Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

So these followed me home... 08 GTX and 08 RXTX

Long story short I ended up with an 08 GTX and RXTX, they lived a rough life before I aquired them with lots of neglect and salt. To make matters worse, I left them uncovered for a year... In Texas.

Now the time has come to make right by these Ski's.

I need to know what to check over before trying to start them other than the obvious. Current plans are as follows.

Oil change
    Spark plugs
    Rebuild/replace superchargers
    Pump bearings
    Check props
    Coolant flush/replacement
    Gas drain and Tank clean
    Fuel pump replacement
    Fuel filter replacement
    Injector cleaning/replacement
    Intercooler replacement
    Battery replacement

The interim goal is to get them fixed before it cools off too much and enjoy them for the rest of the season.

Long term goal is to yank the motors, scrap the hulls, toss 300 chargers on both, dump them in a pair of stx hulls and hopefully run 80ish.

Are there any common issues from salt water skis? On the kawasaki side we have issues with waterbox corrosion, exhaust manifolds, and one cooling line.

Adding a link to the eventual conversion builds. HERE

Thanks,

Sean

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190914_210750~2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	453813
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 09-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the hose connections going to the heat exchanger. the oem spring clamps are crap and with salt exposure they are likely to let go. need some norma clamps for those

crappy area to work. The nipple are plastic and tend to break too..if things don't go well you have to remove the ride plate to repair. use a hair dryer to warm things a bit before attempting to remove the hoses

outside of that, you have a pretty solid to do list

might want to replace the oil pressure senders too, you'll know about that as soon as you fire them up

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    check the hose connections going to the heat exchanger. the oem spring clamps are crap and with salt exposure they are likely to let go. need some norma clamps for those

crappy area to work. The nipple are plastic and tend to break too..if things don't go well you have to remove the ride plate to repair. use a hair dryer to warm things a bit before attempting to remove the hoses

outside of that, you have a pretty solid to do list

might want to replace the oil pressure senders too, you'll know about that as soon as you fire them up
    Great, I will add it to the list. Thanks Pete.

I picked up a stainless parallel plate exchanger for when I swap the motors over so if I break the nipple off I may just swap that over rather than mess with it.

Sean

+1
    I'm excited to see how it goes putting those in some stx15's . Good luck
    Keep us posted on the swap
    Last edited by Ryanfunfishing; 09-15-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Cant spell

6. +1 by:

+1
    A little crusty but not as bad as I had feared. Remember kids, fluid film is your friend. Bonus frog from the gtx, Dog approves of the new shady spot under the js550, also a project.

So far I have ahmmhad 4 roaches crawl over me while elbow deep in hull, got peed on by the little tree frog above, and thrown 3 mud dobber nests into the street.

The rxtx gauge is cracked and has moisture in it, the gtx does not. Going to pull and toss both intercoolers and see if I can get my hands on another x charger or an et127+4 for cheap for the gtx. The rxtx charger is getting rebuilt as stock for now.

The rxtx hood strut is siezed and broken off. The dry box is missing the lid and on the gtx there are no clamps for the dry box.

Coming from the kawasaki world, I didn't realize how damn big these batteries are.

Other than being coated in grease and mold, the hulls look reasonably clean inside.

Sean

Name:	20190915_085758.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	453823

Name:	20190915_085807_HDR.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	453824

Name:	20190915_085740_HDR.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	453825
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 09-15-2019 at 03:46 PM.

+1
    looks like you'll need a half a dozen cans of PB blaster/fogging oil just to get started

the throttle bodies might be junk

I'd throw a scanner on them just to see what error are sitting in the ecus

IAC's are likely junk too

I'm sitting on a trio of STX 15's now, might be looking to do a similar conversion down the winter road

+1
    Currently planning to give it all a good clean this afternoon and check it over once I get the grot and bugs out. I need to see if I can snag the scan tool from a buddy of mine.

Supposedly they "ran" but one had an air temp code and the other one had a battery code.

When I got the skis, the charger outlet hose was off so I doubt that.

Oil was clean which was a nice surprise.

I did some looking around but never found an answer, do the fuel pump assemblies take standard walbro style pumps in them?

I am thinking I will clean the inside, yank the manifolds off and do a borescope check on the valves to make sure they aren't super crusty.

Sean

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...light=GSS342BX

that covers the bits you need to replace the fuel pump, including the filters

I've used these pumps with success in the past when the pump cartridges weren't badly corroded

you'll want to sniff up the thread on the 4-tec valve issues, there is a certain number valve ( which can be spied be removing the valve cover) that is two piece and tended to break off if they were allowed to corrode ( a two piece valve)

from the looks of the hull, you want to make sure these valves are not in play before you try to fire the engines.

borescope= lifesaver

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...light=GSS342BX

that covers the bits you need to replace the fuel pump, including the filters

I've used these pumps with success in the past when the pump cartridges weren't badly corroded

you'll want to sniff up the thread on the 4-tec valve issues, there is a certain number valve ( which can be spied be removing the valve cover) that is two piece and tended to break off if they were allowed to corrode ( a two piece valve)

from the looks of the hull, you want to make sure these valves are not in play before you try to fire the engines.

borescope= lifesaver
    Should have no worries on the valves, those were the 04-05 year motors , with the sodium filled exhaust valves. .

+1
    New AEM 320lph fuel pumps, new NGK plugs, new OEM oil pressure switches, ARP flywheel bolts ordered.

Going to keep cleaning these nasty skis up.

Sean

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information