Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a 1999 Ultra with 145 hours and I'm considering service and performance

Hello,

I have a 1999 Ultra that was purchased new by my parents. I don't know if I am hearing things or not, but it seems to have developed a whine. It has never really been serviced outside of two failures. An oil hose popped off and killed a cylinder. We replaced it ourselves and didn't get the hose on correctly and it did it again... Since then no trouble other than the gas gauge not working. A few years ago I reran oil hoses and installed zip ties. It has always been garage kept and put up for the winter without fuel. I'm wondering if the pump bearings are on their way out.

What service should be performed after 145 hours? It still runs like a champ other than the whining I hear. I am open to any preventative maintenance and upgrades if it would be an opportune time to get them.

I was considering skiworks but read some bad things about them...

Thoughts?

+1
    That whining is your pump, if itís never been rebuilt itís long overdue for a rebuild.

3. +1 by:

That was my assumption. I guess I'll search for pump service threads. Any other parts I should service/upgrade? Should the pump be upgraded or just shimmed with less clearance on rebuild?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99UltraTX View Post
    That was my assumption. I guess I'll search for pump service threads. Any other parts I should service/upgrade? Should the pump be upgraded or just shimmed with less clearance on rebuild?
    Itís up to you on just servicing or upgrading, if youíre gonna upgrade Iíd recommend sending it to groupK for a blueprint if youíre gonna send it to be upgraded. A solas 16/20 would be good too, and again get one from groupK because they check them for trueness and such. 150-200 hours would be a good time too to look at a top end job but since you just replaced a cylinder you might get a second opinion on that.

if your not planning on rebuilding the pump I have a fresh water pump complete that came out a ski with 60 hours,everything looks new.

+1
    Does it have the Triple Pisser Mod? Have you replaced the engine mounts? Driveshaft seal & bearing ('holder')? Zip ties are NOT acceptable for securing the oil lines, use .025" stainless steel safety wire or Oetiker clamps. How about an electric bilge pump?

I drilled out the holes for the two long bolts for the expansion chamber and re-threaded them to accept the larger bolts used on later years.

I have not done any of those things. Where is the best place to buy parts? I need a fuel level sensor too.

I have not done any of those things. Where is the best place to buy parts? I need a fuel level sensor too.
    Triple pisser mod you can get from Skiworx. I ordered one a few months ago and I received it in about a week. Not a hard install. It allows you to see that all three cylinders are getting properly cooled. It also reduces the chance of a foreign object causing a blockage because the fittings are straight instead of 90 degrees.

The rest of the stuff you can find on eBay, PWC engines, the OEM sponsor on top of this page, etc.

+1
    I would suggest getting the driveshaft holder from Rhaas. I just bought OEM pisser nozzles and re-routed the hoses. You have to block off the rear pisser outlets. I did not put straight fittings in my heads, but I did add a cooling water strainer.

What is a driveshaft holder?

Does anyone rebuild/modify these pumps anymore? Skiworx gets bad reviews and GroupK won't respond to an email after two days.

How can I test the motor mounts to know they're bad? That job is almost $300.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information