Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    I had my plate done by Jim’s By far best plate for my application. 95 MPH no bounce!
    On what ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    On what ski?

2013 FX Turbo. And 2014 FX Turbo.

+1
    2013 FX Turbo. And 2014 FX Turbo.
    That's great- but this thread is about the 2019's. Posting results on different hulls is just confusing the issue...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    That's great- but this thread is about the 2019's. Posting results on different hulls is just confusing the issue...

Yes and no. I / we have had this issue way too many times on way too many different hulls / ski models. Starting with the FX 160 then the 2009 FZ and the 2012 VXR platforms. I happened to have owned all three skies and we couldn’t find a way to make the Riva plates work without the bouncing conditions. However a plate cut by Jim’s Performance always came on top correcting the bouncing. Also the bouncing got better as you added performance to the ski and speeds improved.

Having said that; there is no better plate than Rivas for any type of ocean condition or when racing the Kissimmee twisties with constant 270 degree turns.

The problem isn’t the plate, the problem originated at your intake grate contacting the water surface, flat waters vs choppy waters affecting the effect the intake grate has changing it’s hydrodynamics. A more aggressive angle on your plate will create your intake grate to act more like a scoop racing pump tunnel pressures and that pressure has to go somewhere and in so it tries to skip over and it creates the bouncing in doing so.

Ive got an old thread on my 2012 VXR where I tried many different things including pump tunnel relief valves which it helped some.

Interesting enough you can make the bounce go away by leaning your entire body to one side of your ski on any ski no matter how bad it bounces.

Results on my 2012 VXR were horrible on flat water however it was the best performing ski at the time on light chop as it pierced through.

Chances are you will have more success having your plate cut by Jim’s. There is a link on the online store to order the service at a discounted rate.

The above is only intended to be informative. Don’t start jumping on me now

Good Luck, Julio...
    Last edited by abracadabra; 10-20-2019 at 10:23 AM.

+1
    Interesting write up . I remember the days of fast boats and nose cones on the outboards. Water flow is a complex thing. Be interesting to see what happens on the 2020 models with the new pump.

+1
    The above is only intended to be informative. Don’t start jumping on me now

Good Luck, Julio...
    No jumping- the information is appreciated as I'm sure You can appreciate how confusion can be easily generated by the reader of a post that is nonspecific.

+1
    From Riva ad regarding the 2019 FX RIDE Plate
    • "Superior handling performance
    • 5 MPH Top Speed Increase!(With speed limiter removed using MaptunerX)
    • Improved acceleration
    • Reduced porposing (SIC)
    • Improved straight line tracking at high speed"
    Except they porpoise so bad it is unsafe.....but I guess no porposing ....

+1
    I have to admit, all these reports about bad handling with stock ride plate and porpoising with the Riva on the new FX is a big turn-off for me. I had planned to buy a new 2020 since they finally fixed the pump but will wait until I know for sure that Jim’s plate will work well on a Stage 2. Plan B would be to buy a GP instead despite that it is not nearly as family friendly as the bigger hull on the FX.

+1

2019 fx shvo with Riva plate porpoising

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf714 View Post
    I have to admit, all these reports about bad handling with stock ride plate and porpoising with the Riva on the new FX is a big turn-off for me. I had planned to buy a new 2020 since they finally fixed the pump but will wait until I know for sure that Jimís plate will work well on a Stage 2. Plan B would be to buy a GP instead despite that it is not nearly as family friendly as the bigger hull on the FX.

Also they didnít finally fix the pump on any of these skis. Added 5mm to the stator. The pump tunnel is still 155mm and the transom is 155mm.

+1
    honestly ,,,, my oem plate didn’t feel unsafe, even at almost 80mph. The rear end felt a little loose while cornering , but I had no porpoising. With that being said I only Rec ride.. I know some guys that race closed course and they said the oem plate felt dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf714 View Post
    I have to admit, all these reports about bad handling with stock ride plate and porpoising with the Riva on the new FX is a big turn-off for me. I had planned to buy a new 2020 since they finally fixed the pump but will wait until I know for sure that Jim’s plate will work well on a Stage 2. Plan B would be to buy a GP instead despite that it is not nearly as family friendly as the bigger hull on the FX.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information