polaris slt 700 gas gauge issue

Looking for some help with this. I have a 700 slt with a gas gauge that does not work. I removed the sending unit from the tank and dissassembled it. Looked good magnet in place wires look good. I had my box open to install a new stator so checking was easy. I have disconnected the wires pink / black from the board. Attached the ohm meter and checked the unit 38 full and 230 empty. Slides good and reads all the way. I put the unit back in the tank and read as I lowered it. Nothing at all. The slide raises but no reading changes. checked over and over but the same thing. I have a second sending unit from a slth 700 that is the same type but longer. It reads in or out of the tank just fine. The kicker here is if I lower my unit into a bucket of water it reads fine. I did this only because I have a machine that mixes fuel now. No oil injection. Seemed stupid that the resistance of the fuel / oil would effect the sender but I was struggling for some kind of answer.I am going to remove the magnet from the SLTH unit and see if the magnet is just weak in my slt sender.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel float is supposed to float in gasoline. Water is denser than gasoline, so testing the float in water is not useful.

It is a common problem for the fuel float to no longer float in gasoline. Replace the float with new and the problem should correct itself. Replacement fuel floats can be found at www.watcon.com

Click my signature link for more information.

GOOD CALL.... I took the one out from the slth sender and swapped it. work great now. thanks.I will buy a new one from your link just so it's done right for next summer.

Thread Information