2008 RXPX blows out dipstick, something related to TOPS?

Hi all, last time I went out, our 08 RXPX ran a little rumbly around 4600rpm. I stayed out of the throttle for a bit but goosed it one more time to try and hear the noise again. Felt like something blew out/cleared up and then it ran fine the rest of the day. Got back to the ramp and found the dipstick had blown out. I'm assuming the pressure is what made it run poorly and that when it jettisoned the dipstick it could breathe and run fine again.

The TOPS valve is the vent valve on the side of the head, correct? Not familiar with the nomenclature. The tube running from the vent valve to the intake is clear. I took the vent valve off and shook it, the insides move freely. The metal gasket is still in the head.

What controls when this opens/closes? There are two connectors going to it, and I'm not sure if maybe the computer is telling it to be closed when it shouldn't or something. That's all I can figure, as mechanically the valve moves very easy.

I don't think it's bad rings/motor issue. It's a low hours ski and has lived a charmed life.

If anyone has any advise, wiring or service diagrams I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kanders View Post
    Hi all, last time I went out, our 08 RXPX ran a little rumbly around 4600rpm. I stayed out of the throttle for a bit but goosed it one more time to try and hear the noise again. Felt like something blew out/cleared up and then it ran fine the rest of the day. Got back to the ramp and found the dipstick had blown out. I'm assuming the pressure is what made it run poorly and that when it jettisoned the dipstick it could breathe and run fine again.

The TOPS valve is the vent valve on the side of the head, correct? Not familiar with the nomenclature. The tube running from the vent valve to the intake is clear. I took the vent valve off and shook it, the insides move freely. The metal gasket is still in the head.

What controls when this opens/closes? There are two connectors going to it, and I'm not sure if maybe the computer is telling it to be closed when it shouldn't or something. That's all I can figure, as mechanically the valve moves very easy.

I don't think it's bad rings/motor issue. It's a low hours ski and has lived a charmed life.

If anyone has any advise, wiring or service diagrams I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks much.
    Is the engine bay full of motor oil? You can easily test the Vent valve on the head. Compression okay?

Yes The motor is full of oil. How do you test the vent valve, aside from just shaking it and seeing that it moves freely?

+1
    Make sure it doesn't have the 05 and back motor in it...they dont have a vent hole like the later models and they tend to build up a lot of crankcase pressure

Thread Information