Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mhenry1282 View Post
    Got the grate off. Put the heat gun on it for a bit, then hooked a strap from the front of the grate pulling backwards, slowly. Started easing off. What kind of sealant is that? I have some 5100 from the boat outdrive. Can I use that or is there something better with the finish on this thing?
    The sealant is called "The Right Stuff", comes in a big tube at any auto parts store.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    5100 will be fine, just need an inch of it. outdrive sealant is pretty much the same stuff. Right stuff is a really handy product and can also be used

with some luck I'll be wrong about the threaded insert on the latest models and you'll be able to punch the bolt right thru but I suspect it's still there as the bolt would have just spun around and not broken off.

get a wrench on it on the inside and give it a turn, see of the bolt is turning also, with some luck and if the bolt isn't buggered it will come out thru the inside, if not you'll have to gate a good grip on the bolt, or cut a groove in it to hold it while you get the nut off then spin the broken bolt out.

don't forget to order the replacement bolt

Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't having good luck drilling it for an easy out, so I undid a few hoses to get at it from the top side. The bolt was sheared almost flush with the nut plate, there was no grabbing it from the bottom side. Got some vice grips on, then wiggled it back and forth, about 1/8th of a turn at the most, for a while to break the lock tite loose. Then stood there with a set of pliers backing it out at 1/8th turn. Took a while and had a sore hand, but got it out without any other damage.

Couldn't get a matching stainless bolt at any local hardware places, luckily the sea doo dealer had one for about $2. Slathered some right stuff on there, then bolted it back together. There should be a damn warning sticker for that jamb nut, lol!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps a sticky in the how to section is in order for this particular bear trap since you are not the first to step into it

Congrats on getting it out

Drilling something like that takes considerable skill given the location and an expensive bit

The easy out would likely have broken any way

Getting it out without needing stitches give you the rank of machinist mate second class in the New Mexico pwc navy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mhenry1282 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't having good luck drilling it for an easy out, so I undid a few hoses to get at it from the top side. The bolt was sheared almost flush with the nut plate, there was no grabbing it from the bottom side. Got some vice grips on, then wiggled it back and forth, about 1/8th of a turn at the most, for a while to break the lock tite loose. Then stood there with a set of pliers backing it out at 1/8th turn. Took a while and had a sore hand, but got it out without any other damage.

Couldn't get a matching stainless bolt at any local hardware places, luckily the sea doo dealer had one for about $2. Slathered some right stuff on there, then bolted it back together. There should be a damn warning sticker for that jamb nut, lol!
    Next time you have a issue like that its easier to just pull the pump to clear debris. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes to pull the pump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information