Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    OP, correct me if I am wrong but, if I understand you correctly, your #1 criteria in shopping for a pwc to fish off is, “expected life of the engine?” Second, followed by, ease of DIY serviceability? And you are only interested in buying used?

Not bad criteria (or priorities) and, while I have only been interested in buying new (so far, never say never, right? , my Top Priority has always been RELIABILITY followed closely by DIY serviceability. Only 2 seasons into this pwc endeavor thing, I still consider myself very much still a newbie or rookie or what have you. And, my mechanical abilities just ain’t, especially compared to so many of the members here (some of whom blow my mind!).

While looking for advice here and shopping for my family’s very first ski it was mentioned, “The best ski is the one that is always gonna start when you push it off the trailer or ramp and you are now floating in the water and you hit that button.” (And, when it eventually, invariably doesn’t start, how much can you get done without having to take it to a $tealer$hip?!)

The following and a buck-fitty will get you a big coffee somewhere so, fwiw:

I researched for a solid year, in addition to spending scores of hours scouring these forums, before buying our first ski, which wound up being a Yamaha with their 1.8 engine.

Additionally, we never intended or saw things playing out the way they have but, as fate or whatever you wanna call it would have it, we now own 1 of each (a Y, a K and a S).

And, at least once or twice a month I mutter, “Dang, if I could only own one of these skis, it’d be that Yamaha!” (We live smack on the water - skis are approx. 50 yards from our back porch, on ports floating on lakes surface - and took at least one, if not two or all of our skis out practically 3 or 4 days out of every week every this season hand that’s being conservative.)

I am now shifting into winterization mode (as I type this I am having last cup of java before I go out and change the oil in the SXR) and, again, out of servicing all 3 makes, I am looking forward to doing the Yamaha, the most. Everything VERY convenient ...

But, again, I am very much still a newbie to this sport and one without a whole lot of mechanical (and ZERO electronics) capability ... there are PROFESSIONAL LEVEL techs and even riders on these forums who will disagree but, end of day, put a gun to my head and make me choose just one, it’d be a Yamaha with that 1.8 (VXR!) in it ...

Taking myself, let alone a loved one, out on the ocean on a used ski is a whole nuther 12-pack between us man ... I am very skeptical of 99.9% of used anything, nowadays ...

Best o’ Success!

PS - sh*t, forgot to mention (my mind is already out in the garage, this morning! - I am toying with the idea of a FOURTH ski and, if I pull the trigger, it’s gonna be on a 2020 GP-1800 !!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearoSki View Post
    Is the MR1 the 1100cc in the original FXHO and VX?

If so its the model I am looking at.

Fuel wise, from what I can see at 48kph cruise speed, the 1100cc does roughly 6.3km to litre where the 1800 only gets 4km to the litre...

... I am told its possible to fish 2 people on a 3 seater.

So I am thinking VX or FXHO 1100cc, around 2011 model, 100-150 hours.
    If you want to have two people on the seat, both with elbow room to be fishing, the larger FX hull might be the better choice over the smaller VX hull. *

Note: the VX hull was redesigned for 2015 model year (VXS/VXR/etc) , but the old hull was still us3d on a couple of the base models in 2015

Why 2011? Trying to optimize for price vs age?

Link to the part throttle cruise fuel consumption comparisons for 1100 engine vs. 1.8 litre?

My advice is to choose the hull design first. Then the engine. Then look at what model years offer that combination. Yamaha has redesigned both the FX and the VX hulls, so check which hull generation of each model you are comparing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    But, again, I am very much still a newbie to this sport and one without a whole lot of mechanical (and ZERO electronics) capability ... there are PROFESSIONAL LEVEL techs and even riders on these forums who will disagree but, end of day, put a gun to my head and make me choose just one, it’d be a Yamaha with that 1.8 in it ...
    I am not a newbie, but I agree with you.
    We have owned six of the 4 stroke models, with a combined total of approx. 1,500 hours of riding time on the water here in Florida, and our Yamahas have been flawless. Hands down, the most reliable machines I have ever owned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information