Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many hours could a PWC do?

My old Landcruiser did over 1m Kms

Conversely

Im considering a 3 person 1100 FXHO or a Sea Doo 155

Which would get the most hours?

I presume the Yamaha easier to service yourself than the Sea Doo?

+1
    As with any PWC, it's all about the maintenance.

Properly maintained I think that any brand 4 stroke can easily exceed 500 hours.

SeaDoo designs their engines for 800+.

That is nuts but awesome. Is the seadoo hard to service yourself? Like the 1100cc FXHO seems to be just change the oil every 100km. Is there a time after the initial warranty that you need to take a PWC into a service centre, if you change the oil regularly etc? Or is it just change the oil n filter and she should be right? Id be stoked with 500 hours haha.

A TR1 aint gonna make it 800 hours. The old 110 horse MR1 would do it with maintenance.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    A TR1 ain't gonna make it 800 hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    ... it's all about the maintenance.

SeaDoo designs their engines for 800+.
    Links to supporting data please.

Yamaha has a large market in rental watercraft. How well is the TR-1 engine doing there?

Guys sorry what is a tr-1 and mr1? Im new to PWC's. Im looking at the older 1100cc FXHO due to its superior fuel economy than the newer 1800cc. Also they are cheap. People have told me to buy an FXHO over the VX cruiser, Im not sure why but anyhoo.

I was originally looking at a similar priced seadoo gtx 155 as they are similar in HP, I also believe the seadoo the best on fuel economy, but smaller fuel tank (but will be setting up for extra fuel anyway).

I guess it comes down to which is more reliable and outside oil changes after 100 hours, is there anything else that is scheduled for changing etc like on a car, parts are serviced every xyz period, or trans fluid evert xyz period. do PWCs have anything like that to worry about ?

As I will be up to 50km offshore I need reliability.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha uses each engine type across a range of models and years. Some years the same hull might have different engines depending on the details of the model name.

When talking about what engine to put into a conversion project, better to use the engine type rather than what hull/model the engine will come from.

TR-1 is a fairly new three cylinder engine from Yamaha, used on the smaller hull models.

The other Yamaha engines are all four cylinders, but not all of the same design.

MR-1 is an older engine type and was used on a range of hull models. IIRC (and I may be misremembering here) the MR-1 is derived from a motorcycle engine. It revs quite high (like 11,000 RPM) so there is a gearbox behind the engine to reduce the RPM into a more useful range for a jet pump.

At least one older Yamaha engine used four throttle bodies and some parts can be quite expensive to replace.

The 1.8 liter engine has been around since 2012? Overall has an excellent reputation for reliability and straightforward servicing. I do not know the actual fuel consumption numbers but operating at the same power output the non-supercharged 1.8 may drink about the same as the MR-1.

There is more to reliability and longevity than just the engine. Seadoo driveline uses a carbon ring system where the driveshaft exits the hull. It is important that the engine be properly aligned with the jet pump to avoid unwanted wear and potential failure of the carbon ring. Failure can result in rapid hull flooding.

Yamaha uses a more traditional driveshaft seal system. It does need periodic greasing (there is a grease zerk nipple) but generally the seal does not give much trouble.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Links to supporting data please.
    My quote about SeaDoo is from what I've been told by SeaDoo techs that work/ed at the SeaDoo test facility in Palm Bay, FL.

It was also specific about the engine...not sure what they expect for the other components.

My evidence is anecdotal at best. But locally I have seen three blown up TR1s running alongside MR1s with 3 times as many hours. Same maintenance, same riding conditions. One with bottom end problems, and two with something going on up top (massive blowby on one, and one had a slow leak someplace internally with the oil getting milked). I hate it too because I was hoping for the same reliability of the 110hp MR1 in a smaller lighter simpler package.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The 1.8 liter engine has been around since 2012? Overall has an excellent reputation for reliability and straightforward servicing. I do not know the actual fuel consumption numbers but operating at the same power output the non-supercharged 1.8 may drink about the same as the MR-1.
    Is the MR1 the 1100cc in the original FXHO and VX?

If so its the model I am looking at.

Fuel wise, from what I can see at 48kph cruise speed, the 1100cc does roughly 6.3km to litre where the 1800 only gets 4km to the litre. Its roughly 2/3 the range of the 1100cc.

Is the 1100cc much harder to work on than the 1800? Is it much less reliable?

Could I expect 400hours from the 1100cc if I service it myself regularly?

Id really like the Seadoo 155 simply for the ST3 hull, but the way people talk about maintenance it sounds like a nightmare to self maintain the PWC?

As a guide I do brakes, suspension, minor engine work, everything except strip the car engine apart to do a head gasket. I have that level of fairly mechanical. I think mechanical enough to learn to service a PWC.

The biggest laugh is the reason I never bought one is someone told me they had to be serviced every 10 hours and they are very unreliable. Im sure they were talking 2 strokes now.

So the price of used 4 strokes in good condition is really affordable versus a small RIB boat now. The boat is bigger, but its slower and I mainly fish 1 person. Sometimes I might take the GF, but I am told its possible to fish 2people on a 3 seater.

So I am thinking VX or FXHO 1100cc, around 2011 model, 100-150 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information