VX 1000cc Yammy or Kawasaki LX ultra for long distance fishing?

Im looking at one of these 2 skis.

I almost got sucked into the Sea Doo Fish Pro but its a lot of coin for a lot of features I dont think are well thought out.

The main desire I have is fuel economy and large hull, which is where the Sea Doo would have been good for he hull.

Im thinking a Used Yamaha VX and extending the the fuel range with a 12 Gal tote with proper brass fittings etc to the breather valves etc that I have seen a few do on here.

Im not so concerned about fish bin as I will use insulated catch bags and salt ice. Although this does limit me to having no rod holders so havnt thought that through yet.

On the other hand I have heard good things about the Kawasaki. And the hull looks the best of the lot.

But it comes down to fuel efficiency.

The VX Cruiser 1000cc does about 250km cruising at 48kph. In other words 5 hours cruising. Adding another 43l will give me another 172km, so about 400-420km range, which would be brilliant for offshore game fishing and deep water fishing. Also a low hours used one will let me fit high quality 10-12" sonar/gps system.

Any thoughts?

Out of those choices, the Kawasaki would be best. They have insane storage capacity! Not a ski out there competes with the Kawasaki 212 liters of storage. The fish pro is 149 liters storage (not sure if that counts the cooler or not) and yamaha vx has a paltry 96 liters. The latest model Yamaha FX has 166 liters storage. The yamaha VX does not ever come up as a good offshore, rough weather machine. The ultra however, is the undisputed king of rough weather.

I would consider a FXHO in place of the VX. It stacks up much better for size, stability with the ultra. The ultra hull ride is great when its rough. Though i did find low speed maneuvering to be terrible especially when docking. To much throttle input required, over shooting etc. FX should also beat the kawasaki fuel economy.

Add a bilge pump, some of the yamahas have them, kawasaki does not and I have seen one nearly sink...silly.

Jetski sink, crikey !

Which has the better fuel economy?

i would go fxho yamaha over the kawasaki in a hard beat...but if ur talking non s/c Kawasaki and keeping it stock it would b ok then.

+1
    Out of your two choices, I'd say the Ultra for your needs. The storage capacity and rough water handling are hard to beat.

I’d be careful of the ULTRA LX naturally aspirated for fishing.

I have one, a 2007. I have been stuck at sea with it because water filled the water box when it is loaded enough (add the weight of your 20kg tuna) and the bobbing adds to the problem, next thing you get water in your exhaust and then your cylinders and then you are using a droque anchor through four foot pounding surf on low tide whilst the sharks board are waiting on the beach with a land cruiser to pull your ski up and out the water through the shore break.

You won’t have this problem with the supercharged Kawasaki’s due to their incomparably better exhaust pipe design.

I added a sketch of the problem to one of the threads. It doesn’t look like they have corrected the problem in the later models.

Which engine type is least likely to have issues at sea like water in carbs? Yammy, Sea doo or Kawasaki?

The yammy 1800 is nice but its fuel consumption is a lot more than an 1100. Im not after 100kph speed. Im after fuel economy. The 1100 cruises at 50kph @ 9.41 miles per gallon or 4kpl. Thats the VX Cruiser 1100. As a comparison the 1800cc gets 6.46 at 50kph. Also I need the best engine for trolling, 6-10knots etc

Im sure the FXHO came in an 1100 first?

So whats the benefit of the fxho over the VX cruiser?

It seems Yammy are popular for DIY mechanics?

I am thinking of putting a 20hz radio in my 1100cc FXHO (thats what I think Im getting now for fuel economy) when Im trolling 50km out to sea. Carry a cellphone clearly. And a personal epirb and really how unsafe can it be?

I always pick good weather windows when fishing in any boat anyway as I hate the wind chop.

So if I break down, 20hz will get me back to the coastguard for a tow back.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is a 20Hz radio?

Thread Information