1996 Polaris SLT700 looking for better acceleration

Hey guys, I have a 1996 polaris slt700 that my wife rides. It's in excellent condition and is stone cold reliable. The wife loves how stable it is, but we both want some better acceleration from it to make it more fun to ride. Any searches for the subject have returned nothing but suggestions to buy a faster ski or an engine swap, but I'm not not really considering that yet as this ski is loved in every other way. Are there some things that can be done for this ski that will improve acceleration? I'm thinking an impeller and an intake grate would probably be the best bang for the buck, but I don't know what pitch to look for. I'll consider any other suggestions!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

How much of an improvement are you looking for, acceleration wise?

This is generally on smooth water, correct?

How much money are you willing to spend?

How many running hours on the engine?

What are the cylinder compression numbers?

Do you have the option of using 91 or higher octane gasoline?

Both cylinders read 145psi, but I have no idea how many running hours are actually on the engine. When I bought it, the previous owner told me the top end was rebuilt and had been run for approximately 20 hours, and I had no reason to doubt that based off of how clean the whole machine is and I can see fresh green gaskets from the base of the cylinders and up, but I don't know if the crank has ever been serviced. I'm not sure of a good way to describe the acceleration I'm looking for, but compared to my other machines and all of the skis I have access to it is the slowest from a stop, but it tops out at 50mph, just as fast as by buddies brand new spark trixx. The pump seems to like to cavitate easily if conditions aren't perfect, and I also understand it's over 500lbs and has a huge hull. Running 93 octane won't be a problem as my superjet already requires it so that's what I always mix with. I would like to be able to pull out of my own wake after spinning it on its nose. If I spin it out now, it slows down to a crawl and doesn't pull very hard until it gets to a plane. Once it's moving is very responsive and fast enough to enjoy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dguysk01 View Post
    ... it is the slowest from a stop ... The pump seems to like to cavitate easily if conditions aren't perfect ...

... I would like to be able to pull out of my own wake after spinning it on its nose. If I spin it out now, it slows down to a crawl and doesn't pull very hard until it gets to a plane.

Once it's moving is very responsive and fast enough
    to enjoy
    What intake grate is on it currently?

Stock ride plate?

It sounds like there may be air leaks allowing the jet pump intake water flow to become aerated. Aerated water greatly reduces thrust. Especially when accelerating from low speeds.

Once the hull gets going (on plane, basically) the water going into the jet pump impeller changes from the suction at lower speeds to pressurized water, ahead of the impeller. Any air leaks become water leaks going out, hence no more aeration.

I suggest inspecting and resealing all the areas forward of the impeller. Especially where the ride plate seals to the hull, and the pump base.

Until you get the jet pump working properly from low speeds, engine power boosts and other tweaks won’t really help.

That makes perfect sense, I never thought about that. The ride plate and intake grate are both stock. Is the ride plate sealed with something like silicone or rtv? The skis I've installed ride plates and intake grates on weren't sealed at all to the hull so I never thought about it, but I've never worked on a polaris, only kawasaki stand ups. And in regards to the pump, would that be a sealant as well, or is there a gasket kit for that? Thank you for the advice!

+1
    Have a look at the link below for lots more info.

Polaris requires an air tight seal between the hull and the forward area of the ride plate and the jet pump related hardware.

I tend to prefer 3M 4200 Fast Cure sealant, but other sealants can also work. You want a marine grade sealant that is rated for direct water exposure.

You can also apply a thin bead of sealant on the front rim of the ‘wear ring’ before reinstalling the pump.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Ok that's very good to know, it appears there is a lot of good info on that site. I should probably rebuild the whole jet pump anyway, the stock impeller and wear ring look to have seen better days as well. What would be the ideal impeller for this machine if I'm not concerned with top speed? If I have it torn apart to reseal i might as well upgrade what i have apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dguysk01 View Post
    ... I should probably rebuild the whole jet pump anyway, the stock impeller and wear ring look to have seen better days as well.

Damaged impeller blades and excessive blade clearance to the wear ring can certainly impair acceleration.

While you have it apart I would suggest replacing the seals in the through-hull assembly. Worn shaft seals can also allow ventilation into the jet pump. If the bushings inside are worn replace them too.

Rubber seals can harden with age. Even if they are not leaking (much) right now, fresh seals provide some confidence that they will be good for years to come.

Same for the jet pump rebuild. Fresh seals and new bearings are not expensive. A jet pump bearing failure can not only damage many other parts, it can strand you out on the water. Use good quality bearings, they are the only thing connecting all the thrust from the impeller to the rest of the machine.

+1
    Those SLT's came with aluminum 5 vane pump stators that chip/crack pretty easy. Missing vanes will hurt accel. The stainless 6 vane will fit.
    Pretty sure stock impeller was a 4 blade, to me it felt like 4 blade emptied the pump too quickly, cane unhooked too easy.
    1997 and newer all used 12/17 3 blade made by Skat Trac ( 5131457
    IMPELLER,12-17DEG,SWIRL,3BLADE) http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

I saw this on e-bay, need to know if it's 148mm or the 92/93 model year 146mm. https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SLH...53.m1438.l2649

That will have alot of take off, more then the 12/17.

Mine is indeed the 4 blade, and that's pretty much what it feels like to me. If that impeller will work for this machine I'll pick it up, I would imagine it should given all the models that are listed in the title. Then the stainless 6 vane stator, what machine would that come off of?

Thread Information