Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    The driveshaft bearing/seal assembly is called the 'holder'. They split when they get old and flood the hull, which is one reason that an electric bilge pump is a really good idea. Ruptured cooling lines are another reason to install one.

Don't know of a way to test the engine mounts, but yours are 20 years old. If you do any jumping, spins, etc., having a mount break and having the engine loose in the hull isn't a good idea. It probably won't come completely loose, it will just destroy the drive coupling and probably the crankshaft.

These things aren't cheap to maintain. A new fuel sender will set you back over $365. A driveshaft holder runs $275. Keep the display protected from the sun, and seal the connector on the back to keep water out--a new one is over a grand.

Regarding the sender I think I'm just going to run until it bogs and then reserve my way home. That's an absurd amount for a level sensor. Thanks for all the other comments. I'll check around inside the hull.

You can get a WSM drive shaft holder on eBay for just over $100. The concern with the drive shaft holder is the rubber can fail without warning and the ski can flood. Unfortunately you have to remove the motor to change it. I can get the motor out in about 20 minutes now that I've done it a few times. If your mechanically inclined and have the tools give it a shot. Get a hold of the service manual first though.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The driveshaft bearing/seal assembly is called the 'holder'. They split when they get old and flood the hull, which is one reason that an electric bilge pump is a really good idea. Ruptured cooling lines are another reason to install one.

Don't know of a way to test the engine mounts, but yours are 20 years old. If you do any jumping, spins, etc., having a mount break and having the engine loose in the hull isn't a good idea. It probably won't come completely loose, it will just destroy the drive coupling and probably the crankshaft.

These things aren't cheap to maintain. A new fuel sender will set you back over $365. A driveshaft holder runs $275. Keep the display protected from the sun, and seal the connector on the back to keep water out--a new one is over a grand.
    WoW I just sold a mint display for 200.0 with two Orange keys & Orange switch.

Quote Originally Posted by 99UltraTX View Post
    What is a driveshaft holder?

Does anyone rebuild/modify these pumps anymore? Skiworx gets bad reviews and GroupK won't respond to an email after two days.

How can I test the motor mounts to know they're bad? That job is almost $300.

Thanks all!
    Well group k has a big bold phone number you can call like us old school boys use to do,i know it sounds strange,but it works,200.00 will get your pump rebuilt without a upgrade to the impellor.

Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    You can get a WSM drive shaft holder on eBay for just over $100. The concern with the drive shaft holder is the rubber can fail without warning and the ski can flood. Unfortunately you have to remove the motor to change it. I can get the motor out in about 20 minutes now that I've done it a few times. If your mechanically inclined and have the tools give it a shot. Get a hold of the service manual first though.
    Hey Hey Hey, he's not pulling chit out,give it a rest,not until it sinks.

GroupK responded. When it cools off a little I'll tear into it. Going to send the heads to them for modification along with pump rebuild and new prop.

What exactly is the head modification? I've got machinist friends.

I'll do the motor mounts and driveshaft bearing too.

Blue print a pump? Please have whoever is doing it explain what is even done in that process.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Blue print a pump? Please have whoever is doing it explain what is even done in that process.
    Can anyone here explain it?

There is thread linked below about it. If I am buying a new prop one would think it has already been made properly for $300...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=756024

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information