Considering buying a 08 Kawi 15f w 66 hrs, how good are these skis and evaluate deal

I am looking to upgrade out of the 2 stroke world into a 4 stroke. Found a fairly clean low hours 66 2008 Kawasaki 15f with trailer. My questions for the experts are

1. Any major reliability or problems areas with these skis? What all is needed for routine service outside of oil changes every year? How many hours can I expect to get out of a well maintained 15f?

2. I am probably going to be paying $4100 with trailer for the package. Does this seem like a good deal at the end of the season? Also it is a clean Texas ski never been in salt and always covered or stored inside.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Good reliable skis, only concern is that low of hours for its age, being stored improperly for many years can do a lot of damage to the engine and other parts tend to degrade from non use, ie hoses,cables,dampener, bearings etc.

For $3000 -$4000 more you can pick up brand new let overs around here.

To me it's a gamble at best

+1
    When is the last time that it was used? I'd be afraid of gum in the fuel system, especially with ethanol fuel. That is fixable, but it takes a lot of time.

Otherwise, I think the biggest problems are corrosion in the exhaust system, water getting into the wiring harness connectors (clean them and raise them off the bottom of the hull), and periodic maintenance of the jet pump. Valve clearance should be checked every 100 hours or so.

Are you willing to work on it, or would it have to go to a dealer?

I can do normal services and minor repairs but anything major will need a pro. It has been used several times this summer though. I was really looking for a nice Yamaha VX model due to everything I have heard about with their reliability but if you all think this si a decent deal then I could be tempted to jump on it.
    Last edited by TheGrayt1; 09-16-2019 at 05:19 PM.

+1
    Pricing depends on your location. Prices are typically lower at the end of the season, higher in the spring. $4100 sounds fair, but it never hurts to offer less.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    given the time of year, I'd start at $3500 ( bring cash all hundred and lay them out in front of the owner), unless shes cosmetically perfect and the console (a major cost item) looks good. A major tell about crap in the tank is an inoperative fuel gauge

I'd have it inspected by a shop that can take a compression check, and give it a good once over. If the seller balks, move on. Ask about service records if any

the smallest problem that needs a shop will make you wish you bought the leftover, with it's warranty

saw some 15's on ebay for $7500 last week.. You can drop close to a grand on a catastrophic jetpump failure, lots and lots more if it takes the engine out with it.

given the long life of a 15f with proper service, it's a better deal to go with a new one actually

if you get bored with it the late model will have a far better resale value too

Last summer a buddy and I bought a pair of 2008 15F's with right at 70 hours on them. We paid $9500 for the ski's, covers, and double trailer. They both have about 115 hours on them now and one runs flawlessly and the other one has developed a couple of issues. Top end is making noise, the cooling system doesn't always function correctly (doesn't shoot water out of the pisser at idle at times) and either the starter or starter solenoid is going out.

They are currently at the dealer getting checked out and winterized. As long as the engine gets a clean bill of health on the one, the other two issues are very minor IMO.

I think $4100 is a fair deal for that ski if it's in nice shape with a clean bill of health. Not everyone wants to spend the money on a brand new ski and when these are usually very reliable skis.

Well I can get him down to 3800 due to some scratches on the bottom of the hull from beaching but nothing major. Also it does come with a trailer as well. I am going to go check it out this weekend and see, but 3800 with trailer seems decent to me.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's right about book value..and book value means needs no major repair or showing signs of wear and tear

low retail is $ 3240 +250 for the trailer

all depends how much he wants to sell, and how much you want this ski

you're not considering end of season in this equation, but you indicate it's a creampuff mostly so it's neither a great nor bad deal, just average.

if the water test checks out, go for it.

Thread Information