vx 1000 vs lx ultra, long range offshore fishing and spearfishing?

I didnt realise we had a fishing section when I posted this in Yamaha, Im looking to extend the VX from 270km range to 400+ via 43l tote which I saw on an fxho on here.

Im looking at one of these 2 skis.

I almost got sucked into the Sea Doo Fish Pro but its a lot of coin for a lot of features I dont think are well thought out.

The main desire I have is fuel economy and large hull, which is where the Sea Doo would have been good for he hull.

Im thinking a Used Yamaha VX and extending the the fuel range with a 12 Gal tote with proper brass fittings etc to the breather valves etc that I have seen a few do on here.

Im not so concerned about fish bin as I will use insulated catch bags and salt ice. Although this does limit me to having no rod holders so havnt thought that through yet.

On the other hand I have heard good things about the Kawasaki. And the hull looks the best of the lot.

But it comes down to fuel efficiency.

The VX Cruiser 1000cc does about 250km cruising at 48kph. In other words 5 hours cruising. Adding another 43l will give me another 172km, so about 400-420km range, which would be brilliant for offshore game fishing and deep water fishing. Also a low hours used one will let me fit high quality 10-12" sonar/gps system.

Any thoughts?

+1
    VX hull is considerably smaller than a LX. If I planned to go offshore any distance I would want the largest hull possible in the event of getting caught in a squall with 5-6 footers or more . Prefer a Yamaha powerplant to a Kawasaki though. Need to look for a Yamaha SUV conversion with a VX powerplant in it. Can be bought for $3-5K Has lots of nice semi-dry storage

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marineking View Post
    ... look for a Yamaha SUV conversion with a VX powerplant in it. ...
    Which ‘VX engine’ are you thinking of?

1.8 liter HO
    1100cc MR-1

I presume you are not suggesting the Tr-1 3 cylinder Yamaha engine.

+1
    The 19 FX Cruiser is long and 50" wide. The reason I bought one was for fishing and ocean stability. Rides great and very well balanced for fishing activities.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearoSki View Post

. . . .

Any thoughts?

In addition to your above concerns (fuel range, reliability, hull-size), you need to also look into overall sea-worthiness. Especially under open-ocean conditions, being wave/swell action, being adrift for long periods (engine off). Take the Ultra LX for example . . . historically, there are dozens of posts from owners complaining of repeated hydro-locking due to water encroachment – likely coming in via the exhaust system. Worst-yet, being unable to keep it cleared long enough to restart the motor before re-hydro’ing again. Considering being 30 miles off-shore, that would not be a good thing!

So consider not just model/mfr, but your total weight/gear which dictates the avg draft height, and how that draft affects these other engineered systems, like exhaust-loops, check-valves, and coolant discharge lines, etc … Not picking on the Ultra, other mfr brands have issues to, so it comes down to which mfr/model has the most sea-worthy design as a baseline, then what can be done (modified) to hardened it even more for open ocean conditions. For example, on my Yamaha, I have chosen to re-engineer the exhaust system for a through-hull discharge while increasing the back-flow loop height almost double. I have deleted the bilge siphon system to get rid of a potential check-valve failure, while increasing my electrical bilge-pump GPM handling flow-rates, along with an above water-line discharge port. Increased electrical redundancy aka dual battery system. Re-routed (hung higher loops) in all my coolant tells (discharge lines). I have even added a foot-well drain system, in-case a wave fills them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

1.8 liter HO
    1100cc MR-1

Most of the conversions Ive seen for sale were using the VX 1100 single throttle body engine. Height of the block was a issue, not sure if a 1.8 litre is stuffable in a SUV hull easily. I believe the inside seat bottoms were having to be shaved for clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

1.8 liter HO
    1100cc MR-1

Im now looking at the FXHO 1100, so thats what an MR 1. seems popular for DIY servicing etc. The seadoo gtx 155 was my original thoughts as its hull is the biggest (St3). But people are saying not to and go with yamaha. Im not sure why but Im new to all this.

Im looking at 10yo models with about 100 hour on them, which there seems to be a market flooded with skis with low hours. Not sure why. I plan to use mine and sell my big fiberglass boat.

Thanks MarineKing. I will hit you up if I decide to go that route and get some advice.

+1
    "I" would not go with an MR1, specifically the HO 1100cc. Firstly, by this time, there are likely less OEMs and more cloned & reman'ed ones left, meaning inferior parts. Second, the OEM 1100 was often thought to have been underengineer / pushed to hard, hince why thrown rods are so common. If you go MR1, go 1000cc, and make sure its a real original Yamaha - not a clone or reman. Better yet, find a 2009+ 1.8L NA for one of the best engines on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    "I" would not go with an MR1, specifically the HO 1100cc. Firstly, by this time, there are likely less OEMs and more cloned & reman'ed ones left, meaning inferior parts. Second, the OEM 1100 was often thought to have been underengineer / pushed to hard, hince why thrown rods are so common. If you go MR1, go 1000cc, and make sure its a real original Yamaha - not a clone or reman. Better yet, find a 2009+ 1.8L NA for one of the best engines on the market.
    Where I live there are a lot of genuine full OEM 2011 1100cc waveriders. Thats a shame as the gas is MUCH better on the 1100cc model, the 1800cc only gets 2/3 the fuel economy.

Keep in mind Im only buying it for fishing and freediving 1 up, sometimes 2 if Im freediving.

I will take the advice given if people really think the 1100cc is unreliable. My life is not worth the savings in fuel economy. Im told the 1800cc is also easier to work on DIY maintenance.....

Thread Information