because my coolant level never changed in the tank even after several hours of riding. Unfortunately, the level has now dropped slightly. There is no sign of water in the oil and the engine runs normally.



    Has anyone experienced this problem before? I haven't checked any of the cooling lines yet as the residue on the engine has created tunnel vision.

    It is under warranty, but I was hoping not to have some guy at the dealership tear my engine apart...……

    Many of us have blown a head gasket, modified and stock skis. Its not a big deal changing a HG, and a good time to upgrade the valve train and head bolts to studs. You could wait for the dealer to handle it, or you can and be back on the water in a day or two!

  7. #7
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    708
    +1
    67
    I pressure tested my closed circuit portion of the water jacket via the over flow tank at 13 psi. The pressure dropped to 11 psi in a hour, went to zero overnight. I used soapy water to test for leaks at the location of the residue, but could not produce any bubbles. I checked the test rig and found no leaks. I have no idea where the leak is, but I do lose coolant and none of it is in the oil via oil analysis.

    Any ideas where the leak could be?

  8. #8
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,679
    +1
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I pressure tested my closed circuit portion of the water jacket via the over flow tank at 13 psi. The pressure dropped to 11 psi in a hour, went to zero overnight. I used soapy water to test for leaks at the location of the residue, but could not produce any bubbles. I checked the test rig and found no leaks. I have no idea where the leak is, but I do lose coolant and none of it is in the oil via oil analysis.

    Any ideas where the leak could be?
    Remove the spark plugs and spin it over see if any of it comes out

  9. #9
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    708
    +1
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Remove the spark plugs and spin it over see if any of it comes out
    No coolant in the cylinders. I pulled the plugs and spun it over, no moisture and the plugs look good.
    Its getting late in the season and I would like to find the problem. I'll ride again this weekend and see if I can find any other clues.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 300 head gasket use on older 4 tec
    By SLASHER in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-03-2019, 08:28 AM
  2. 2008 seadoo 255 with 300 head gasket will it work better
    By alex p in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2019, 08:02 AM
  3. WTB - Parts ultra 300 head gasket New Jersey, New York
    By hotbutta in forum Kawasaki Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM
  4. 2012 Ultra 300 - Blown head gasket
    By tjdoyle999 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM
  5. Head gasket failures, input
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •